• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Villager Technique Discovered: Shovel Grab

Anomalous Adam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Anomalous_Adam
3DS FC
2020-0165-2865
So I've been playing around a lot with Villager and I found out that once your opponent has been buried you can grab him as soon as he pops out of the hole and then quickly hit back as if doing a backwards throw then proceed by using the down smash again. I've been able to get a level 9 opponent to 48% from 0 this way, after that it stops working.

Last edited:

Anomalous Adam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Anomalous_Adam
3DS FC
2020-0165-2865
I really need to test this against an actual person. It works consistently so I'd assume it would work against a real player, if not this may be the beginning of the Villager meta-game.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm trying to grab people out of being buried, and it's not working. Does it require specific spacing or something?

Anomalous Adam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Anomalous_Adam
3DS FC
2020-0165-2865
I'm trying to grab people out of being buried, and it's not working. Does it require specific spacing or something?
You have to grab as soon as he escapes from the hole, it requires very precise timing. Another technique is to bury them then use down B from the first stage until it grows into a tree. The tree will launch the enemy when it grows, very useful, much better then smash attacks IMO and a perfect way to end the shovel grab chain. VIllager is looking REALLY good.

Edit: Err, wait nvm you need to have a sprout before you do the burial smash it seems. Still a useful camping technique, maybe?

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
You have to grab as soon as he escapes from the hole, it requires very precise timing. Another technique is to bury them then use down B from the first stage until it grows into a tree. The tree will launch the enemy when it grows, very useful, much better then smash attacks IMO and a perfect way to end the shovel grab chain. VIllager is looking REALLY good.

Edit: Err, wait nvm you need to have a sprout before you do the burial smash it seems. Still a useful camping technique, maybe?
Okay, it works! Thank you!

Also, using an axe after burying an opponent can set up for an F-Air or B-Air.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, this seems really interesting, if this is consistent it could definitely be a great tool for Villager. How difficult is the timing on the grab?

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
Yo Villager is so ****ing insane.
I always took that "Villager the Pillager/Killager" as a joke but now I'm genuinely afraid to see what competitive players can do with the little bugger.

Help. :eek:

Last edited:

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to do this, but it's really hard to time correctly. I haven't tried the downB shovel thing, I'm doing the grab noe. It works in the demo too, right?

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
I can't get the grab out of the ground release, or the backthrow > dsmash. how did you get to 40+ %?

Anomalous Adam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Anomalous_Adam
3DS FC
2020-0165-2865
I can't get the grab out of the ground release, or the backthrow > dsmash. how did you get to 40+ %?
Are you making sure to start the combo chain when the opponent is at a low %? The timing is very tricky, it took several attempts to replicate the first time I was able to do it(by accident). I'd say it's on par with ice climbers chain grab brawl timing. After the opponent pops out of the hole you have to grab on the exact frame and then quickly hit back as if doing a back throw(but not really, gonna edit the post to clarify) then doing a down smash again. I'm pretty sure it's a glitch because it feels 'off'

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
I'd love if someone could post a video or gif of this, to get a better idea of how it works

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
at low %, cpu's mash out instantly for me, idk how it'd be possible to get this on human's, also, when you take into account variation of mash-out speed

what he said^, really wanna see this, even if it's iffy on humans!!

Last edited:

Steve178

Smash Rookie
Villager is crazy OP. i have a friend who's made him her main since he was announced and it's crazy how many things he has.

Gyroid Rocket projectile keeps opponents away and sets up for grabs and follow up umbrellas, pocket eating up projectiles you throw at him, crazy range on that up smash, powerful side smash, and god tier recovery.

Villager is the new Meta knight and needs to be banned.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Villager is crazy OP. i have a friend who's made him her main since he was announced and it's crazy how many things he has.

Gyroid Rocket projectile keeps opponents away and sets up for grabs and follow up umbrellas, pocket eating up projectiles you throw at him, crazy range on that up smash, powerful side smash, and god tier recovery.

Villager is the new Meta knight and needs to be banned.
Most characters' dashes are fast enough for them to just run at him while he's setting up the Lloid Rocket and whack him out of it. Literally from 2/3rds of the way across Battlefield in the time it takes that rocket to come out. And it doesn't have a hitbox while he's setting it up, so there's a slight blind spot right in front of him. Run in and Dash Attack!

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Okay, so you know how Villager's Down B will give a wood chunk randomly? Guess what? I got a cherry randomly! Has this happened to anyone else? It was a fruit that healed, and it has happened only once.

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Okay, so you know how Villager's Down B will give a wood chunk randomly? Guess what? I got a cherry randomly! Has this happened to anyone else? It was a fruit that healed, and it has happened only once.
were items turned on?

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
oh wow, that's interesting.
I heard from someone that it's possible for trees to drop maxim tomatoes.

brb grinding trees

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
is there a video of this? If not, can you make one! :)

Also, I think this should be in the Villager thread

Last edited:

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
oh wow, that's interesting.
I heard from someone that it's possible for trees to drop maxim tomatoes.

brb grinding trees
I did it again! After manyt many two minute matches of just spamming down B trees, I think I know how it may work.
It is all based on your percent, or at least, how much higher your percent is vs your opponent's percent.
Whenever he and I were at the same precenet, my tree would never drop and tree blocks. However, the more and more I got away from his percent, the more likely I got at getting a chunk. Once I got to maybe 50-100 percent higher than the opponent, I began to get trunk chunks every single time, or at least 9/10 times.
I have only gotten fruit twice though. The first was a cherry, the second a pear. I ate it the first time, the second the opponent. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a pic but I will next time. :)
I have a feeling the fruit will be about as rare as Mr. Saturn with Peach.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Mods please forgive me for this double post. But I cannot wait for someone to make a comment just to make another post.. I will edit it soon.
is there a video of this? If not, can you make one! :)

Also, I think this should be in the Villager thread
Here are pics of the fruit (Sorry for bad quality. Click to enlarge)

the opponent is Pikachu, and he was launched from the tree. I would have taken a pic with the tree, but I as too slow on the pause. But this is from the NA demo, and it is obviously the Omega Battlefield form. What are your thoughts. After 50-100+ trees, this is only the third fruit. It heals percent, but I had little percent and the level 1 computer didn't pick it up :/. It despawns REALLY quick. In 2 seconds roughly. I am guessing it heals a little more than the fruit Issabelle sends out due to its ridiculous rarity.

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
I GOT A PEACH!! (on omega battlefield)

fruit hype

Top Bottom