• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced tactic help?

Spanky-Joe

Smash Cadet
Yes, You may think I'm a n00b for asking this, but I need some help with some advanced brawl tactics. I know DI and that's about it, seriously. So can I get a guide or something similar to help me up my game? I'm fairly good against my friends but I want to be better. My best character is Marth in case anyone wants to know. I appreciate the help.

:phone:

:phone:

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
Well since your a marth main your going to want to work on your spacing for getting tippers, and your going to want to learn the various grab release tricks that marth has on certain characters. If you want to learn I would suggest checking marths

Kellz

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissKellyAesop
3DS FC
2466-4507-1948
Use the search button, my friend. Or, go to the Marth board.

I am unfamiliar with any sort of strategic discussion in a specific thread.

There are obviously different strategies depending upon the character you use due to the options they have and the effect and range of their moves. Also, it depends upon the opposing character you are facing. Some strategies get changed depending upon the sort of trends you see from an opponent.

There might be a more fundamental strategy which you can use to base all your decisions off of. Most simply, you want to hit them offstage, do not get hit back yourself, and prevent them from ever allowing themselves to get back on the stage.

Okay, as example. Say you hit a character into the air. You chase after them. If you commit to an attack, they might air dodge through you! Now, the match has turned in an instant. They will reach the ground before you will and you are in a bad spot.

What could you do against this? If you were meta knight, you could space an Uair so that it would hit them if they did nothing, but you could still attack them if they air dodged. For any other character, this is not really possible due to range/speed of an aerial. So instead, you wait outside of the opponents range (aerials) for them to do something. The moment they commit first to an attack or airdodge, you could be there to react to it. Even if you wait until you reach the ground this is okay. All characters have some sort of landing lag (some smaller than others) that you can punish with say a dash attack.

However, as soon as you transition to being on the ground the options you choose will once again change. For example, if the opponent still had there 2nd jump, they could 2nd jump just before the ground and your dash attack would miss. If they already used their 2nd jump this is not a problem.

Overall, there are a ton of strategies you could use and it affects the options you select. Most of it comes with experience and slowly working out one thing at a time. The simplest thing you can do is just keep playing the game with people.

Top Bottom