• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Royology! First post!

j3ly

Smash Champion
Seeing as im new to this site in general, a warm hello!!

This is my first online community as a whole, so please be nice - dunno about this site, but there seem to be alot of kids (mostly lonely kids) who like to embellish themselves in online dominance rituals, such as better sp33lling pl0x, ur a noob etc, etc,. Please dont start that crap! Seriously!!

Moving on, this is a short (at the moment) guide on what i've found out about Roy since starting playing him earlier today. He kicks ***! Way more to my play style than Marth, as Mario is my main. Later i'll include my opinion and a detailed description on Roy, but frankly i finally got new batteries for my keyboard and don't want to dwell on this for too long.

Note before i begin:
I am far from the best Roy. Not even close, not even skimming the barrel, and some may question my authority on writing a guide a day into my discovery - i know i wish more people wrote guides on Mario, even short ones, because its good to gather as much information as you can. Even if 90% of the things i'm about to write have already been covered, that 90% will be phrased in a different way, and the 10% will be new information.
Enjoy.

*Insert alot of general information here, later*

||| Importance of shffling |||
Defence:- Now, Roy, when not l-cancelled (i'm talking aerials only here) is a very punishable character. The majority of his aerials have a good startup time, but nearly all of them are laggy as hell afterwards. if you miss the chances are your going to be punished regardless, but to redice that risk, and i cant stress this enough - always short hop, fast fall, l-cancel.

Offence:- Dont need to go into much detail here - shffl'd moves have 1/2 the lag time, so you recover from the attack twice as fast. It doesn't take a genius to realise that faster recovery means another attack can follow quicker.

||| Roy's hidden attacks!! |||
I'm no doubt the 50,000th person to realise this, but by changing the order of Roys fast-fall and l-cancelled attack, you can get a different result. I'll go through the moves separatly.
** This applies to a perfected shffl action - try his Fair(2(see down)), and if you can follow with an immediate ftilt or neutral a, you have it down.**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fair(1) - Perform the aerial immediatly after jumping, then fast-fall.
- This means that you will hit the opponent quicker, but wont be able to perform a follow-up attack as soon as his Fair(2) would be able to. I've been using this to start combos, as the startup time is quicker.

*The red curvature of the blade wont touch the floor, it will arch infront of and below Roy.

Fair(2) - Jump, fast-fall and immediatly follow up with the aerial. I use the c-stick because i personally think its more efficient, however as i said i'm far from a pro.
- I use this after an opponent is stunned, if im planning to throw in a ftilt or watever. Also imo its harder for the opponent to predict as the timing is kinda strange.

* the red curvature of Roys blade will arch down onto the floor - the hitbox is altered.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uair(1) - Perform the aerial immediatly after jumping, then fast-fall.
- Roy will perform the whole of his uair - it will even hit infront of and behind him on a short-hop, but will most likely be a tipper hit - then land again.
- I dont like it, too slow too obvious unless used for juggling.

*The red curatur ofRoy blade will swing above him in a completed aerial.*

Uair(2) - Jump, fast-fall and immediatly follow up with the aerial. I use the c-stick for speed.
- This is interesting and i wish i had a video. If you can get it efficient, Roy will only perform the first 5 or so frames of his uair, then return to position. It can be used as a opening attack, and leads perfectly to a sweet-spotted dsmash is the hit is tippered, and l-cancled. If Roys body overlaps the opponent, the hit will be a centre one with more damage and knockback, but not lead to a dsmash. However, if the hit is true, it combos into a tipper hit sometimes, then back to the dsmash.
- Funnily enough, if you tipper the uair(2), you can get in a very difficult (very), but confusing and hard to DI juggle. Try this out, plus the move leads into alot of his other moves nicely.

*The red curcvature of Roys blade appears then disappears at just below his head height. Very quick, discounting the jumping time*

Right... thats basically me for the night i have an early start 2morrow morning. After i do my stuff ill edit this post and continue!!

A thanks to people who read this very short guide, but not to the people who skimmed the page and caught this sentance out of the corner of their eye -_-

Night.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Pretty nice for a first post. You must know what you preach...welcome to smashboards, btw

It's looking good for a start, but I'd like to know what you intend to put in here that isn't already covered in the FAQ (I read your "90% already has been said" thing, don't worry). I like the fair and uair details, they're nice metagame tactics.

I hope to see more of this later...good aerial coverage so far

j3ly

Smash Champion
thanks dude.
and uuuhhhh.. i didnt think that far ahead, i saw batteries in a tv's remote and thought 'hey i could steal those and write a guide!!'
but yeah good idea, ill have a flick through and hope they missed some stuff out!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Hey! Welcome to the community.

Good start on your guide.

If you need videos, I can probably help you make them. I use a camera, so the quality won't be that good. But hey, I'm sure that's better than nothing.

Feel free to PM me or contact me by AIM.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Welcome to SWF!

Nice guide :) And I don't think you need to worry about oversaturation, the Roy community should be happy for all the stimulation it can get XD

LSDX

Wah!
You are one of the very rare new members who actually make intelligent contributions; I welcome that. Welcome to SWF!

Also: Roy's Our Boy!

The Immortal Sir NZ

Smash Apprentice
Congrats on making such an intelligent and helpful first post, and welcome to SWF!

On topic...

The delayed fair, I've done that on accident sometimes, and I too, find it very useful.
the delayed uair, I've never seen that one, i'll have too try it out sometime.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i already knew all of this stuff, but im sure theres a lot who dont. so thats great. its coming along good, cant wait to see it finished

LSDX

Wah!
Okay okay, now that we're done admiring his godly posting prowess, can we actually begin discussing the topic at hand? :B

Top Bottom