• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Captain Falcon Trials 2015

D

Deleted member

1. Shield drop

a. Regular shield drop/ shai drop

b. Shield drop after getting hit on shield with up-air

c. Perfect shield-drop knee punish on up-tilting marth beneath you

2. Hax-Dash

a. Invincible Hax Dash

3. Pivots

a. Pivot any move

b. Pivot after dash dancing, especially during a dash dance tech chase

c. Pivot --> f-tilt in the same direction you pivoted --> do it twice in a row

Any other ideas? must be tough but useful falcon tech

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Down throw->Knee no tech/tech in place + reaction regrab tech roll in 100% consistently on spacies.

This is always possible if you can place a knee on the no/tech in place option. Maybe uair is useful/easier too, more range, less lag.

I feel like using how far dair hitbox drags and how long it stays out as falcon could potentially be used to cover down throw->no/tech in place with a dash dair and if they don't do it then tech roll away you can grab them. One of those things that "feels" possible but idk. Basically another 3/4ths option that covers tech out instead of tech in, really think it's possible. You'd pretty much land right where their tech roll away would end. So u don't have to dash that far to get the regrab.

Good to see you grinding

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

for the first part, i don't see how its possible at certain percents and they are great at DI-ing (for knee)

If they DI down and away at certain percents, certain techs make it so you can't cover that option AND regrab tech roll. It works on bad players only who DI throws like noobs

Especially for falco

I'll only be convinced if some 20gx falcon somehow makes it happen

=

d-air has the most lag out of any aerial choice, so it seems even more impossible than knee

Rachman

be water my friend
Ya you can't do dair only uair (3 frame window) or knee (1 frame window) and have it be guaranteed. And ya it only works if they DI like a scrub off a throw but you could prob set it up off other tech chase situations.

Maybe pivot aerial and control your drift? So like pivot nair and then analog jump/drift backwards to make it even safer. Also, with 20xx we can see if our knee grabs are legit by telling the CPU to shield grab us frame perfect. Not that hard but still worth something imo. The only other thing I can think of is the aerial tech chase Gravy wants to do where he stomps all the tech rolls and power shields the get up attacks/regrabs tech in place. I wouldn't believe it was possible if he hadn't done it to me every single time when I played him. So, if you could consistently do that tech chase on the 20xx bots that would be insane.

SoapSuds

Smash Apprentice
Dashing out of crouch, Smashturn analog back jump. Pivot WD onto ledge and crouch pivot WD onto ledge.
Some easier stuff: fastfalling through platforms and uair before hitting the ground, same thing with dropping through BF platforms and stomping. Late uair/ knee into grab using 20xx so they try to grab you right after hitstun. Run into full back jump into aerials (nair being the hardest) + drift.

Edit - Getting perfect gentlemans with my **** because magnus's explanation is incorrect http://smashboards.com/threads/frame-data-the-way-gentleman-works.394171/
video proving his explenation isn't right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM8fGHxN6RA

Last edited:

The Shadow

Smash Apprentice
1.Fast-Fall Ledge grab.

a.Wavedash back fastfall ledge

b.Fast fall haxdash

c. If you're technically good enough pivot fast-fall ledge

Good enough?

Last edited:

pareto_effecient

Smash Rookie
Instant Uair and double jump without landing(so youre certain that you are doing it as early as possible)?

Scaremonger

Smash Apprentice
Is it really worth practicing the shielddrop knee on Marth's uptilt? If Marth tippers the uptilt, it takes 2 frame perfect inputs to hit Marth with the knee and Marth can just buffer the shield. If you're off by 1 single frame, Marth powershields the knee. I feel like upair would be way more lenient and almost just as good. At kill percents, bair might be the better option too. I've always been against the "I'm not going to practice this because it's hard" mentality, but going for the knee seems pretty risky when you could get nearly as good results with much less risk by using other aerials. Also, Marth is almost always going to be holding up after the uptilt anyway, so a shielddrop upair would probably almost always lead into knee unless the Marth reads the shielddrop aerial.

Otherwise, I think perfect shield stopping and shield pivots should be incorporated in some way. I also second Pareto's upair thing.

Last edited:

Macdaddy53156

Smash Rookie
I'be been messing around with dash back, pivot wavedash back as a retreating method. Also pivot aerials in general (especially nair). Also trying to get down dash, jump so that I kill the forward momentum. So I can have more control and not overshoot so much.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
The aerial drift spacing of different moves to create different timings and spacings à la Mang0

On super hard reads, position oriented spacing and observant/ safe spacing on shiek ftilt, fox/falco nairs dairs utilts, dash away and corner pressure. Being able to barely outspace their move/ create good trades seems good.

Also just messing with people with different air speeds sounds funny.

Last edited:

Bobojack

Smash Apprentice
Dash pivot wavedash back to ledge to fastfall to get to the ledge as fast as possible.

D

Deleted member

Is it really worth practicing the shielddrop knee on Marth's uptilt? If Marth tippers the uptilt, it takes 2 frame perfect inputs to hit Marth with the knee and Marth can just buffer the shield. If you're off by 1 single frame, Marth powershields the knee. I feel like upair would be way more lenient and almost just as good. At kill percents, bair might be the better option too. I've always been against the "I'm not going to practice this because it's hard" mentality, but going for the knee seems pretty risky when you could get nearly as good results with much less risk by using other aerials. Also, Marth is almost always going to be holding up after the uptilt anyway, so a shielddrop upair would probably almost always lead into knee unless the Marth reads the shielddrop aerial.

Otherwise, I think perfect shield stopping and shield pivots should be incorporated in some way. I also second Pareto's upair thing.
good players crouch everything and a knee at any percentage on marth is great. It's obviously extremely tough but that's the point of these trials, doing very difficult optimized stuff that pays off big time. I think Jeapie can do it easily iirc.

@ P pareto_effecient - That's a good one, also you can do the same thing with b-air too I believe it's good when you want to trick them and they are on a platform, also something to consider in teams

==

someone told me you can edge-jump knee and regrab edge, is that possible?

Myst0

Smash Cadet
someone told me you can edge-jump knee and regrab edge, is that possible?
yes it is super possible

I have done this and it is actually really easy I had a thread about this but never talked about using moves out of it and no one seemed to really acknowledge it. http://smashboards.com/threads/ledge-re-grab-mind-games.404896/

I was playing with the soft release grab into doulbe jump but doing the backflip jump that falcon has and you can do uair bair and fair and regrab ledge but fair is the hardest because of obv longest move of the 3 and thats why you cant do dair but it is super possible.

basically go to FD and go to the right ledge. then you seem to roll your stick the opposite way of the ledge:GCR::GCUR::GCU: and when you hit the top falcon well use his double jump and when you use a move with the analog you can use your other hand to do the rising aerials and like I mentioned super duper easy it only took me like 5 minutes to get use to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

its great for certain option coverages and people will think you ****ed up/ won't re-grab since no-one does it

Last edited by a moderator:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
you can also do the rising knee > regrab pressing down to drop from the ledge, but in that case you need to be basically perfect in double-jumping for the knee. Much easier for the soft release.

D

Deleted member

another good one i think, while holding ledge, drop off and quickly b-air/ up-air then double jump up-b to sweetspot ledge, n0ne style. More people should do it since

It's often a free kill vs people beneath you rather than potentially missing with edge hop--> stomp or w.e

both are better in different spots, i'd say up-air has better gimpability/ ability to hit if you use invincibility vs some recoveries if they come from below

it seems like it's impossible to: drop off b-air, double jump up-air --> up-b to grab ledge.

pareto_effecient

Smash Rookie
That's a good one, also you can do the same thing with b-air too I believe it's good when you want to trick them and they are on a platform, also something to consider in teams

I didnt think about that, thatd be really good. Frame wise you have a bit more leniency with bair, but I cant get it out that quickly do you do anything different? Just use a, or am I just slow with the cstick?

Theres a lot of offstage stuff Falcon can do thats good. I think most people have the simple dropzone stuff down. Dropzone Uair to DJ Uair is good and isnt that frame tight, someone told me you can dropzone knee to double jump uair and still recover I dont think its anymore useful than uair to uair but its cool to have down.

n0ne

Smash Ace
1. Shield drop

a. Regular shield drop/ shai drop

b. Shield drop after getting hit on shield with up-air

c. Perfect shield-drop knee punish on up-tilting marth beneath you

2. Hax-Dash

a. Invincible Hax Dash

3. Pivots

a. Pivot any move

b. Pivot after dash dancing, especially during a dash dance tech chase

c. Pivot --> f-tilt in the same direction you pivoted --> do it twice in a row

Any other ideas? must be tough but useful falcon tech
whats shai drop? havent heard that one

-bair to pivot gentlemans (good on shields/for pressure)
-ppl have forgotten bout nipple spike options
-edgecanceled stomp to fair/bair setups on missed tech on the stomp
-high angled ftilt after uthrow for di mixup followup
-CC to run up grab

Last edited:

Rhyme_

Smash Rookie
When you throw a semi floaty character (mosty marth and sheik) on to a platform, do an instant double jump bair to cover tech in place and still be able to grab the tech rolls. The instant double jump lets you land much faster than a full hop.

I don't know all the specifics for when it works and when it doesn't but I'm sure gravy does.

Last edited:

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
SHFFL dair into fair 5 times in a row (this is really nice on 20xx with save states). It gets you really used to handling all the various %'s your opponent may be at.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I didnt think about that, thatd be really good. Frame wise you have a bit more leniency with bair, but I cant get it out that quickly do you do anything different? Just use a, or am I just slow with the cstick?
Two things to keep in mind when you practice doing ledge-drop aerials is a) how fast you get your uair/bair after the drop and b) how fast you double jump out of the aerial. Your ledge drop is immediate, so just work on pressing a or cstick immediately after you press away to let go of the edge.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
Falcon is able to drop ledge bair --> double jump uair --> up-b --> grab ledge on all 6 stages. On all stages you need to be frame perfect and ride the stage wall to the ledge. From my testing it seems you will always regrab ledge on frame 45 of the up-B. See below for an example on Final Destination.

Notice how Falcon turns yellow on frame 30 of his uair. This means that Falcon is in the IASA frames of his uair (gecko code found Here). I was unaware until recently, but apparently you can't perform a B-special move during IASA frames. You have to wait until the IASA frames are over before being able to up-B. This allows no wiggle-room in execution. If you are a frame off the technique will fail.

Last edited:

flwns

Smash Cadet
Falcon is able to drop ledge bair --> double jump uair --> up-b --> grab ledge on all 6 stages. On all stages you need to be frame perfect and ride the stage wall to the ledge. From my testing it seems you will always regrab ledge on frame 45 of the up-B. See below for an example on Final Destination.

Notice how Falcon turns yellow on frame 30 of his uair. This means that Falcon is in the IASA frames of his uair (gecko code found Here). I was unaware until recently, but apparently you can't perform a B-special move during IASA frames. You have to wait until the IASA frames are over before being able to up-B. This allows no wiggle-room in execution. If you are a frame off the technique will fail.
I'm glad you figured this out. I tried to do this myself but was having trouble with acting with up b out of the upair IASA frames, cool stuff

pareto_effecient

Smash Rookie
Two things to keep in mind when you practice doing ledge-drop aerials is a) how fast you get your uair/bair after the drop and b) how fast you double jump out of the aerial. Your ledge drop is immediate, so just work on pressing a or cstick immediately after you press away to let go of the edge.
Thank you, but I actually am not having trouble with ledge drops. My problem is standing sh bair then double jumping before landing. Its not a problem with uair because I can use my palm to hit c-stick, but I cant get that consistently with bair. I think I could just use a to do it though.

Coyle

Smash Cadet
Thank you, but I actually am not having trouble with ledge drops. My problem is standing sh bair then double jumping before landing. Its not a problem with uair because I can use my palm to hit c-stick, but I cant get that consistently with bair. I think I could just use a to do it though.
I use A to do this. Once you get the timing down, you can bair, dj, bair bair before landing. Can do the same with uair. It's useful sometimes.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I have some that aren't very hard, but kind of useful.

(Any) Retreating aerial and ledge cancel it into ledgegrab. I'll call it a LCALG (Ledge canceled aerial ledge grab)
So like a retreating nair and then you cancel it onto the ledge and grab the ledge (because if you're facing backwards and you ledge cancel something you fall backwards automatically)

Personally, I think the most useful ones are retreating nair and uair, but dair has it's uses in edgeguarding. Bair is stupid.

Uair you don't necessarily need to ledge cancel it, but I guess both have their uses (LCALG and just SH the uair and grabbing ledge.

Pivot fhop aerial into ledge grab is also nice.

Last edited:

Aceflight

Smash Cadet
I have one that I've been doing recently, kinda hard for me but might be easy for others.

Use port-1 on Battlefield so that you spawn in the very middle. Right off spawn just wavedash back your way to the ledge and then drop-fastfall-grab it. The goal is to ONLY wavedash 3 times, no more than that. I don't think you have to be frame perfect, but it's just a little trial to keep your wavedashes tight. You can also do it to the right, just turn left when you spawn.

MrMaples

Smash Rookie
Edge guard stomp(edge cancel) ----> fastfall (grab edge) Covers instant tech side b on spacies(I think) and the edge cancel is hella swag.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
Edge guard stomp(edge cancel) ----> fastfall (grab edge) Covers instant tech side b on spacies(I think) and the edge cancel is hella swag.
This works really well on pretty much all the cast. Some have other responses, but edge guarding from a planked position works very well.

Top Bottom