• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Access to the "Hidden" Intro stages and more

Shog

Smash Ace
Everyone familiar with the intro of Smash Bros. 64 should remember the cutscenes in which the character models stand and do stuff. I always wondered though if the "stages" are playable:
One example?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVHT9jrUrQ 1:04

Furthermore, why aren't the only with cheats aviable (Meta Crystal and Battlefield) not used in competitive play? Or are they broken? Is there a good reason why they aren't used(despite cheats, but this hardly matters in this case)?

B Link

Smash Lord
I've tried moving the characters on those screens (e.g. pikachu cutscene, or the scene with kirby and mario). You can't =/. You can only move DK and Samus in the Congo scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ei9hYvoojQ

Accessing them with gameshark seems impossible, since the only "extra" maps (other than beta maps and battlefield, etc.) I've found when hex editing stage selection are special "BTT" modes on dreamland, hyrule etc. There's no targets just the pics of targets at the top and a timer. I tried all possible values (it goes from like 1 to ~30 iirc) so yeah

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think it's just because you have to have a gameshark to play them and makes it take longer to set up. Idk about the cutscene stages i don't think they are actually in the game.

Shog

Smash Ace
Ah that's too bad. Although (not sure how N64 hacking/modding scene is) it would be interesting if loading the graphics of the Mario/Kirby Cutscene into a normal level would be possible. Like rearranging the pointer of the graphics or something like that. Now that I think about it, can you put the intro music into a normal level? Just curious.

M!nt, I actually didn't know that people play that game on the Original N64, hence needing gameshark and setting stuff up. That's pretty cool

novakain

Smash Rookie
There is an SSB64 hacking scene, but I don't think it's very big at the moment. I'm currently working a texture replace cheat that will allow the pictures on the Stage Select screen to be swapped out. It's a lot more complicated than simply swap[ping a graphics pointer because the game loads things to the console RAM in texture packs, and if you want to change one individual texture you have to change the coding of the game a little bit. This can be done with gameshark pro, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a permanent cartridge mod. However before any intro stage shenanigans are explored we need to make a practical Final Destination cheat. #babysteps

Madao

Ah that's too bad. Although (not sure how N64 hacking/modding scene is) it would be interesting if loading the graphics of the Mario/Kirby Cutscene into a normal level would be possible. Like rearranging the pointer of the graphics or something like that. Now that I think about it, can you put the intro music into a normal level? Just curious.
N64 hacking scene is pretty inactive and the SSB64 hacking scene is dead. You're pretty much on your own for anything big you want to accomplish, unfortunately.
There are music swap codes, and I believe I've found the pointers to stage music so that I could patch a music swap hack if I ever wanted to, but idk if I even wrote it down lol. Now that I think about it, idk what the value is for the intro music.

I'm curious about your goals though. Are you trying to just patch a rom, or do you want to hack a cartridge? Rom hacks are much easier and have more potential.

If you are willing to work towards this goal, my best advice is to collect as much information as you can from other people's work. I wouldn't have gotten this far had I not used other people's work for a head start.

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
I was too lazy to read but can we play on the break the targets and platforms multiplayer?

Top Bottom