• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About the Pikmin

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Now, as we've seen in today's update, Olimar is here, and he's brought along the Pikmin once again. But, this has me curious. Will they make the Pikmin feel more like the Pikmin from the actual Pikmin franchise (such as Yellows and Whites being faster and Purples being slower)? Will they give them their other traits (Red's Immunity to Fire, Yellow's immunity to Electric, Blue's immunity to Water, White's immunity to Poison and Purple's extrodinary damage output) if they haven't already? I can't remember how Olimar played, as I haven't played Brawl in awhile, but I don't remember all of the traits being in, if any at all.

Also, with Pikmin 3 out in Japan right now, whose to say we won't get Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin? If we do get them, how will they play out? Will Rock Pikmin be able to break through someone's shield or reflector, as they can destroy the glass walls in 3? Will Winged Pikmin fly above the other Pikmin Olimar is using, and maybe introduce a new grab or throw for Olimar? It's truly hard to tell with so little for us to go off of right now. We'd have to watch a playthrough of Pikmin 3 to have any idea of what we could fully expect of them.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Now, as we've seen in today's update, Olimar is here, and he's brought along the Pikmin once again. But, this has me curious. Will they make the Pikmin feel more like the Pikmin from the actual Pikmin franchise (such as Yellows and Whites being faster and Purples being slower)? Will they give them their other traits (Red's Immunity to Fire, Yellow's immunity to Electric, Blue's immunity to Water, White's immunity to Poison and Purple's extrodinary damage output) if they haven't already? I can't remember how Olimar played, as I haven't played Brawl in awhile, but I don't remember all of the traits being in, if any at all.

Also, with Pikmin 3 out in Japan right now, whose to say we won't get Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin? If we do get them, how will they play out? Will Rock Pikmin be able to break through someone's shield or reflector, as they can destroy the glass walls in 3? Will Winged Pikmin fly above the other Pikmin Olimar is using, and maybe introduce a new grab or throw for Olimar? It's truly hard to tell with so little for us to go off of right now. We'd have to watch a playthrough of Pikmin 3 to have any idea of what we could fully expect of them.
The traits of the pikmin was an addition in brawl. In regards to the new pikmin, though, I would hope to see them, but I'm not sure if Olimar would have them or if they'd use Charlie (who is supposedly the leader of the captians in Pikmin 3).

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
The traits of the pikmin was an addition in brawl. In regards to the new pikmin, though, I would hope to see them, but I'm not sure if Olimar would have them or if they'd use Charlie (who is supposedly the leader of the captians in Pikmin 3).
They were? Shoot. Gotta hate my memory. Glad they added those traits then, as it makes sense.

Yeah, they look pretty awesome. I'm hoping that Olimar has them. If not, then they might add one of the new ones from Pikmin 3 (Probably the captain like you said, who I thought was Alph).

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
In Brawl, the Pikmin had all the attributes that you mentioned, I see no reason why they wouldn't keep those Pikmin-specific traits in Smash 4.

The only difference so far is that it would appear that Olimar can only carry around 3 Pikmin at a time, as opposed to the 6 that would follow him in Brawl. This makes me wonder if Olimar will be getting a new Up B, possibly involving the flying Pikmin?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
They were? Shoot. Gotta hate my memory. Glad they added those traits then, as it makes sense.

Yeah, they look pretty awesome. I'm hoping that Olimar has them. If not, then they might add one of the new ones from Pikmin 3 (Probably the captain like you said, who I thought was Alph).
I could be wrong about it being Charlie, but I'm pretty sure that he's the one that you start off with and whatnot.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Charlie is the captain but Alph seems to be the overall main main character of the game. I think you do start off with Charlie but it is very brief and then goes to Alph which is where the "real" adventure is suppose to begin. So yea even though Charlie is the captain Alph seems to be the "important" character of Pikmin 3.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Charlie is the captain but Alph seems to be the overall main main character of the game. I think you do start off with Charlie but it is very brief and then goes to Alph which is where the "real" adventure is suppose to begin. So yea even though Charlie is the captain Alph seems to be the "important" character of Pikmin 3.
Oh, well that's good to know. Thanks for clearing that one up.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Thanks. I've been trying to avoid newer information recently, so that helps without being all spoiler-y.

ShowdownBro721

Smash Rookie
I can see a definite use for the new types of Pikmin. Perhaps the Winged Pikmin can help Olimar "fly" with certain moves (i.e. U-Air attack with the Winged Pikmin could make Olimar hover for the duration of the attack; Up-B with a Winged Pikmin at the end could add a little vetical recovery), and Rock Pikmin, as Kazyx had mentioned, can greatly damage shields and reflectors (Fox's Reflector can only take so much damage before breaking).

Kage Me

Smash Ace
In Brawl, the Pikmin had all the attributes that you mentioned, I see no reason why they wouldn't keep those Pikmin-specific traits in Smash 4.

The only difference so far is that it would appear that Olimar can only carry around 3 Pikmin at a time, as opposed to the 6 that would follow him in Brawl. This makes me wonder if Olimar will be getting a new Up B, possibly involving the flying Pikmin?
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The most likely reason we've only seen three Pikmin per screenshot is because three is a nice, aesthetically pleasing number.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I hope the pikmin get a hidden ability like lucario did in brawl.
After dealing so much damage the pikmin should flower up to make the stronger.

Unless that was already in play in brawl and i just never noticed it.

And the only way for rock pikmin to smash through a reflector is with a smash attack.
I would think throwing rock pikmin would be like bonsly in brawl. Devastating but still could be reflected.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I can see a definite use for the new types of Pikmin. Perhaps the Winged Pikmin can help Olimar "fly" with certain moves (i.e. U-Air attack with the Winged Pikmin could make Olimar hover for the duration of the attack; Up-B with a Winged Pikmin at the end could add a little vetical recovery), and Rock Pikmin, as Kazyx had mentioned, can greatly damage shields and reflectors (Fox's Reflector can only take so much damage before breaking).
That would be sick. Honestly, I see the pikmin chain remaining the same, but I think that the flying pikmin is a really creative idea that could bring something new tho the table :D

Top Bottom