• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

About the Homing Missiles...

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is a "discovery", however the homing missiles fired off stage seem to be at the perfect spot and angle to Nair someone recovering above the ledge into the explosion. I was taking stocks at around 60-70 percent. Don't know if anyone has been utilizing this. Normally getting hit by a projectile will sort of reduce the knockback of the launch power of a move, but the homing missiles seem to be increasing it...

I would love to show video evidence however I don't really have a way to capture footage.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I *think* I know what you mean, I've assembled a big pile of my zero-to-death replays and you should see that in a short bit.
It's firing a homing missile so that it dips just below stage at its slowest and you have enough time to run up and fall off n-air for the true combo. Right?
This game has a funny sort of cumulative knockback calculation, I'm not entirely sure how it works, but the super-missile ->CS combos all kill very early if you true combo it. I've hit lightweights just slight offstage in the 40's with the super-missile combo to their deaths, and it sure looks like they DI to their best ability.
I've also seen strange knockback increases being hit by a loid + some other non-kill move.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
Yah pretty much. It seems to net me kills earlier than usual. Strange lol. Maybe there might be some sort of purpose for the missiles haha

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I've been mostly firing HM and following it off stage....90% of the people I face are scared to get hit by it and air dodge....which I follow with DAir just as the air dodge ends. I'll have to work some NAirs into it for some mix ups to really infuriate them haha

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hmm I've never tried this, I use them to bait shields mostly. And the random hm misfire actually stop people in their tracks. That and hm's are perfect for dealing with villagers gyroid. Somehow it destroys the dumb thing 99.32% of the time, whereas sm only works before it starts moving.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Homing Missile can snipe out the PKT of Ness's recovery. I have a replay uploaded where I sniped Ness's recovery and then I footstool him. HM also hits Lucas out of PKT2 (which obviously deserves to happen to his cheapness).

Use HM after a Back Throw on Fox or Falco for a quick Missile gimp. Can force Fox to recover low, so give him a D-ir or reverse Charge Shot. Also use HMs against ZSS. They are really good on her, and they will gimp her recovery as well. One HM will kill ZSS offstage.

If these things had less end lag and tracked better, they'd be pretty slick as an edge guard--like REALLY good. And it's already disrespectful as heck when you fire one point blank at someone trying to recover. Combine this with Bombs + aerials? Monster edge guards. And she can tether trump > reverse Charge Shot anyone who grabs the ledge, killing at even 40%. I did this yesterday to a Sheik (he was at very high %s, but I did that just for disrespect). Her tether trump > Charge Shot is too good to be ignored. I advise you guys try it out. Will post replays here (possibly right now if I can find a way to get passed the WiFi blocks at school).

Ness Homing Missile gimp and a seemingly true combo tether trump on Sheik.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Homing Missile can snipe out the PKT of Ness's recovery. I have a replay uploaded where I sniped Ness's recovery and then I footstool him. HM also hits Lucas out of PKT2 (which obviously deserves to happen to his cheapness).

Use HM after a Back Throw on Fox or Falco for a quick Missile gimp. Can force Fox to recover low, so give him a D-ir or reverse Charge Shot. Also use HMs against ZSS. They are really good on her, and they will gimp her recovery as well. One HM will kill ZSS offstage.

If these things had less end lag and tracked better, they'd be pretty slick as an edge guard--like REALLY good. And it's already disrespectful as heck when you fire one point blank at someone trying to recover. Combine this with Bombs + aerials? Monster edge guards. And she can tether trump > reverse Charge Shot anyone who grabs the ledge, killing at even 40%. I did this yesterday to a Sheik (he was at very high %s, but I did that just for disrespect). Her tether trump > Charge Shot is too good to be ignored. I advise you guys try it out. Will post replays here (possibly right now if I can find a way to get passed the WiFi blocks at school).

Ness Homing Missile gimp and a seemingly true combo tether trump on Sheik.
I face 2 good Good ness players at my monthly, and my buddy is picking him up, HM to snipe out the PKT is gonna be so delicious

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I face 2 good Good ness players at my monthly, and my buddy is picking him up, HM to snipe out the PKT is gonna be so delicious
Hits Lucas out of PKT2. Might hit Ness out of PKT2. They usually panic and end up screwing up the recovery, too.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Hits Lucas out of PKT2. Might hit Ness out of PKT2. They usually panic and end up screwing up the recovery, too.
Sorry I meant the HM hitting his thunder ball gimping him. But I'll have my brother help me test out if it stops PKT2....only fair since PK Fire negates CS

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I meant the HM hitting his thunder ball gimping him. But I'll have my brother help me test out if it stops PKT2....only fair since PK Fire negates CS
And since batting a Charge Shot can kill Samus at 25%. Heals like 35%... Double speed reflecting, so you have no time to shield.

Top Bottom