• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ability Draft

Would you like to see an ability draft gamemode in the new Smash Bros. installments?

• Yes, include an ability draft mode with Miis!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Yes, but use normal characters, not Miis!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No, this sounds like a terrible idea!

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I don't really care about it....

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

MrOzzyboy

Smash Rookie
Back when move customisation for all characters hasn't been confirmed yet, a lot of people suggested the idea of implementing them through Miis. However, I think I have come up with an even better solution for the implementation of Miis: an all new Ability Draft mode!

...okay, that maybe didn't sound as amazing as I thought it would, but let me explain. What if you could play as your Miis, but only in a specific mode called ability draft (or however it would actually be called). For those who haven't guessed already, I got the idea from Dota 2, and I imagine it working very similar.
Before the match everyone would pick a Mii (simply for visuals, there wouldn't be any differences in gameplay for Miis of different colour/size/ect). Then the players would take turns to select moves out of a randomly selected pool of moves from the actual characters. Some basic combo moves should maybe be predefined and not be picked, but apart from that you would be able to pick any recovery, final smash or other ability.

This of course sounds very unbalanced, which might be because it is. Anyone who played ability draft in Dota knows that this mode is just for fun and not supposed to be taken seriously. If anything like this should ever be put into Smash then it would obviously not be ranked, and possibly even be limited to playing with friends (not saying that it should be).

Also, before anyone is going to say "this belongs in the Mii discussion thread", keep in mind that this is a suggestion for a new gamemode, and not for a moveset for Mii. It also doesn't necessarily have to be using Miis, I just came up with the idea when thinking about them. It would probably be a good idea to use them though, since the developers would only need to create animations for the Mii instead of giving all characters animations for all moves, which would certainly require a lot of work.

So what could be reasons to (not) introduce this mode? Here are a few that come to my mind. If you have any other reasons, post them.

Pros:
- a potentially fun, casual mode
- more variety
- might help to decrease the gap between differently skilled people
- a way to introduce Miis into the game without putting them into the roster, which many people (including me) would not want [only if this mode would use Miis]

Cons:
- unbalanced, which might lead to frustration
- only playing as Miis might be boring to some [only if this mode would use Miis]

The chances of this happening are rather low, but I think it would be a really cool addition to the game. What do you think of this idea? Leave a comment and/or vote in the poll!

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Interesting idea! Since the Wii U version has a good six months to develop after its little brother's release, it definitely ought to have a bunch of exclusive gamemodes, and I could very well see something like this in it.

D

Deleted member

As soon as I saw the title I knew what it was going to be about.
It might be fun, but part of the fun of AD in Dota is that you get spells on different heroes, that have different stats, while miis just might have the same stats all around. I think it would be much more fun to use actual characters with altered movesets. Think about the crazyness of Shadow Sneak Ganondorf, or the hilarity of Power of Flight Ike.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Fun idea! I'd love to see something like this in the Wii U version as a side-mode.

Top Bottom