• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A word on lack of finishers

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
First off, I'm never played on any extreme level but I've played quite a bit against friends and when I'm not im bashing 3 lvl 9 cpu players. I keep seeing how everyone whines sonic has no finisher really and I disagree. If you learn to time his bair it can effectively kill at 130%+ and the most typical finish it to simply uair off the screen. Of course its dodgeable but still, it works great most of the time for me. Just thought I'd share, appreciate to hear your opinions.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Sonic doesn't have many kill moves but like everyone can kill at high percentages.I've noticed his side and down smashes work if you can get them close enough to you.While the back air is a good move it'll get too predictable which is why you need to try and ko diferent ways.Like me for example,sometimes I may kick them off the screen or go with the back air.I try and keep my options open.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Bair is an edge guarding move for me... I've been shield grabbed using it too many times on the ground. I guess it can also be used as a combo finisher but it's still tricky to use in that situation.

I will say though that it works wonders against people that air dodge through you because they think you're going to fair them.

Moneyman232

Smash Rookie
This is how i see it...sonic has no low dmg ko-moves
so at this point unless we figure out some miraculous move that'll KO at low percentages then we've got to rely on speed and unpredictability in order to rack up some decent damage in which the options open up for KO's....either that or just play a more technical game and focus of gimping your opponent.

good thing sonic players are constantly discovering new uses for his moves eh?

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
sonic's lack of kill moves is problematic but not insuperable. uair and bair can do the job but at relatively high percentages (unless you get a good edge guard with the bair or an uair offscreen). at least so far, the only reliable low-medium percentage killer is the fsmash.

how do you get it? sonic's speed of course makes it relatively easy to get a grab. as long as you're careful about mixing in foxtrots and shield-canceled dashes, you should be able to get plenty of grabs. once they're at a high percentage, just feign a grab but go for the fsmash instead.

Majiin

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure Sonic is mid tier =[ If not bottom, for 1v1s. He's good for racking up damage but lacks the finisher. Great for 2v2s imo, you do the damage and let your teammate do the finisher. I really tryed to main sonic.. I wanted to, but he's just really poor against any player with half a brain.

You need to do loads better than the person you're fighting to actually be successful. Playing against someone equally skilled is just frustrating. Seeing someone as light as pikachu at 150% get down smashed and still be able to stay in the game is just really frustrating. I understand intercepting and edgeguarding is pretty decent with sonic but it gets too predictable and all his killing moves are too situational.

I think nintendo did this intentionally to make sure sega knew nintendo still runs the show and it ticks me off =[! I really really tryed to get good with sonic but everything needs to fall into place perfectly for you to get a kill, I'm sticking with lucas :[

Sorry for the wall of text xD, is there anyone that can make a video, or at least a post of a way that sonic can kill people, I'm still a huge fan of him and want to get better playing as him. Not the bumper at the edge or Uair chasing (anyone with a brain will just dodge and Air attack you)

Fat Otaku

Smash Apprentice
I just dont know... when I see how fast Sonic is I just see an unlimited amount of potential. Then again. Chipp Zanuff was the fastest character as well, and he is Mid Tier right now. I still think Sonic is going to be top tier. But back to the topic. Yes. Sonic does not need alot of finishers. His aerials are more then enough to get the job done.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
First off, I'm never played on any extreme level but I've played quite a bit against friends and when I'm not im bashing 3 lvl 9 cpu players. I keep seeing how everyone whines sonic has no finisher really and I disagree. If you learn to time his bair it can effectively kill at 130%+ and the most typical finish it to simply uair off the screen. Of course its dodgeable but still, it works great most of the time for me. Just thought I'd share, appreciate to hear your opinions.

Bair is my favorite knockout. Then D-Smash. But D-smash is ineffective most of the time.

Also. You should put that photobucket link in between these tags [ i m g ] [ / i m g ] but without the spaces.

sonic's speed of course makes it relatively easy to get a grab.
Online I always seem to run right past them going for a grab. :(

Station

Smash Cadet
When i'm trying to get a KO with Sonic i tend to Fox Trot into a forward Smash.
I've also got some pretty sweet kills from spring boarding into the air and using my uair. I've even got multiple kills with it at the same time in the past.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I think nintendo did this intentionally to make sure sega knew nintendo still runs the show and it ticks me off =[! I really really tryed to get good with sonic but everything needs to fall into place perfectly for you to get a kill, I'm sticking with lucas :[
Most fanboyish thing to say, yet I can't even disagree with it XD

Sorry for the wall of text xD, is there anyone that can make a video, or at least a post of a way that sonic can kill people, I'm still a huge fan of him and want to get better playing as him. Not the bumper at the edge or Uair chasing (anyone with a brain will just dodge and Air attack you)
Fake it.

fair combo works, timing your homing attack so it flies as your foe does his second jump also helps. But most of all, don't be predictable.

Majiin

Smash Rookie
Fake it.

fair combo works, timing your homing attack so it flies as your foe does his second jump also helps. But most of all, don't be predictable.
See again, not a disagree, you're right.. But (time the homing attack) So situational :\ Half the time I try to edge guard/intercept their recovery with my homing attack, it either completely misses, or they dodge it. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's not a for sure way to kill people. Facing anyone with moderate skill can make sonic look like a joke :[ It's destroying my adoration for sonic :urg:

Moneyman232

Smash Rookie
well if you feel like taking risks there's a method for increasing your chances of hitting with the homing attack...since sonic has great recovery go for a pretty risky maneuver: knock em off the stage and dash then jump after them...save a jump of course but get as close as possible and start the homing attack then jam it again to get the attack out quicker, since you're fairly close chances of hitting get higher after you hopefully gimp them just recover back to the level

try it out its pretty effective if you can gauge the risk and estimate if you'll be able to make it back to the level.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed his side and down smashes work if you can get them close enough to you.

Well yeah, that's what smashes are for. However, I only use these moves (espicially side smash) if my opponent is very vulnerable, such as DK or Samus charging their B standard or Snake shooting a rocket, etc. sinc ethey are so inconsistent and tricky to hit with.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I don't think you want A consistent way to kill people--it gets predictable. Yes, his kills being situational sucks, but for Sonic creating said situations is much easier than you think. Sonic faking out foes and lag punishing is one of his fortes, so use that to drive the situation to your favor.

But yeah, Sonic is not top tier, never delude yourself :/ **** you nintendo *shakes fist*

R4ZE

Smash Ace
the only sonic attack that really isnt situational. is his spin dash triple hit. and POSSIBLY his fair.

but still we have to recognize that sonic IS actually pretty **** good at getting up the damage.
i know that in a single spin dash triple attack ive done nearly 50%.. that is if i didnt exceed that. so realisticly.. if i hit with that 3 or 4 times, i should be able to kill sum1 with a bair, uair, d smash, fsmash. .a little more damage and my ftilt becomes killable.. even a neutral air or homing attack can do enuff knockback for chase kills around 150-200. But aside from all those advantages... sonic is hard as hell to land attacks on. that is, unless sonic thinks he is marth. haha

idk, what do u guys think?

Top Bottom