• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A way to Switch Between Spike Fair and Doc Fair

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
Well as most of you know Mario's Fair in Project M has been changed. Hitting the Fair at the beginning frames causes Mario to use Doc's Fair aka it hits the enemy away. And hitting the Fair near the later frames causes Mario to spike (or meteor smash I'm not 100% sure). Now using the Doc Fair is pretty easy, but the spike Fair is a whole different story. I know if you practice, space correctly and time it right getting the Fair getting the spike can probably be pretty easy, but I think there should be a way to easily use each one. Similar to how you can switch between Jump Cancel and Rising Aerial with Ness maybe holding the attack button causes him to spike and simply pressing it once causes him to use Doc Fair. To be honest I'm not a Project M Mario main, but I think this would still be very useful for Mario.

Questions:
1. What do you guys think about this?
2. Would this maybe be considered a bit overpowered?

Also maybe something this could be added for Mario's Up Smash as well.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
This isn't necessary. If you're having trouble with the tech, practice it til you get it right. That's practically Smash's mantra.

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
This isn't necessary. If you're having trouble with the tech, practice it til you get it right. That's practically Smash's mantra.
I understand practice makes perfect. But I just thought it would be kinda nice to be able to switch between both a bit more easier.

GeZ

Smash Lord
But the way to switch easier is just to practice. It's like using the sweet and sour spots on Marth's moves. Just something you have to figure out.

yellowdee

Smash Apprentice
Maybe A+B could do a Mario hit? I agree with the idea of making various maneuvers more accessible to players, even if very good ones take advantage of it. That's the reason I got into using Mario as an easy, versatile character, and I think that's also why a lot of good players have a "Pocket Mario" at the ready.
I feel like the only way to get a good chance at benefiting from the current Mario fair is if it's timed correctly offstage, and it feels like bairs would be a better option at that point. It's very difficult to sour spot a fair off a combo, and having to sourspot doesn't let the player naturally try to fast-fall while the move is executed (off a combo) for a potential followup.
A+B would add a new spin to Mario's current options, so more interesting game play can emerge from Mario's throws.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
his fair is fine as it is just practice your timings and stop asking for everything to come easy

yellowdee

Smash Apprentice
okay :(

In that case, do you have any tips on how to connect a Mario fair from an up/down throw at mid percents, aside from practicing? Because I've tried to practice that, but have never been able to pull it off.

Last edited:

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
there is no point in trying to mario fair from a dthrow or uthrow all you would be doing is giving your opponent a chance to tech and doing it off stage is dumb unless its a small level because its not a spike they can jump cancel it easily

Freddoe

Smash Rookie
It's cool that you brought it up, but I agree with the majority. You definitely have to just get used to spacing. Mario's Fair is one of my favorites in the game, and I spend a lot of time getting the timing just right. To be honest, punishing with either is still bad ass.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
Meteors are better for on stage combo'ing so you can't count them out completely.
Your right, I should have specified that spikes are more useful for taking stocks off the edge. Meteors typically have less ending lag and/or are easier to land and they typically have more knock back thus giving them more stun if they are used to pop up a grounded opponent.

sorry to nag on this, I just find it irk-some when people interchange the two.

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
As it stands now, there isn't much of a reason to go for the meteor in this game. Why go for it when you have a quicker option that you can confirm into way easier. I find the current fair to be pretty sloppy in it's implementation, and not very thought provoking. I feel like if you want a balanced combination of the mario and the doc fair, you need to make them both active during entirety of the move. That way there would actually be a reason to go for the meteor as well, as it would all be about spacing, instead of timing and spacing.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
I sometimes get the meteor when I want the Doc fair, it leads into a nice up angled forward smash or another shot at the Doc fair if you're quick enough

Top Bottom