• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A true RPG for Wii U? Is there one?

Shog

Smash Ace
I hope someone can help me, I want to play a RPG aka Final-Fantasy Style, turn based/action based whatevs fighting system. Any recommendations?

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Oddly enough, the Wii U does not have any non-eShop RPGs that are akin to your interest. However, Xendoblade Chronicles X is coming out this Holiday season so that should be of some interest.

finalark

SNORLAX
I hope someone can help me, I want to play a RPG aka Final-Fantasy Style, turn based/action based whatevs fighting system. Any recommendations?
There's Xenoblade X, but if that's anything like the first Xenobalde it's basically going to be a glorified offline MMO /unpopularopinions

Unfortunately, the kind of game you're looking for is basically dead outside of handhelds.

Shog

Smash Ace
Xenoblade X is on the "wishlist" so to speak, but how is it possible that there is literally no "RPG"like game :( I don't care if 3rd party or not, it just has to be a fun game ya know.

finalark

SNORLAX
Xenoblade X is on the "wishlist" so to speak, but how is it possible that there is literally no "RPG"like game :( I don't care if 3rd party or not, it just has to be a fun game ya know.
The Wii U's prevailing problem is that a vast majority of the library is nothing but platformers. The N64 and GCN also had a similar RPG drought.

You could go digital and check out Earthbound or Golden Sun if you haven't already.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Well, there's Genei Ibun Roku #FE coming out next year but that's less Final Fantasy-style and more like the Persona games. There's also one indie RPG that I'm really interested that's supposedly coming to the Wii U eventually. It's called Cross Code.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Go on wii mode.

Go to Wii Shop.

Download games from the old systems from a much larger selection than the Wii U shop has.

Or on the Wii U eshop

Breath of Fire I-II on SNES
Romance of the Three Kingdoms on SNES (strategy rpg)
Earthbound/Earthbound Origins on SNES/NES
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga on GBA
The Mega Man Battle Network series has a lot of RPG elements, also on the GBA.
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)

You can backplay Wii games as well which have some good picks, like some Tales games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, there's Genei Ibun Roku #FE coming out next year but that's less Final Fantasy-style and more like the Persona games.
Well, it's turn based so that might be what he means when he says "Final Fantasy style."

Although right now the game has very limited appeal.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Well, it's turn based so that might be what he means when he says "Final Fantasy style."

Although right now the game has very limited appeal.
Really? I mean Genei Ibun Roku #FE is basically the Wii U's answer to Persona 5 in a way. Granted it's no where near as in-depth as P5 but the Fire Emblem characters are basically personas in this (they even have very SMT-esque designs), plus the game looks like a more colorful version of Shin Megami Tensei 4 in terms of everything outside of battle.
I think it has quite a lot going for it, just a lot of people are giving it crap because it's not the FExSMT they were expecting.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it has quite a lot going for it, just a lot of people are giving it crap because it's not the FExSMT they were expecting.
I disagree, the game is getting crap because it's pretty blatantly Otaku pandering and because the teaser implied something a bit more in line with main series SMT rather than it's much more popular spin off Persona. And because ultimately, aside from P1 and 2, Persona =/= SMT.

The game's tone is so far removed from SMT and FE that it's not even SMT and FE fans that are hyped for the game. It's the Otaku crowd. The fact that the more recent trailers prominently feature bubbly J-Pop music, fan service, school life and idols wearing cutesy outfits doesn't help.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Child of Light is fairly cheap and takes a lot from classic RPGs, while blending it with Metroid-esque world exploration and doing some unique things with it's battle system.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Earthbound Origins on SNES
Unless you really like EarthBound, really like NES-era RPGs, or really like random encounter battles, I'd skip Earthbound Origins (it's still Earthbound 0 in my heart, dammit!). As a huge MOTHER fan, I've played it through about three times (the Phil Sand translation once, the Mato translation twice), but it's very difficult to get into because it has a lot of early installment weirdness. Crazy high encounter rate. Dialogue is kind of lame. No real clue where you're supposed to go next - there's a lot more freedom in when you do things than in EarthBound or M3, which is good if you like exploring and bad if you like knowing ahead of time where to go. It's not bad, but it's definitely dated. But maybe try it anyway :ness: there are people who think this is the best game in the series

Also reading this thread and realizing the Wii U RPG drought makes me sad :sadsheep:

Top Bottom