• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Technique for (possibly) better use of Forward B

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I posted this in the tactical forum but it's not getting much notice yet and it's most applicable to Dedede from what I've tested. I'll try to explain it as best I can.

The technique itself is easy enough to pull off. What you want to do is on any jump after your first, simply press jump and forward B at the same time. The timing is the same as Lucas's "Zap Jump" if you happen to know anything about that and it's essentially operating under the same physics. If you do it correctly, you should jump and begin forward B at the same time making Dedede sort of float up as he's doing the move. If you do it correctly, you can jump off the edge and edgeguard using forward B three times at an opponent and still safely make it back to the stage. Also, while hanging on the ledge, if you jump and do this you should be able to use forward B twice before touching the ground.

If you're not able to do either of those things you're doing it wrong. Doing this rising special does not actually give you more height than your jumps would normally give you, it just allows you to start the B move at the earliest moment possible which makes all the difference in this case. It IS different from consecutively pressing jump and forward B. You get more air time which allows you to throw more. If you don't believe me and think "LOL this is just jumping and using a special noob" then try it with Lucas's forward B and watch him soar into the air, or try it with Yoshi and watch him gain momentum downward rather than upward.

I don't personally play Dedede very often so it'll be up to you guys to decide just how useful this is but it seems like it could be put to some use even if it is kind of a small detail. Maybe some projectile spamming with Dedede.

Florida

イーグランツ
I use Dedede's side special to stall my opponent as I recover to the stage. I guess this can be useful for gaining extra height, while at the same time attacking your opponent and giving you some space. This could actually be very useful if a gordo decided to pop out. But gordos are useful in any situation, really.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Can you use ANY of his aerials or an air dodge out of it when in the air...? If so it could be VERY interesting...throw a projectile and dodge one or throw one and do an aerial attack to protect yourself. Please confirm.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Off the edge it's possible to use forward B three times, jump, Uair and use Up B to make it back to the ledge of the stage. But by that point you're so low I doubt you could hit anything. You can also do two forward Bs and two Fairs at what I would think would be a much more useful height than you normally could and still make it back to the ledge.

The reason that it works the way that it does is because rather than falling while you're using forward B it allows you to rise. However, it doesn't give your jumps any more height than they normally would have so the difference isn't dramatic. It's just enough that it might allow some more attacks to come out than usual.

I don't have any equipment to but a video of it on the internet but if you give me your Brawl and Wii codes I can make a replay of it and send it to anyone who wants it. Keep in mind that I don't main Dedede and in fact rarely play him. I just thought this may be of use.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
not quite. Fox's fair by nature makes Fox move up while doing it. Dedede's forward B by nature makes you fall while doing it. By jumping and using forward B at the same time you do the two actions instantaneously making him rise while starting to throw rather than falling. You'll notice the same sort of thing if you press jump and forward B really fast consecutively. Pressing them both together is just the fastest and makes just the right amount of difference to be more useful.

I've started using Dedede a bit more to try things out and I find myself using this most often when recovering to avoid edgeguarding. It makes it so you keep your altitude while spamming the projectile.

Top Bottom