• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Stage Builder that doesn't suck

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
I didn't really see any thread dealing with this topic (though to be fair, I barely looked at all lol).

So, there was probably a lot of hype going into Brawl's stage builder. I mean, we all love customization and building **** and whatnot, and what better canvas for the random creative-minded people to have fun with their imagination than a deep and interesting stage creation mode?

Choose your backdrop, build your stage, and even pick out your favorite tunes. Sounds pretty cool, no?

Problem: Stage builder sucked. The "deep" and "interesting" experience I describe does not really exist: you have three choices for generic looking backgrounds/stage types, a few choice of stage building blocks ranging from the generic square to the horrendously awkward-to-manuever picasso-esque architecture, and...well, at least the music was done right.

Some things I could see being done better in the stage builder:

*More choices between backdrops/stage types. Ideally (imo), one for each nintendo franchise involved in the game and maybe some other extra ones that are aesthetically appealing.
*A ****ton more building blocks, both functionally and aesthecially. Multiple sizes for platforms would be nice and being able to vary appearances in blocks would be cool. Pretty sure people want their stage not only navigate well but also look really cool.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I agree that the stage builder is actually pretty meh. It'd also be cool if we could play custom stages on, but on restricted to friend roster.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Both the Wii U and the 3DS have touch screens... think about it and how they can benefit the Stage Builder a lot.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I thought it was strange that the stage builder offered things like ladders and springs and moving platforms when those sort of things only appeared on like 2 stages in brawl. The stage builder was great for making tournament legal stages. Yes the looks were lacking but what really needed fixing was that you couldn't adjust the boundaries outside of small, medium and large. Even if you moved blocks to the edge of the stage builder boundaries, when you actually played on the stage it would have empty space on the sides so you couldn't just walk off and be KO'd like on the Bridge of Eldin. Upside down slopes would be nice also.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I thought it was strange that the stage builder offered things like ladders and springs and moving platforms when those sort of things only appeared on like 2 stages in brawl. The stage builder was great for making tournament legal stages. Yes the looks were lacking but what really needed fixing was that you couldn't adjust the boundaries outside of small, medium and large. Even if you moved blocks to the edge of the stage builder boundaries, when you actually played on the stage it would have empty space on the sides so you couldn't just walk off and be KO'd like on the Bridge of Eldin. Upside down slopes would be nice also.
Wait, what? Good for making tournament legal stages...never seen custom stages used for tournaments. ._.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Well they should start, I mean what's more balanced than a giant floating block?

The stage builder didn't suck, it was just ugly.
Seriously though, adjustable boundaries and prettier more nintendo themed aspects.

finalark

SNORLAX
The issue that every game with a build "build your own whatever" feature has is that these custom content options tend to be either really limited or really complex. I think Brawl's had the "too limited" issue. You couldn't build a stage the size of, say, Temple plus the pieces you had to work with were very limited.

Limited.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I agree. I think the perfect builder should have few pieces to start with, so it would be easyer to learn to how use it, but A LOT of unlockable ones, avaiable by the time you mastered it.

Top Bottom