• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Simple & Safe Way To Deal With Ness's UpB

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Thought I'd post this here too for discussion.

Updated vid:

Not sure why I've never seen anyone try to do this but it serves as an easy and safe way to stop Ness's extremely strong UpB. Most people say "well you play a mario. just cape it", but anyone who has ever actually tried doing it knows that the risk greatly outweighs the reward alot of the time. Most of the time you're dead if you try it. Other people say "why not just use a pill/fireball?" OK. Then what? Usually afterwards you're back in the same situation. This method is completey safe due to the dodge, and even if Ness tries to delay the pk thunder ball at all, you NOW have your 2nd jump and an entire arsenal of aerials (not to mention a cape) to even further guarantee your success. Its not like he can go anywhere since it leaves him suspended. The only thing it takes is timing. Try it. Dont try it. I think it's worth discussing. Everything else I've tried fails in comparison.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I've used a similar tactic before, but I found it to be a little risky. The air-dodge is certainly interesting, I'll have to test it out for sure and report back here. I'm thinking if you don't time it correctly, you might still be vulnerable. Of course, a lot depends on where Ness actually is when he starts his up B (in your video he's probably in the most ideal spot, but closer or further could pose an issue).

Any time I'm up a stock on a Ness, I try to jump down and take the initial hit on the PK Thunder ball, when it first comes out of his head. I also like to snipe the ball with a Megavitamin if he's fairly low (not the easiest thing to do, but it has the same affect and is a bit more safe). As you mentioned, trying to jump down and cape is a huge no-no (it's so damn tempting, though, isn't it?).

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
I've used a similar tactic before, but I found it to be a little risky. The air-dodge is certainly interesting, I'll have to test it out for sure and report back here. I'm thinking if you don't time it correctly, you might still be vulnerable. Of course, a lot depends on where Ness actually is when he starts his up B (in your video he's probably in the most ideal spot, but closer or further could pose an issue).

Any time I'm up a stock on a Ness, I try to jump down and take the initial hit on the PK Thunder ball, when it first comes out of his head. I also like to snipe the ball with a Megavitamin if he's fairly low (not the easiest thing to do, but it has the same affect and is a bit more safe). As you mentioned, trying to jump down and cape is a huge no-no (it's so damn tempting, though, isn't it?).
it'll definitely take some practice to get the timing down, but i think it could be worth it. the dodge makes u pretty much invincible. either u dodge ness and hit the pk thunder ball, or you dodge ness/the ball if he delays and you punish him with an aerial/special, or you dodge ness/the ball, you both recover safely, and you start all over again. it'll atleast make a ness think twice. and if they do upb above the stage to avoid it, it'll definitely leave them open for punishment

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
it'll definitely take some practice to get the timing down, but i think it could be worth it. the dodge makes u pretty much invincible. either u dodge ness and hit the pk thunder ball, or you dodge ness/the ball if he delays and you punish him with an aerial/special, or you dodge ness/the ball, you both recover safely, and you start all over again. it'll atleast make a ness think twice. and if they do upb above the stage to avoid it, it'll definitely leave them open for punishment
Good stuff! I'm going to try and do some testing with it today. If nothing else, it will certainly provide another option against Mr. Killthrow.

Update: Did some testing. Definitely works (we knew it would), but there are a ton of variables. If Ness is in the right spot and you time it, it's a fantastic option. But as you mentioned, timing is everything. If Ness is too low, it won't work since Doc's recovery is poor. Too far, same thing. Ness kind of has to be in a sweet spot, so to speak. I had two opportunities to test it in For Glory today and missed both times. The first time the game was laggy and my timing was terrible, but Ness was in a good position. The 2nd time I simply mistimed it, but I didn't SD or get hit, so I was never in danger. It's a nice tool to have just in case the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
Good stuff! I'm going to try and do some testing with it today. If nothing else, it will certainly provide another option against Mr. Killthrow.

Update: Did some testing. Definitely works (we knew it would), but there are a ton of variables. If Ness is in the right spot and you time it, it's a fantastic option. But as you mentioned, timing is everything. If Ness is too low, it won't work since Doc's recovery is poor. Too far, same thing. Ness kind of has to be in a sweet spot, so to speak. I had two opportunities to test it in For Glory today and missed both times. The first time the game was laggy and my timing was terrible, but Ness was in a good position. The 2nd time I simply mistimed it, but I didn't SD or get hit, so I was never in danger. It's a nice tool to have just in case the opportunity presents itself.
If Ness goes low, you always have your jump + docnado (JumpNado? lol) to recover. Not to mention a walljump if that option's available. Gotta use all your resources. But definitely the best part is that its SAFE

Update: Tutorial

Last edited:
Top Bottom