• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"A Rookie No Longer." A Mario SSBM Combo video ft. A Rookie

TheArabSamurai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheArabSamurai
3DS FC
5172-1967-5562
Hey guys! Been working on this combo video for quite some time, figured I should probably post this here! Hope you guys enjoy.

Last edited:

EntropyAA

Smash Rookie
NNID
Metaroo
3DS FC
3411-1156-6504
Awesome combo video! A Rookie, you are my plumber role model.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Nice editing! Also, your Mario is pretty amazing, Rookie.

Watch out though.. there's a new Mario in town.

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
I have been watching A rookie. He has some combos, AT and I really give him credit for sticking up his guns. At least he is trying so props for that.

But as a player he still needs to improve on his decision making, edge guarding etc. I have seen him lose matches because of the bad decisions. Mario has way more potential than people think and does relatively well against the top tier characters.

Here is another Mario player from DR, he doesnt get too much exposure but he has come to PR a few time and has impressed most of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCsWlqYc32A

Keep it up mario players

a rookie

Smash Ace
I have been watching A rookie. He has some combos, AT and I really give him credit for sticking up his guns. At least he is trying so props for that.

But as a player he still needs to improve on his decision making, edge guarding etc. I have seen him lose matches because of the bad decisions. Mario has way more potential than people think and does relatively well against the top tier characters.

Here is another Mario player from DR, he doesnt get too much exposure but he has come to PR a few time and has impressed most of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCsWlqYc32A

Keep it up mario players
DR RAy, yes I've known about him since like '07. I keep up w/ Street Fighter 4 as well and saw him play vs Daigo at Evo 2012 I think? But yes, I've watched all videos I can of him. My Mario isn't that great vs Fox/Falco's recovery YET. It always turns into Rock, Paper, Scissors w/ their recoveries. In essence, if they really wanted, they could recover high all the time and there'd be nothing we could really do about it. My edge guarding definitely needs work, along w/ everything else. DR Ray is probably way better than me and I'd probably get wrecked by him. But who cares if he never comes to the states to show his potential?

Fox Hater

Smash Journeyman
You know i dont think he is better than you, the fact that you play on such a strong coast gives you a lot of experience. Like I said if you fixed some of the decisions you make you could be placing way higher... because your tech some times is pretty impressive. Less swag and more efficient would be the right way to put it. I really don't know what your training strategy is. But if you watch your own videos on youtube, you will ask yourself why did I do this instead of grabbing the edge or you commit to much on a fancy punish or offensive.
Like I said you sometimes lose a match because of your bad decisions, but in fact the match is pretty even. So just keep improving, I wish I lived in California and could get the opportunity to play with the high caliber of players there are in the coast.

One feedback or suggestion I would give is, i see many times when you up throw a spacie in low percentage in a platform y try to read the tech with a fair and miss many times. you could just tech chase and grab again, if they DI outside the stage then punish. If they DI to the top platform just continue the pressure of tech chase grab... or mix it up dair is pretty good break cr cancel and you can re grab or up tilt.

But Keep it up you are inspiration to many of us who would like to have a solid Mario ;). My bad if my comment sound like you are not good, not my intention

Voy a ti :)

Last edited:

a rookie

Smash Ace
You know i dont think he is better than you, the fact that you play on such a strong coast gives you a lot of experience. Like I said if you fixed some of the decisions you make you could be placing way higher... because your tech some times is pretty impressive. Less swag and more efficient would be the right way to put it. I really don't know what your training strategy is. But if you watch your own videos on youtube, you will ask yourself why did I do this instead of grabbing the edge or you commit to much on a fancy punish or offensive.
Like I said you sometimes lose a match because of your bad decisions, but in fact the match is pretty even. So just keep improving, I wish I lived in California and could get the opportunity to play with the high caliber of players there are in the coast.

One feedback or suggestion I would give is, i see many times when you up throw a spacie in low percentage in a platform y try to read the tech with a fair and miss many times. you could just tech chase and grab again, if they DI outside the stage then punish. If they DI to the top platform just continue the pressure of tech chase grab... or mix it up dair is pretty good break cr cancel and you can re grab or up tilt.

But Keep it up you are inspiration to many of us who would like to have a solid Mario ;). My bad if my comment sound like you are not good, not my intention

Voy a ti :)
It's all good man, I appreciate the feedback. Yes, I've seen almost all my videos and wonder why I don't hold the edge sometimes and instead make a read w/ a cape. But at the last tournament, I think I patched that bad habit. I wasn't tricked this time at all w/ Fox angles. Lol. And you're right, I should tech chase more on platforms. But at least I almost always get a hit if the fair doesn't connect, I have an option select w/ ftilt/dsmash. Mostly the reason for that is when I up throw them on the platform, they're at VERY low percent where it's almost impossible to tech chase before they tech/tech roll. Yup, I'm a bit disappointed at how I've been playing, but I will watch all my recent matches.

Top Bottom