• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A reflection of Smash's evolution as a game

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Oddly enough, I did not find out about Smash until Melee came out, which absolutely blew its N64 counterpart out of the water, but since then it has blown up, for better......or for worse.

While originally intended as a "party" game, like any other popular fighting game, it is bound to become competitive. However, is there the possibility that Smash has reached the point of becoming too competitive? No joke, I have heard about friendships breaking over Smash, and not in the most pleasant way. It seems to me that Smash is beginning to drift away from its original purpose, or how it was intended.

Maybe Nintendo has pushed the competitive side a little too much with their hosted tournaments at Comic Con and such, maybe, if there is another Smash installment, Nintendo needs to tone it down a little bit, by all means promote the release of the game, but maybe focus on the less heated aspects of the game. Try to focus on the more casual side of things, because Smash is beginning to get to the point where some parts are becoming untouchable.

Thoughts?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
IMO The smash series, all of them, are unique fighting games (i know it's offensive to some to call it that... but oh well.) because of the different ways it can be played. The competitive scene turns off items to remove randomness, eliminates stages that are deemed unbalanced, and set's a time limit to minimize certian tactics... and to make tournaments run.

Then at any given moment plenty of people are at someone's house abandoning there combo to dart after a poke ball that ends up being a goldeen, then doing a shield grab _> back throw on a walk off stage to get a low % KO...

That IMO is the beauty of of Smash... is that it can be both of those things. The competitive scene can play it 1 on 1 like street fighter like while parties can play it much more chaotically.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Humans are competitive beings. Humans want to always be better than the others. It's pretty unrealistic to think the Smash community is ever gonna stop trying to make the games competitive.
I'm fairly sure we always had the option to turn off items, and they're probably never gonna take that option away from us because it adds variety to the game. Even when I was a casual, I still turned off items every now and then. They can't take it away out of spite. And they can make the stages as quirky as they'd like, but we found legal stages even for 64 (even if just one), so there's not much they can do to try to "stop" competitive, I think.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Evolution of Smash:

Master Hand: First Boss
Crazy Hand: Second Boss
Duon, Galleom, and Tabuu: Third game's original bosses
Master Core: Fourth Game's Boss

-----

Being that is Tabuu's form being powered by Master Core to link with the two Hands, Duon and Gaelleom as legs and a new boss for the head?

But who could the head be? (Andross smashes me with science?)

Anyway, there's a hypothetical kind of evolution. Entirely tangential to the point of the thread though. I think there was a Game theory on it being a metaphor. Check that on youtube if you're interested.

Top Bottom