• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Quick Samus Tutorial - Advanced Techniques, Quick Tips, and Neat Tricks

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I'm sure Samus has enough finishers, but I figured I'd throw this out for the sake of it. for those who can get a charge shot ready, you can follow it up right after a Dthrow with most characters, or UThrow for fast fallers

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Ive tried that. Half the time it wont work. It was pretty beast in melee though. I think some characters you can hit by jumping, but the reaction time of most characters is too fast

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
ive discovered a thing. info on how to do it is in the description

Last edited:

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
ive discovered a thing. info on how to do it is in the description
You can actually do this with a fully charged shot, at least being able to turn around and fool with opponents. I've done this to a handful of people during friendlies at the monthly on Saturday in Chicago. They can't fathom how ridiculous this is but it really catches them off guard.

Yung Mei

You can actually do this with a fully charged shot, at least being able to turn around and fool with opponents. I've done this to a handful of people during friendlies at the monthly on Saturday in Chicago. They can't fathom how ridiculous this is but it really catches them off guard.
single turn around yes - as in you turn the character around as well.. Thats just a regular b reverse. However, the backwards charge shot in the vid, the fully charge wont work for some reason, only uncharged lets you shoot backwards.

Chevy

Smash Ace
single turn around yes - as in you turn the character around as well.. Thats just a regular b reverse. However, the backwards charge shot in the vid, the fully charge wont work for some reason, only uncharged lets you shoot backwards.
Samus's B-reverse on charge shot is weird in that you'll get a slightly different result based on when you actually do the B-reversal. I believe it always happens while charging because the window for B-reverse is entirely after the shot is fired. But I think that if you B-reverse very late on a fully charged shot, you can still get a similar effect by Reverse Special->wait two or three frames->B Reversal. I think this results in Samus turning after the shot is fired.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
I've actually gotten it on Dolphin, the backwards fully charged shot. Need to try in on my CRT to see if I can get the same results.

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
Those two techniques work in 3.02?

I feel like it's some kind of glitch they didn't mean to put in when they made the extra frame and the entire super wave dash available for Project M. It's still good anyways.

Thanks Xeno for your video/thread too!

Yung Mei

yah, works in 3.02, and ive been successfully implenting the fully charged one into my play. definitely recommend learning it

210stuna

Smash Lord
yah, works in 3.02, and ive been successfully implenting the fully charged one into my play. definitely recommend learning it
I can't get the fully charged shot to work like while it's charging, but I agree. I've never seen anyone on video use it, so imagine how many people will be caught off guard in person.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
The timing for the fully charged backwards shot is:

| B | -->| |...wait...| |<--|

Now of course there's no way to write it out with out using music/rhythmic notation. So just think of the last turn around as a little later and mess with the timing.

Litt

Samus
Lol I wish we could have a full samus round robbin with everyone on here

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
That would be a ton of fun. I love Samus dittos.

@ pizzacato pizzacato Thats basically it. I've found no use for it other than being flashy against friends.

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
does anyone use the crawl/roll/ morph ball in competitive play? i dont know that it would be extremely useful as a serious techinique, but its fun and i think it would be a decent mind games tool. need to gather more data tho.

"quick" options for morphball/"techniques"( i suppose these might be super well known, but oh well):
-super wave dash/ bomb dash. i dont have video, but i swear i accidentally did the bomb dash while i was in the morphball state
-down tilt. while rolling in the opposite direction that you started rolling in, press a ( i think. or maybe you need to stop in a neutral position? i need to collect data again)
-down smash. while rolling in any direction or while in a neutral ball position, use the smash stick. any direction is fine i believe since you have to hold down in order to be the morphball
-morphball bomb. its the down b attack. pretty straightfoward. you can you it while stationary or rolling, and it causes a nice little hop, which you can study and use to your advantage if you want. hopping over projectiles and the like.
-morphball boost attack. while rolling in the direction you were facing when you started rolling, press a. if you mess up youll do the down tilt.
-ledgetrolling. a mind gamey move type thing. not the real name, and some one will probably make a better name if it becomes/already is a real technique. basically, you roll towards the edge, and keep rolling. you dont fall. maybe itll confuse the oponent, maybe it wont. not sure if its useful but its something i noticed. i also have to go back and check to see if it works on all ledges. im not sure

dunno how useful any of this is, but its kinda fund to play around with.
notes about morphrolling: its a little slow, but the pivot is pretty fast, and if anyone could replicate the bomb dash in morphball form, id like to see it. i suppose you might be a little vulnerable as morphball, but you roll right under some projectiles and you can hop over others, and i dont remember there being too much lag when going back to a normal position. samus' downsmash is decent, and when youre approaching as morphball and the downsmash hits, its very satisfying. i suspect that it could be punished tho, so be diligent.

if anyone more dexterous/ skilled than i could experiment a bit more with this and post some footage, or maybe link to some footage of people who already have experimented with it ( or even some competitive application? ) it would be hugely appreciated by me. or you know, just send it to me in a private message, if that would be more appropriate

i think this would be great for a camp-ey, troll-ey samus. i might just be a filthy casual tho so what do my thoughts matter.

other strategies i personally use
rack up damage, then use a fully charged (preferably stored) beam. it kills ( at high percent, anyways). samus can live for a while, and in that time you can get some damage in. samus has some good knock back too (for me anyways), so when the opponent is off stage and trying to recover, try to be in the middle of the stage and fire that sucker at the right time. even if it doesnt kill, the knockback should give you enough time to charge up and fire again

maybe someone could give me some (constructive ) criticism? tell me some faults in my strategies, or how to improve?

Chevy

Smash Ace
I would suggest you read through the previous posts in the Samus forum to get a better idea of the general consensus on her PM incarnation. This is essentially just a rambling of your first impressions of the character as far as I can tell. She has been developed quite a bit already, so none of this is really new. If you want to watch some play check out our video thread, there's a bunch of footage from most of the players that frequent the Samus forums.

http://smashboards.com/threads/morph-balls-a-3-0-samus-video-thread.343959/

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
this is a tips and tricks thread bro, i was listing some tips and tricks

Litt

Samus
this is a tips and tricks thread bro, i was listing some tips and tricks
He was saying all the crap you posted is pretty much common knowledge and has already been explored, look through all the threads before you waste others and your own time

Shoto

Smash Apprentice
Just ignore KLit.
Will do. I've recently started playing Samus and do you shield drop when shooting missiles?
@ DirtyPete DirtyPete - Today while playing with brother, I used plasma fair into morph ball boost, and it was pretty smooth. I have yet to recreate it however. I know it's possible, and there may be followups that I haven't explored. Try it out :smash:

Last edited:

Shoto

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Narpas. It just looks so quick when ESAM does it. I just don't have the timing down for it yet then. Gotta work :smash:

Narpas_sword

yea, im not sure what it is techinically, but there's something Barbie (i think) posted once about if you miss time there's a delay in which you're unable to drop through the platform.

its one of those facts you either know by data, or by feel.

If you practice for a half hour or so (on various platform heights) you should get it easy.

Once you are able to spam alone in the lab, try and do it without looking where you are, (i focus on the opposite edge)

then you can spam while watching the opponent in a matc

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Normal and hard impact landings have frames that cannot be interrupted with platform drop, but can be interrupted with walking, so if you're not going to no-impact land, you need to walk for at least one frame before dropping.

Chevy

Smash Ace
Alternatively, you can shai drop if you land too late. Hold down the first frame after landing and then light press shield the next.

Top Bottom