• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A quick observation about proper use of the landing/fast-fall nair

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
Something I've noticed but I haven't really seen people discuss is the best strategy and timing for a landing nair or fast-fall nair. I see a lot of novice Luigi players (and I even catch myself doing it too much) use fast-fall nair on idle opponents on the ground. I just want to note that nair is NOT safe on shield, and the majority of the time you will just get grabbed or otherwise punished. A much better approach is to use it to punish yourself; it has an incredibly fast hitbox (frame 3), making it easy to punish an opponent after almost any move. But otherwise if they're just waiting on the ground, I recommend NOT using nair as your go-to approach to try and hit them. For close air combat it's fine, since a lot of people get caught in the air by its fast hitbox.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
As a former victim of using this, I agree. You're better off just doing a Tomahawk and grabbing them afterwards.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
My favorite usage of a fast fall nair is after a d-throw -> x2 fair combo at early percents. Fast fall nair into several up tilts is sooooooo good.

I also throw it out occasionally to break combos. If you mash A, you can throw out 1-2 during a little mac jab combo. It's kind of funny.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I also throw it out occasionally to break combos. If you mash A, you can throw out 1-2 during a little mac jab combo. It's kind of funny.
Actually, LM's rapid jab is one of the few rapid jab that jabs so fast, you can't N-air out of it aside from very specific circumstances. Captain Falcon's rapid jab? N-air-able. LM? Bleep that.

And... yeah. Disjointed jabs are not N-air-able (Greninja, Robin, Palutena). But then again, if we were to have a move that breaks through every single thing, that'd be OP.

Fun fact: Luigi's N-air has 3 frames more landing lag than Mario's for some reason.

Last edited:

Soupy

Sage of Wind
Actually, LM's rapid jab is one of the few rapid jab that jabs so fast, you can't N-air out of it aside from very specific circumstances. Captain Falcon's rapid jab? N-air-able. LM? Bleep that.

And... yeah. Disjointed jabs are not N-air-able (Greninja, Robin, Palutena). But then again, if we were to have a move that breaks through every single thing, that'd be OP.

Fun fact: Luigi's N-air has 3 frames more landing lag than Mario's for some reason.
I've n-aired out of it several times before :/
Granted, it didn't fully stop the jab but it still connected like 2-3 times

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Agreed. SH dair is the best aerial approach imo, followed by fair.

Top Bottom