• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Question About Regions

FlintTheWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwiggitySteven
I know that this seems like an odd topic for a thread, but I have a question as to how the MDVA and Tri-State regions are split. I know that the TL;DR version is that MDVA encompasses Maryland, DC, Virginia, and Delaware and that Tri-State encompasses Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, but as someone currently living in York, PA which is on the border between MD and PA, I've noticed that smashers from MDVA sometimes come up to tournaments in South-Central PA and that smashers from South-Central PA come to MDVA tournaments seeing as how there aren't as many tournaments in our area. So my question is, could York, Lancaster, and Adams counties (along with any other counties within the general south-central cluster) kind of be considered as being part of MDVA?

I ask this question because as someone who used to live in Baltimore and as someone who plans to (hopefully) be attending Melee and Smash 4 tournaments within the next year, I believe that I'll be attending MDVA tournaments more than tournaments in or around York simply because MDVA has more of them. I know it's kind of a trivial thing about who belongs to which region, but I'm just kind of curious. Personally, seeing as York and its surrounding counties are far closer to Baltimore than they are to, say, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, I would say that South-Central PA should kind of be considered a part of MDVA. I know that, realistically, I probably won't be on the MDVA power rankings or participating in a regional crew battle anytime soon, but I feel it's a good discussion to have considering that the South-Central PA smash community is starting to grow a bit and seems to mingle with the MDVA region frequently, with major MDVA players participating in tournaments like White Rose Monthly.

(Note: I feel I kind of only have a general understanding of how regions work and what their function is, so I apologize if the answer to this is obvious or if I sound stupid)

Last edited:
Top Bottom