• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A question about fair hitboxes

Naut

Smash Rookie
There are times when I've tried to swat someone away from the ledge with Marth's fair and it hits the away successfully. There are other times that causes the opponent to be hit straight upward. If I remember correctly, both hits were tippered. Can someone explain what causes this and how I can prevent using the wrong hitbox? I suppose alternatively I could use bair, but fair feels much more intuitive because of its speed.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Marth_(SSBM)/Forward_aerial

The tipper hitbubble launch angle is up and slightly away (67°), and all non-tipper hitbubble launch angles are the Sakurai angle (practically 45°; see this: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Sakurai_angle).

DIing inwards on a tipper will result in a nearly-vertical launch angle, and DIing in on a non-tipper results in a launch angle similar to that of a tipper hit. Likewise, DIing away on a tipper results in a launch angle similar to that of a non-tipper hit, and DIing away on a non-tipper results in an away and slightly upwards launch angle.

Space better if you don't want the tipper hit. For a forward aerial, the tipper hitbubble only takes effect if you hit with just the tip; hitting with both tip and non-tip hitbubbles simultaneously will give you a non-tipper hit.

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman

Fair hitboxes:
innermost:
9 damage, 361 (sakurai angle, look it up) knockback angle, 20 base knockback, and 70 knockback growth.
middle hitbox:
10 damage, 361 angle, 30 base knockback, and 70 knockback growth.
tip:
13 damage, 67 knockback angle (0 degrees is directly in front, 90 is directly up, 180 is directly behind, etc.), 42 base knockback, and 70 knockback growth.

if you hit with the tip and middle hitboxes at the same time the middle one will out-prioritize it resulting in you thinking you got a tipper

bair hitboxes:
9/361/25/70
10/361/30/70
13/361/30/92

so yeah, if you want to edge guard use back air, its stronger and it will always hit with a sakurai angle

Last edited:
Top Bottom