• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Proposition to the Community

halfDemon

Smash Lord
::General Summary on Bottom in Bold::

The Scenario

I spend a good deal of my time online, and consequently, surf Smashboards a lot. While on these boards, I like to discuss things about certain characters, and about upcoming tournaments in my area. But another thing that I do every time on SWF, is watch videos of people who are asking for help or just showing off, watch combo videos of big names, or watch combo videos of nobodies. Sometimes I'll watch videos from tournaments, just to see what's what, or for pure enjoyment. And I'll browse character specifics, too, searching for matches of good DK's or Fox's against a certain character.

The majority of all of these videos, of these matches, combo videos, crews, guides, are all on YouTube. As a result, I spend a good deal of my time searching for specific things on YouTube after I'm done watching what I got via the link from Smashboards. Other times, too, I'll just go straight to YouTube and search for something I've heard of, or search for something I need help with. A lot of the time, I'll load up YouTube just to see if any of my subscriptions have new videos I'm interested in watching. So generally, I have a purpose when searching for Smash videos.

But other times I don't have a specific character or player I want to watch. I just want to watch something Smash. A random match between two pros, or a random match between two people I've never even heard of. Maybe just some crew match between... two crews. The point is, I just want to see some Smash videos.

However, typing in "ssbm" or "ssbm falcon" and hitting "Search" isn't enough. I'll get thousands of user-created trailers for Brawl, or the dumbest match between John and his sister. Sure, I might not have a certain video I want to watch, but I definitely don't want to stare at a video of Roy vs. Yoshi on Hyrule Castle for six minutes. So what do I do? I sit there, and keep clicking "Next" at the bottom of the page, after checking the 20 results being shown for "ssbm marth" and confirming that they are all scrubs, related to some dumb Brawl trailer -- not containing Marth in it -- that was posted 400 times before it, or some drunk playing guitar (I don't know where I got this one). But sitting there, sifting through countless videos is such a bore!

All I want is to find some videos of people who at least know what L-canceling and dash-dancing are and watch them for a bit. What am I to do?

My Proposition

As I'm sure I'm not the only one facing this at least every so often, I have come up with, albeit and obvious one, a possible solution, or at least a sort of filter.

I've discussed this with one of my friends, and he said I should post it, so here goes:

There are tags on YouTube, and they're used to help find videos and relate them to other videos. So it's simple, really; why not use a single, common tag for every video from Smashboards, or of people related to Smashboards and competitive Smash. It shouldn't be such a commonly used tag that every Joe is putting into they're Brawl trailer either (a la "ssbm"). I propose that we use a unique tag for all videos from Smashboards that no one else, or almost no one, would use to tag his or her own video.

I propose that we tag every Smash video from these boards with "SWF."

And that's my proposition.

Also posted in Melee Discussion.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I agree; it's annoying to have to sift through n00b material. It's also annoying to try and search for specific matches just to find that people only put "ssbm" as their tags, not who's playing who, who's using who, etc.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Time to go editing videos.....
This was a good idea. Just like everyone says, I agree that it's annoying surf for things made my noob.

Top Bottom