• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A notable trait of Glide Attacking...

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
Now, I'm not sure if this has received mention and, if it hasn't, whether or not it can be considered any sort of advance technique (I'm doubtful)... But while Training today, I noticed that if a Glide Attack is done close enough to the ground that it cancels Fall-Special, you have the ability to change directions near instantly.

This has a few implications. First and most importantly, it makes it much easier to combo opponents who fly backwards from a Glide Attack. This is fairly self explanatory. Secondly, it makes punishing a near-ground Glide Attack that misses very hard and gives the Meta Knight player the ability to space himself and start an aerial combo anew if he's being chased. Finally, it allows for mind games to a degree; for instance, you could repeatedly fly a bit short and dash backwards (or possibly cape backwards?) and then at some point actually go in for an attack.

I'm also not sure if Glide Attack is the only glide-cancel this applies to, but since you should near always attempt a glide attack rather than using B or something, it hardly matters.

So, thoughts?

P.S. If a consensus is reached and this IS some sort of advanced technique, I'll name it, I suppose. But again, I'm not sure it is.

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
would you name it wave slashing? or....um......glide dashing?
Fairly off-topic... and Wave Slashing? Lol. I don't see where the "wave" comes in there.

But I suppose a good question, so:

I'm not sure what I would name it. Tentatively, it would be named slash dashing, but depending on the full capabilities of a near-ground Glide Attack, and furthermore, whether or not other glide-cancels share the same traits as the Glide Attack, it might develop into a different name. I'll keep testing and experimenting and then decide on something.

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean change direction? Turn around in mid air? Or just after landing? Cause we know that attacking cancels the glide-landing lag....

JDegner790

Smash Rookie
Yeah, after checking back and looking a little more at things concerning Glide Attack in T!mmy's stickied thread, it does seem like it mentions what I'm getting at. Oops?

Lol, in any case, I guess using the cape straight out of a glide-cancel might be a bit interesting... Hmm.

Shears

Smash Master
Now, I'm not sure if this has received mention and, if it hasn't, whether or not it can be considered any sort of advance technique (I'm doubtful)... But while Training today, I noticed that if a Glide Attack is done close enough to the ground that it cancels Fall-Special, you have the ability to change directions near instantly.

This has a few implications. First and most importantly, it makes it much easier to combo opponents who fly backwards from a Glide Attack. This is fairly self explanatory. Secondly, it makes punishing a near-ground Glide Attack that misses very hard and gives the Meta Knight player the ability to space himself and start an aerial combo anew if he's being chased. Finally, it allows for mind games to a degree; for instance, you could repeatedly fly a bit short and dash backwards (or possibly cape backwards?) and then at some point actually go in for an attack.

I'm also not sure if Glide Attack is the only glide-cancel this applies to, but since you should near always attempt a glide attack rather than using B or something, it hardly matters.

So, thoughts?

P.S. If a consensus is reached and this IS some sort of advanced technique, I'll name it, I suppose. But again, I'm not sure it is.

this has been known for a while, you can glide attack out of upB and a regular jump-glide and there is no lag when you land giving you the chance to immediately perform any attack you want. good observation but your about a month behind. there has been mention about it before when the game first came out so your going to have to dig through and find the name this technique was dubbed. btw its something all good meta knight players use because theres no stopping it other than a shield but you can grab before they can because they have stun from the glide attack, you wont. and if they airdodge you can just turn around and upB, it will come out faster than they can airdodge again. and if you just so happen to miss the upB, just swoop down and glide attack again. and if you miss that or they shielded, grab or attack on the ground because theres no lag. and if you honestly miss that, change your character or stop playing video games, its obviously something you suck at.

Top Bottom