• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Tech Has Been Discovered!

Vader614

Smash Cadet
NNID
andyvader
In the Smash 4 competitive scene, most of the characters have the bread and butter Down Throws that helps lead into combos to get good damage percentage and Mr. Game and Watch's Down Throw combos is one of the best in Smash 4. However, G&W's Down Throw combos always have trouble against fast-fallers (Ex. Sheik, Diddy Kong, Fox, etc.) and as such, it was really difficult for players to challenge these types of characters because we, the G&W players, are unable to do our Down Throw combos on them till 30%-40%, which by then, fast-fallers could potentially have either given us too much damage % already or we lose a stock/game.

...I'm here to fix that with THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1sUXLEW1-A

While fighting fast-fallers can still be a bit tricky to battle, this new combo will make up for our lack of Down Throw combos (till again 30%-40%) against fast fallers: Up Throws or as I like to call this combo The Toot-Toot Combo! Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to finally Fair connects successfully to fast-fallers and deals up to 43%, a great combo attack! You can connect with this combo up until at least 10%. Once the Toot-Toot Combo dishes out that 43% damage percentage (or just 30%-40% in general), it's the Down Throw time to shine again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSxps9PEDc

Mr. Game and Watch's
Up Throw Combo

The Darth Throw (Up Throw+Up Air) Combo

0%-41% (Easy)

Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to Fair Sweetspot=41%
Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to Fair Sourspot=36%
Up Throw to Up Air to Up B=30%
Up Throw to Up Air=24%
Up Throw=8%

Characters that it'll work on: Mario (super strict timing), Bowser Jr., Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Link, Zelda (Will miss Fair), Sheik, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Marth, Ike, Robin, Duck Hunt, Kirby (Super strict-Will miss Fair though), King Dedede, Meta Knight (super strict timing), Fox, Falco, Pikachu (super strict timing), Lucario, Greninja, ROB, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Dr. Mario (super strict timing), Dark Pit, Lucina, Mega Man, Sonic, Mewtwo, Roy, Ryu, Cloud

5%-46% (Normal)

Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to Fair Sweetspot=46%
Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to Fair Sourspot=41%
Up Throw to Up Air to Up B=35%
Up Throw to Up Air=29%
Up Throw=13%

Characters that it'll work on: Mario (super strict timing), Bowser Jr., Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Link, Sheik, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus (Will miss Fair though), Pit, Marth, Ike, Robin, Duck Hunt, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Pikachu (super strict timing-will miss Fair), Lucario, Greninja, ROB, Captain Falcon, Shulk, Dr. Mario (super strict timing), Dark Pit, Lucina, Mega Man, Sonic, Mewtwo, Roy, Ryu, Cloud

10%-51% (Hard)

Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to Fair Sweetspot=51%
Up Throw to Up Air to Up B to Fair Sourspot=46%
Up Throw to Up Air to Up B=40%
Up Throw to Up Air=34%
Up Throw=18%

Characters that it'll work on: Bowser Jr., Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Little Mac, Link, Sheik, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus (Will miss Fair), Pit (Will miss Fair), Marth (Will miss Fair), Ike, Robin (Will miss Fair though), Duck Hunt (Will miss Fair though), King Dedede, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Lucario (super strict), ROB (will miss Fair), Captain Falcon, Shulk (Will miss Fair), Dark Pit (Will miss Fair), Lucina (Will miss Fair), Mega Man, Mewtwo (Will miss Fair), Roy, Ryu, Cloud

The Darth Throw (Up Throw+Up Air) Combo Ends Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYKVdJih5s

Now before I conclude this thread, there are a number of things you need to take note of:

1.) Don't be surprised if you don't get the Darth Throw down right away. As soon as you do your Up Throw, you have to immediately leap up there and do your Up Air or else you'll miss your combo attack. As the old saying goes "Practice makes perfect".

2.) The timing on the Foward Air CAN be tricky to land. The reason is when you do your Up B part of the combo, there's a chance that you could suddenly be too high for the Fair to land. You'll have to either adjust the Up B (moving slightly left or right before going in for Fair) OR, after doing Up B, quickly go for fast fall and proceed with Fair.

3.) While this combo works well with the majority of the cast, the true shine of this beautiful combo is to help the G&W MU handle against the likes of fast-fallers like Fox, Diddy Kong and Sheik. Feel free to not use the Toot-Toot combo on any of the characters that aren't fast-fallers (you still use them-you'll just most likely like to be all flashy or like to mix-things up a bit), BUT for actual fast-faller character, this is IMPORTANT to learn and master this! This can greatly change the factor that G&W can actually win his worst MU matches if used properly as well as still using the Down Throw combos once Darth Throw Combo has its job done and obviously knowing the MU.

Well with that said, I hope this newly discovered combo that I've created will help all G&W players, especially in the competitive scene, do better against the MUs. Good luck and May the Force Be With You.

-Vader

Last edited:
This new combo is fantastic! Thank you very much for sharing. In return, here's a combo I've found to be wildly effective.

Works on: Little Mac, Falco (a bit tricky), Cloud, Ike, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Wario, Link, ROB, Marth, Lucina, Pikachu (a bit tricky), Mario, Doctor Mario, Robin, Shulk, Pit, Dark Pit, Sonic, Mewtwo, Charizard, Bowser, Zelda, Samus, Luigi, and Wii Fit Trainer (very tricky).

Combo Name: Elevator

(0~7%)
Down Throw to up tilt to (full hop) neutral air to (jump) up air to up B (does 57%)

(Can be difficult if the opponent DI's backwards after the up tilt but still possible)

On larger characters, substitute another neutral air for the up air to potentially get a forward air off of the up B. This can be done with using the up air, or on other characters, but the forward air can only be sourspotted after angling the up B directly into the opponent.

On certain fastfallers (so far have only found Captain Falcon, Mega Man, and Meta Knight), you can do:

Down throw to up tilt to up tilt to (full hop)neutral air to up B

If the opponent DI's backwards after the first up tilt, you need to react and turn around to do the second up tilt. If the turnaround is too hard, instead do a turnaround forward tilt.

EDIT: One criticism, though: you might want to change the name of this new combo, since The Toot Toot is already naming Mr. Game and Watch's kill setup, Down throw into double jump up air (95~105%). Just a minor thing, maybe the Toot Toot is a name only known around Xanadu.

Last edited:

Vader614

Smash Cadet
NNID
andyvader
This new combo is fantastic! Thank you very much for sharing. In return, here's a combo I've found to be wildly effective.

Works on: Little Mac, Falco (a bit tricky), Cloud, Ike, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Wario, Link, ROB, Marth, Lucina, Pikachu (a bit tricky), Mario, Doctor Mario, Robin, Shulk, Pit, Dark Pit, Sonic, Mewtwo, Charizard, Bowser, Zelda, Samus, Luigi, and Wii Fit Trainer (very tricky).

(0~7%)
Down Throw to up tilt to (full hop) neutral air to (jump) up air to up B

(Can be difficult if the opponent DI's backwards after the up tilt but still possible)

On larger characters, substitute another neutral air for the up air to potentially get a forward air off of the up B. This can be done with using the up air, or on other characters, but the forward air can only be sourspotted after angling the up B directly into the opponent.

On certain fastfallers (so far have only found Captain Falcon, Mega Man, and Meta Knight), you can do:

If the opponent DI's backwards after the first up tilt, you need to react and turn around to do the second up tilt. If the turnaround is too hard, instead do a turnaround forward tilt.

EDIT: One criticism, though: you might want to change the name of this new combo, since The Toot Toot is already naming Mr. Game and Watch's kill setup, Down throw into double jump up air (95~105%). Just a minor thing, maybe the Toot Toot is a name only known around Xanadu.
Haha, thanks. I'm glad you like the combo! This combo is definitely made to help G&W against his tough MUs of the likes of Fox, Sheik, Diddy, etc. since our Down Throw combos are useless in low %. And really nice combo you've told me too! I'll have to take a look at it and try it out myself soon. And I'll change the name too, I've forgotten that the Toot-Toot is a confirm name lamo.

-Vader

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.

(0~7%)
Down Throw to up tilt to (full hop) neutral air to (jump) up air to up B (does 57%)

Ayy I remember that first combo, I put that is my guide! Good job finding it yourself!

But I didn't think to try utilting fastfallers like Captain Falcon twice since you can regrab him instead, but that's good info, thanks.

phantoon

Smash Cadet
this is some really good stuff! i used to do the dthrow -> footstool dair on fastfallers but it was kind of mediocre as it only did like 26%~, although you could potentially follow up with a dash attack or regrab (wasn't guaranteed)

thisNeko

Smash Rookie
However, G&W's Down Throw combos always have trouble against fast-fallers (Ex. Sheik, Diddy Kong, Fox, etc.) and as such, it was really difficult for players to challenge these types of characters because we, the G&W players, are unable to do our Down Throw combos on them till 30%-40%, which by then, fast-fallers could potentially have either given us too much damage % already or we lose a stock/game.
You can D-throw to Jab or D-throw to Footstoll to Dair and it's 100% guarenteed. From what i saw this combo can be easely DI and is most of the time not guarenteed.

Jo Ozaki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Muhawk
This will definitely be useful against fox, sheik and diddy kong especially, props for finding this man. Also if your certain the fair won't connect after fire u can just immediately dair and autocancel to have no lag to gain stage control as well. Is this guaranteed regardless of di?

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Look at :12 on the fox video.
that movement lol

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
Look at :12 on the fox video.
that movement lol
Of course that's the only thing my boy Top Boss looks out for. We need to play again some time in the future, even if you don't use fox online anymore. -Gucki

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
They can super DI up throw so it's hard to get the up air I've seen some guy go wayyyy far to the left or right after up throw

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Of course that's the only thing my boy Top Boss looks out for. We need to play again some time in the future, even if you don't use fox online anymore. -Gucki
Who are you?
I'll still play fox online if someone wants me to play as him. It just gets frustrating sometimes.
And sure, I'll play you sometime.

Last edited:

Youbacon42

Smash Cadet
Who are you?
I'll still play fox online if someone wants me to play as him. It just gets frustrating sometimes.
And sure, I'll play you sometime.
I've been forgotten. My pride is ruined.
On a serious note, you were in the G&W skype group for a short while, and we played quite a bit. It's been a while, so I understand if you don't remember me. But I'd be glad to fight you again some day in the future.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I've been forgotten. My pride is ruined.
On a serious note, you were in the G&W skype group for a short while, and we played quite a bit. It's been a while, so I understand if you don't remember me. But I'd be glad to fight you again some day in the future.
OH SHOOT, I REMEMBER YOU! YOU'RE GUCKIWUMPS!
Yeah my Skype won't stop crashing lol.

Top Bottom