• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A New Challenger Appears!

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Howdy, everybody!

I'm a smasher from Vancouver, BC, Canada who played a lot of 64 back in the day, but am only now getting into the competitive Melee scene. I don't own a Wii so I don't play Brawl or Project M, I'm afraid. If SSB4 turns out to be good, perhaps it'll push me to get a WiiU.

• Who do you main in 64/Melee/Brawl/PM/SSB4, why?
64: I had this game as a kid and played my brains out on it. It was super fun discovering all of the characters' moves and unlocking everything. Without the internet as an easy resource, all of the unlocks were through experimentation and self-discovery. Despite the amount I played the game, I never really picked a main. I suppose I mostly played Samus, Fox, and Captain Falcon, eventually settling on the latter (mostly due to "Falcon Punch" being a new and hilarious/ awesome thing). I stopped playing the game for a long time until a month ago I was invited to a Smash 64 tournament at a friend's house. It was a nostalgic experience and, just for the fun of it, I picked Donkey Kong, who I used to never take seriously. A lot of the players were new so I thought it was hilarious grabbing them and carrying them off to our mutual deaths. I actually beat the guy who eventually won the tournament during a round robin match by carrying him off the edge. I placed fourth overall in the tournament, having not played in years, so I feel DK is my go-to-man, if only for the laughs (that, and his spinning attack is so strong).

Melee: I only got this game super recently (ie. this month) but am hoping to get into the competitive scene. I played it a few times when I was younger but having not owned a Gamecube until recently, I couldn't get into it as much as I got into 64. I've picked Sheik as my main because a) I love the Legend of Zelda series, b) Sheik is just the coolest, c) I love fast characters in fighting games (ignore my choice of DK in 64), d) If there is anything resembling a ninja, I immediately gravitate towards it, and e) forward air OP.

Brawl: I don't own a Wii, and thus don't own Brawl, but I feel I'd want to stick with Sheik out of blind devotion and love for the franchise. Maybe Samus too, for the same reasons.

PM: Again, no Wii, so no Project M :( If given the option, I'd definitely go with Zelda, since I hear she's pretty good for once, and I actually wanted to main Zelda in Melee before learning how awful and incomplete she is (if there are any who disagree, please let me know).

SSB4: Of course there's no way to be certain, but again, I'd probably stick with Zelda/ Sheik, with a preference for Zelda as per the reasons stated above. I'm also interested in how Palutena will play, since she was the best part of Kid Icarus Uprising.

• Why have you joined Smashboards? Do you know anyone here?
I can't say I know anyone here, but I joined Smashboards to get involved in the community. I used to be part of a clan for a game I played a lot and the forum community was arguably more fun than playing the game. I'm hoping to join a similar community online, since in real life I'm pretty shy and awkward.

• Do you attend tournaments? Do you want to?
I don't feel confident enough in my abilities at the moment to attend tournaments (aside from that casual 64 tournament I attended at a friend's house -- not a legit tourny at all). That said, I absolutely want to attend some when I've improved and mastered some of the more basic aspects of the game (I can't even ledgeguard without killing myself 50% of the time).

• Talk about your interests outside of Smash Bros.! Anime, sports, other games, etc.
I'm a huge fan of Nintendo's main franchises (Zelda, Metroid, Mario, etc.) but haven't owned one of their consoles during its primary lifespan since the N64. Starting the sixth generation I became a PlayStation Owner and haven't really looked back, given Nintendo's generally lackluster third party support. That said, their best games tend to be some of the best/ most appealing of their generations, so my heart breaks for Nintendo with hopes that some day they'll get their act together. I do own a 3DS which is amazing so at least Nintendo has still got it handheld-wise.
I'm transitioning a lot towards PC gaming while the consoles pick themselves up from the usual early-generation slump. Particularly playing a lot of CS:GO, Paradox strategy games, etc.
I watch way too much TV and film. My favourite TV show of all time is Battlestar Galactica, and my favourite movie of all time is Star Wars (Episode IV), which makes me sound like a super-duper-sci-fi-geek, but those are probably the only two sci-fi properties I'm a huge fan of, so that's not entirely true. I also watch some anime, although I'm pretty negative about a lot of anime and its tropes so it takes something special to compel me (not that the super-monetized western television market is perfect either). Really good anime, however, can be reeeeeally good.
I enjoy the concept of writing, although I'm far too lazy to even consider writing anything substantial. (Apparently I enjoy writing way too much, as evidenced by this post's length).

• What other communities are you a part of? Clubs at school, other forums?
I'm a staff writer for my unviersity's school paper, and plan to join my local Saint John Ambulance branch which provides first aid services at local events such as sports games, concerts, festivals, etc.

If you managed to persevere through this post, congratulations! Tell me a bit about yourself! Maybe we have things in common besides fantastic taste in fighting games.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I enjoy some LoZ too, but it's all about the Triforce of Power. When it comes to representing a LoZ character in Smash, I go with the King of Evil himself, Ganondorf :evil: Sheik is second in line though.

The Star Wars series will always be in my heart as my intro to Sci-Fi the same way DBZ was my intro to anime. What do you think about Star Wars coming back starting with the new movie coming in a couple of years?

Really good anime, however, can be reeeeeally good.
Of course really good anime will be reeeeeeally good :laugh:

But jokes aside, glad to have you are. Looking forward to seeing you become an active member of our community! If you'd like to know more about me, I think the introduction I made is still somewhere on the first page in this forum. It's roughly the same length as yours, so just be prepared to snooze on me.

Enjoy the forums!

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Welcome Luwafer!

Tell me a bit about yourself! Maybe we have things in common besides fantastic taste in fighting games.
I am a mortal man who only lives for the service, honor, and glory of our lord and savior, the eternal Sun God, Superman.

Kneel before me.jpg

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
I enjoy some LoZ too, but it's all about the Triforce of Power. When it comes to representing a LoZ character in Smash, I go with the King of Evil himself, Ganondorf :evil: Sheik is second in line though.
Brains over brawn, as they say ;)

The Star Wars series will always be in my heart as my intro to Sci-Fi the same way DBZ was my intro to anime. What do you think about Star Wars coming back starting with the new movie coming in a couple of years?
When it was first announced that Disney bought Star Wars and was making Episodes VII-IX, I was pretty bummed out. Felt it was a cheap cash grab (which it most certainly is) and would taint the series. Since then, the idea has grown on me substantially, to the extent that I am extremely excited and optimistic to see the end result. Reports that they are trying to rely more on scale models over CGI is awesome, and the cast of the original trilogy returning is of course fantastic, but it's the relatively new faces that excite me the most, since that's how most of the original cast got their start. And of course, just the idea of a brand new Star Wars saga gets me extremely excited, and as sad as it is retconning the entire expanded universe, it opens up practically infinite possibilities for plots. Also, hiring veterans for the production team is an excellent move to making a better movie. For example, Lawrence Kasdan returning to co-write the script alongside J.J. Abrams is an incredibly welcome change. George Lucas, I love you, but you cannot write screenplays to save your life, save for Episode IV's original campiness.

That said, much can be gleaned from J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot, which has its ups and downs. On one hand, he made the series much more appealing to a general audience while maintaining a mostly solid plot and excellent pacing. On the other hand, he undoubtedly lost some of the original series' charm in the process, which I suppose is bound to happen in a reboot -- that, and lens flare. What the Star Wars prequel trilogy lacked the most (aside from good writing, good acting, good directing, and being good movies) was probably the rustic, operatic charm of the original trilogy, so it'd be nice to get some of that back again.

All that said, I'm definitely not as much of a hater of the prequel trilogy as most seem to be. Sure, Episodes I and II are legitimately bad movies in a lot of ways (Episode III I felt was vastly superior to both of them and arguably almost as good as Episode VI), but they were still entertaining and definitely had a different audience and mindset than catering just to the old fans of the original trilogy. Also, seeing the Jedi in their heyday was awesome, boring politics and whiny Anakins aside.

In case you couldn't tell, Star Wars is a huge passion of mine... I could go on for days.

Welcome Luwafer!
I am a mortal man who only lives for the service, honor, and glory of our lord and savior, the eternal Sun God, Superman.
View attachment 19966
2635071-1158893875-tumbl.png

Hokori

Great King of Evil
When it was first announced that Disney bought Star Wars and was making Episodes VII-IX, I was pretty bummed out. Felt it was a cheap cash grab (which it most certainly is) and would taint the series. Since then, the idea has grown on me substantially, to the extent that I am extremely excited and optimistic to see the end result. Reports that they are trying to rely more on scale models over CGI is awesome, and the cast of the original trilogy returning is of course fantastic, but it's the relatively new faces that excite me the most, since that's how most of the original cast got their start. And of course, just the idea of a brand new Star Wars saga gets me extremely excited, and as sad as it is retconning the entire expanded universe, it opens up practically infinite possibilities for plots. Also, hiring veterans for the production team is an excellent move to making a better movie. For example, Lawrence Kasdan returning to co-write the script alongside J.J. Abrams is an incredibly welcome change. George Lucas, I love you, but you cannot write screenplays to save your life, save for Episode IV's original campiness.

That said, much can be gleaned from J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot, which has its ups and downs. On one hand, he made the series much more appealing to a general audience while maintaining a mostly solid plot and excellent pacing. On the other hand, he undoubtedly lost some of the original series' charm in the process, which I suppose is bound to happen in a reboot -- that, and lens flare. What the Star Wars prequel trilogy lacked the most (aside from good writing, good acting, good directing, and being good movies) was probably the rustic, operatic charm of the original trilogy, so it'd be nice to get some of that back again.

All that said, I'm definitely not as much of a hater of the prequel trilogy as most seem to be. Sure, Episodes I and II are legitimately bad movies in a lot of ways (Episode III I felt was vastly superior to both of them and arguably almost as good as Episode VI), but they were still entertaining and definitely had a different audience and mindset than catering just to the old fans of the original trilogy. Also, seeing the Jedi in their heyday was awesome, boring politics and whiny Anakins aside.

In case you couldn't tell, Star Wars is a huge passion of mine... I could go on for days.
Your sentiments on the issue from how you initially felt to how you're feeling about the matter now are shockingly similar to my own. I appreciate you sharing your input :)

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
A Star Wars fan? I've found more of my kind... Makes me wanna change my avatar to my favorite character. Anyway, Welcome! Also, I don't think I properly introduced myself. StaffofSmashing, though lazy people call me Staffo. WELCOME!... again.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Your sentiments on the issue from how you initially felt to how you're feeling about the matter now are shockingly similar to my own. I appreciate you sharing your input :)
Great minds think alike, clearly :D

A Star Wars fan? I've found more of my kind... Makes me wanna change my avatar to my favorite character. Anyway, Welcome! Also, I don't think I properly introduced myself. StaffofSmashing, though lazy people call me Staffo. WELCOME!... again.
Nice to meet you, Staffo (I'm lazy). Darth Maul was probably the coolest character in Episode I, which is a bit sad, since he was in a grand total of maybe fifteen minutes and got chopped in half at the end. Still, he killed Liam Neeson. You have to be pretty amazing to kill Liam Neeson.

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to Smash Boards! I wouldn't get too comfortable with Melee because who knows what will return or leave in Smash 4! Hope to see you participating!

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Welcome to Smash Boards! I wouldn't get too comfortable with Melee because who knows what will return or leave in Smash 4! Hope to see you participating!
I'm hoping as much as the next person that Smash 4 becomes the next big thing, if only so the WiiU has another much needed good game. It'd be a good reason to get a WiiU, since I also want the new Zelda and (hopefully) new Metroid. Still, can't say there's enough to compel me to buy any of the newer consoles yet. I'll have to let Melee satiate me for the timebeing.

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
Welcome Luwafer! Good Luck with that edge guarding. I wonder about how those skills would transfer over to smash 4 for you as ledge mechanics are so different. As you said brushing up on the basics, I feel like thats a good idea. I will definitely practice my basics before my next tournament as my defensive play and spacing could use improvement. Also you should give Brawl a try if you get WiiU. I definitely want to try Mewtwo in any smash game.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Welcome Luwafer! Good Luck with that edge guarding. I wonder about how those skills would transfer over to smash 4 for you as ledge mechanics are so different. As you said brushing up on the basics, I feel like thats a good idea. I will definitely practice my basics before my next tournament as my defensive play and spacing could use improvement. Also you should give Brawl a try if you get WiiU. I definitely want to try Mewtwo in any smash game.
Howdy, _Kun_! I'm afraid I don't know a ton about how Smash 4 differs from the other games. How different are the ledge mechanics now?

_Kun_

Smash Cadet
In past smash games, grabbing the ledge gave you invincibility. However in Smash 4, grabbing the ledge grants you invincibility once each time your off stage and other people can steal the ledge by just getting close to it and not even attack you while off stage.

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
In past smash games, grabbing the ledge gave you invincibility. However in Smash 4, grabbing the ledge grants you invincibility once each time your off stage and other people can steal the ledge by just getting close to it and not even attack you while off stage.
Wooooah. I see. That could be hard to get used to. Doesn't sound like a terrible change, though. The ledge stalling in melee can get a bit ridiculous.

Top Bottom