• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Montage for Charizard Players (Why do you main him?)

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
Ok so I'm one of those guys who the day I saw him I said I was going to main him.

I never had a problem with him early on and by the point where everyone knows diddy is god like (can u believe we thought Bowser and Duck hunt were top tier) I already grew familiar enough to not wanna drop him

Also he's a dragon and a Pokémon which is and instant main

Thanks for showing the video and I hope fortune smiles upon u ofr years and years to come

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Char could've turned out to be Hyrule +++++++++++ Tier in this game, and I still would've mained him.

So long as he's in a video game, I pretty much have to pick him

:006:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
The lizard is slept on, and Charizard being as underestimated as he is should be a sin. His weaknesses are obvious to spot, but his strengths are a little harder to find unless you're getting your ass handed to you by one. He's all about rhythm and scaring your opponent into making a crucial mistake.

Charizard was actually the first character I used in Brawl on its release. I was mostly excited for PT as a whole, and I had a disliking of Charizard because of how big of a douchebag he was in the anime (and Charmander was my favorite character when I was a kid so seeing Charizard on-screen stung me). I picked PT and lo, Charizard came out and I took an instant liking to him. You could say I'm somewhat of a 'zard fanboy now, and I flipped out of my chair when he was announced for Smash 4

Why do I like him? I dunno. As a person, I'm easily bored and lack interest in a lot of things, so it doesn't come off as a surprise when I tell others that I crave destruction and a little bit of chaos. I'm pals with people who would sooner break an object than fix it, just for the enjoyment of seeing it shatter. I take pleasure in the demolition of higher values that give off a pretentious vibe. I hate being told what to do and by telling me to do something, I will do the complete opposite just to further spite and show that only I'm the boss of me.

I like Flare Blitzing into an unprepared player. I like Flare Blitzing in general. I like forward-smashing a Blast Box when no one is around. I like Rock Smashing to break a set-up that gives the opponent an undying message of "No, you can't do that." And I like forward-throwing when the world expects an up-throw.

In a sense, I'm glad Charizard is as low as he is on the tier list because it gives him another thing to destroy, and that's the doubts others have of him. No other character can give the "**** you" that Charizard can. Loved your video, by the way. I haven't laughed that much in a while.

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I main him because he's Charizard, the best Pokemon. During the Brawl days I always wanted Charizard to be a separate character and now that he is I have to use him, that and because Snake isn't in the game. Charizard reminds me of Snake a little, they're both fast power characters.
Also I still stand by the fact that I think Charizard is high tier.

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
I knew I was gonna main Rosalina before the game came out, and I did or a while, until the Wii U version released, which is when I dropped Rosa for Marth. It wasn't until just a few months ago when I was playing against my friend, getting my **** kicked by his falcon, I discovered that I could gimp him extremely easily with flamethrower. So I learned the rest of the character.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
Seeing all the Lizard love here, I want to repost what I wrote in another thread about why he's my main:

When Smash 4 put me back on the hype train, I planned to learn both Melee/PM and Smash 4 simultaneously, and I quickly became very attached to Marth's movement and tippers in Melee. I mained him in 4 for a while, before deciding I wanted to have different mains in the different games, because two different Marths was too confusing.

Charizard has always been among my favorite Pokemon, and he seemed like a good balance of unique without being overly unconventional. Plus I tend to like heavies since they work better with my slow fingers and never die (DK 64 main rep). So I did a ton of research and started playing Charizard. Every improvement I've made in my game with him and every technique I master makes me fall more and more in love with the character. Eventually I abandoned serious training in PM. To seal it off, my first offline tournament was the fabled day of his throw buffs, and some wonderful soul here discovered and posted them before brackets started. I felt like a god surprising people with dthrow combos and uthrow kills.

But you want to know the real reason he stays my main? The most viscerally satisfying aspect of this character that makes me addicted to playing him and improving with him? Super armor. Fly is without a doubt the most satisfying kill move I've ever used. Flare Blitz is, well, iconic and stylish. And Rock Smash is Charizard's YOLO take on a counter that kills, shield pokes, helps him land, avoids edgeguards, breaks combos, and favorably trades with almost anything. Maybe the honeymoon will end one day, but right now all I have to say is

Zard til I Die

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I main him because he's Charizard, the best Pokemon. During the Brawl days I always wanted Charizard to be a separate character and now that he is I have to use him, that and because Snake isn't in the game. Charizard reminds me of Snake a little, they're both fast power characters.
Also I still stand by the fact that I think Charizard is high tier.
This man knows :p
(He ties with Pangoro for best pokemon imo)

~~~~~~~

I honestly believed char was high tier before he got buffed. Don't get me wrong, the buffs were great!

...freaking seismic toss is a finisher move now man.

Talk about childhood flashbacks... I actually teared up a little after that patch

Hell, charizard even teared up a little

Buuut lets look passed the nostalgia for a minu--

BAH, who am I kidding, charizad is awesome. Screw high tier, charizad for top tier. Best CHARacter in the game, obv obv~ *ahem* Now's probbaly not the time for that...

:009:

He already had a kill throw before the patch. Now he just... has a slightly more broken kill throw.

He already had a combo throw before the patch, now he just has two more.

He already had no trouble killing or wracking up damage, he just does it slightly better now

And he might as well not even have a dash skid for as short as it is >_>

People are so quick to point out his weaknesses, since they're easy to spot. He's got a bit of meat on his bones, so he's susceptible to being combo'd. His stregnths, however, don't become apparent until charizard grabs you and doesn't let you out of his clutches until he's already tacked on a free 60%, by which time, he only has to hit you 2 more times, and you're at K.O percent. I'm not being biased when I say he's underrated. People really do overlook the things that make charizard good.

:003:

Anyways, to expand on the reasons why I main charizard in this game. I'd like to finally help clear up the negative stigma heavyweights seem to have in this game. Just look at this match for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqUz2TmyFtg

Even while bloodcross was obviously outplaying the falcon player, the commentators wouldn't stop going on about how "Falcon can easily win if he just does this". Victory was just a few uairs away for the falcon player, then he just had to land a KO move and he could turn the match around...

On the other hand, charizard could just bthrow falcon offstage, press B, and KO him at 20%. Never mind about that though, Flacon just has to land 8 uairs into a kill move and he can win :facepalm:

People continue to overrate charizard, even when he proves himself to be a viable threat. There needs to be more high level zard players. I was soooo close to breaking into high level play in brawl, (I even took a game off of one of the best Ike's. And beat Ruinn in friendlies, who was Power Ranked at the time) I'd like to do it in this game with char, show off what he's really capable of.

If that's not enough of a reason to play charizard in this game... He's a cuddly dragon. What other reason do you need? :4charizard:

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
When I first saw him announced in Smash 4. I knew I was going to be using him. He's a dragon, and who doesn't love dragons?

I didn't use him too much in Brawl because I didn't like how he was stuck with the Pokemon Trainer. So I wanted to try him out again. But I never intended to main him. I planned main Ness, and I did for the first day or so, and then tried out Zard and saw how cool and fun he is to play. He just felt really satisfying.
He has no trouble killing and can punish hard. And with the new patch it just made him even better and gave him more combos.
I'll always be maining this guy.

Long live Zard. :006:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I don't think Charizard is high tier because his weaknesses are too exploitable. He should be higher up, though.

The problem most Charizard users seem to have is that they're not daring enough, and they don't know how to space well with him. Most opt to put up a shield and grab instead of up smashing or mixing up their options. Skill level plays a huge part in that, but one thing you have to understand about Charizard is that he's a heavy character. You can afford to take hits. And with a very, very fast dash (oh, and that beautiful dash cancel!) paired with aerials that can beat out a majority of the cast, he's more than capable of scaring an opponent into limiting their own options.

I've seen talk that Charizard is best used as a defensive character, but I have to disagree with that. A defensive Charizard is easy to trick and rush down. He's more about strangling the other person until they do what you want them to do. In the offense, he's not so much about mind-games as he is about commanding the battlefield.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Charizard has gotten bigger buff's making him my new main because be has so many new combo options

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I used to main Charizard before the 1.0.8 patch, but unfortunately I just couldn't win with him. Now with all the new buffs, I've picked him back up and this time, I think he's staying around.
:006:Long live the Zard!:006:

Last edited:

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I main Charizard for 2 reasons:

1: I prefer hard-hitting spacing characters
2: Charizard is my favorite nintendo character

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I was a PT main and the other two mons got voted off the island.

And compared to Brawl, Charizard was buffed like CRAZY.

Pi Aaa

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty new to competitive Smash (just had my first friendlies/tournament a few days ago) but I played a bunch of traditional fighters before. I used to play characters with stupid setplay and autopilot neutral like Rachel in BlazBlue, but I've been transitioning to simpler characters that emphasize fundamentals and rely less on execution.

I wanted to play Pikachu but figured he was kinda execution-heavy. I ended up playing Charizard since I liked his playstyle, even though he's pretty butt compared to the rest of the cast. at least he gets buffed every patch

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
A lot of you have pretty good reasons to main Charizard.

And then me, who uses him just because I love his massive and long tail...what an amazing tail he has...

Rhydon65

Smash Rookie
I play as Charizard because his melee attacks have more strength and range than my other mains, so I'll pick him if I need that extra boost. He's also pretty difficult to KO, which is especially helpful considering Flare Blitz hurts him.

Rathizard

Smash Rookie
A pokeball or a hunter's trap somewhere in SoCal
'Sup fellow Charizard players! New guy here. Figured it would be best to have my first post be in this thread.

A lot of people have some great responses here. And most of them I would have to say are the same reasons I main him!

:004:

When I first started playing Pokemon, Charmander was the one I picked! And when he evolved into Charizard after days and week of playing, oh what a joyus day! Just a monsterous, fire throwing dragon who's tail is literally on fire. Even watching the show (even if he was being a pain in the butt most of the time) I was enjoying seeing him get screen time, especially when fighting.

:005:

In Brawl, I got a taste of him with the Pokemon Trainer. We never played super competitively, and I cycled through a lot of characters as we played from match to match. But as soon as I saw Charizard as a full-fledged character, I looked to that glorious and never looked back. Sure, I play with a few other characters, but over half the matches I play, I lplay Charizard.

A bit of nostalgia, a bit of underdog glory, and a bit wanting to watch the world burn while cackling madly.:4charizard:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
'Sup fellow Charizard players! New guy here. Figured it would be best to have my first post be in this thread.

A lot of people have some great responses here. And most of them I would have to say are the same reasons I main him!

:004:

When I first started playing Pokemon, Charmander was the one I picked! And when he evolved into Charizard after days and week of playing, oh what a joyus day! Just a monsterous, fire throwing dragon who's tail is literally on fire. Even watching the show (even if he was being a pain in the butt most of the time) I was enjoying seeing him get screen time, especially when fighting.

:005:

In Brawl, I got a taste of him with the Pokemon Trainer. We never played super competitively, and I cycled through a lot of characters as we played from match to match. But as soon as I saw Charizard as a full-fledged character, I looked to that glorious and never looked back. Sure, I play with a few other characters, but over half the matches I play, I lplay Charizard.

A bit of nostalgia, a bit of underdog glory, and a bit wanting to watch the world burn while cackling madly.:4charizard:
Hello, and welcome to Smashboards! I hope you enjoy your stay.
And those are all very nice reasons. Smash 4 is the first ever Smash game I've played, so I never got to see how Charziard was in Brawl along with Ivysaur and Squirtle. And although he's not one of my personal favorites for the final form of a starter (that prize goes to Serperior), I can't help but give the big lug some love.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Like people have already said, Charizard is Charizard and that's good enough of a reason.

Also, Ivysaur's probably hanging out in his stomach, and that's the closest I'll have as playing as her.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I first picked up charizard in smash 4 when I took a liking to the heavies. I never really used pokemon trainer in brawl, so he was mostly foreign to me. I immediately noticed that charizard was nothing like the other heavies in his playstyle, and I still liked him, but I was a bit of a flare blitz spammer. After deciding that my main was Dedede, I wanted to practice my secondaries more. While doing this, I found myself practicing Charizard much more than any of my other secondaries because he had so many things I needed to practice and learn with him. He was not a pick-up-and-play character at all, and I ended up getting quite familiar with many of Charizard's unique abilities, strengths, and playstyle that many people have no idea exist! I liked this so much that I decided to make Charizard my official secondary. Honestly, I believe that Charizard has even more potential than Dedede, but I have already sworn my allegiance to the king, and he is more fun to play, but people are always so surprised when they see me playing zard, saying things like "Wow! You are really good with Charizard" and "Woah, I never realized Charizard had so many options!" I simply love taking characters that people think suck, and mauling them with that character! Charizard just feels so solid to play, and has so much potential hidden to the average player, making him a joy to play.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Tbh, i feel like most of the "bad characters" in this game are labeled that almost exclusively because they arent that good at dealing with the S tiers or a couple of A's. To me that doesnt justify them as terrible, its when they struggle against just about everyone when they should be labeled as terrible.

Charizard isnt bad. He has some obvious flaws but he has a ton of unexpected strengths. I've always been the type to avoid the "flavor" in any game just because i dont get any fun from steamrolling because what im using is overpowered (either in simplicity or strength). The more i use Zard the more i realize hes undervalued. Im actually rating him better than DK now, and prior to tinkering with him i would have never thought that because every Zard you come across just doesnt have the faintest idea how to use him properly (flare blitz right off the start.....facepalm)

Top Bottom