• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A major problem with making an indie-standalone fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
I was just pondering how, if the PM team were really going to do it, they'd create a stand-alone fighter. Particularly, what platform could they host it on to ensure the speed and responsiveness we love about PM?

Like, they really can't go the Rivals of Aether route and create an online game on steam. For competitive play, I don't imagine people would want to put up with network lag... there's a reason people own portable CRTs to bring to tournaments.

But if they don't go that route, would it be possible for a small team with little funds to get a dev kit for a major console? And I have the impression that there are other hurdles to releasing a game on a major console other than development costs. But maybe I'm wrong?

I wonder how Wavedash games is planning on tackling this.

fsck!

Smash Cadet
It's pretty cheap to be an Xbox developer. You even get two dev kits for free if you're sweg enough.

Edit: Re-worded to make more sense

Last edited:

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I was just pondering how, if the PM team were really going to do it, they'd create a stand-alone fighter. Particularly, what platform could they host it on to ensure the speed and responsiveness we love about PM?

Like, they really can't go the Rivals of Aether route and create an online game on steam. For competitive play, I don't imagine people would want to put up with network lag... there's a reason people own portable CRTs to bring to tournaments.

But if they don't go that route, would it be possible for a small team with little funds to get a dev kit for a major console? And I have the impression that there are other hurdles to releasing a game on a major console other than development costs. But maybe I'm wrong?

I wonder how Wavedash games is planning on tackling this.
Why couldn't they create an online game on Steam? I would say it is the best option: the cheapest way for developers, the cheapest one for gamers too, free Internet connection, best online stability, compatible with any kind of pad... I've been playing many competitive games in PC for ages and I still believe it's the best option. If they optimize it as good as Blizzard games are, it would be a massive success.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Thread is not related to Project M, sorry, gonna close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom