• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Link Matchup guide(unfinished).

D

Deleted member

Yoshi vs. Link:

*Please note that I am a complete noob, that plays many links and feels like sharing his experience with you and your mother. Most of this info may be false. Please help me improve this misleading guide. Thank you*

1.Pros and Cons
2.Key points
2.Effective moves
3.Edgegame

Pros and Cons:

Link:
Slow dash
Slow WD
Slow attacks and many with lots of lag, making them practically unusable
Short DD
Powerful
Great SHFFL
Projectile spam
Massive grab range
Nice combos
Heavy
Good recovery
Up b w/ semi-spike
He has teh big earz!

Yoshi:
Quick
Good WD
Heavier
Easily edge guarded
Link’s projectiles diminish eggs’ usefulness
DJC
Maneuverable in the air and on the ground
Nice aerials, especially against link

Key points:
Use Yoshi’s maneuverability on land and in the air to gracefully dodge attacks, and close the distance between spammy links, and then don’t let link escape, and beat him till he drops (off the ledge).

DJCed aerials are always useful, but their speed is especially useful here.

Effective moves (moves to watch out for, and to use):

Link:

Nair: Very dangerous, this will be their main SHFFLd move, and for a good cause. It deals good damage, comes out quick, and has good priority.

Arrows: Mostly used in midair, uncharged, they will catch u by surprise and break your combos. Not much u can do to avoid them, just try not to get lured into being hit by one.

Fair: Also dangerous, but this one has some big start up lag, so take advantage of it. This has a disjointed hitbox, so be careful. U won’t see it too much, but when u do, be ready and take advantage of its start-up lag. Watch out for ledgehopped fairs.

Boomerang: I hate this thing! Expect it to be out most of the game. The main annoyance it the angles which they can throw it at, and that fact that it comes back to hit u again. It breaks your eggs too. I’ll go into boomerangs more later on.

Bombs: Like the boomerang, except doesn’t come from behind, and explosive...and sets up for combos...and can be dropped from to air to annoy you...and other things which I will go into later.

Up air and down air: Both good moves. Uair is fairly quick, and it deals a lot of damage. It is also a nice kill move. Dair is mostly for killing, but its easy to dodge, and will likely only hit after a grab.

Fsmash: A good kill move, it actually comes out fairly fast. Not much else to say.

Errr I think that’s all.

Now Yoshi is no slouch, and these moves will help u w/ this matchup:

Nair: Of course, the nair. DJC or RDJC for best results.
Dair: Is fairly easy to get in a lot of hits on link.
Bair: Works pretty well. I like the multiple hits against link.
Jab: Cancels out boomerangs. Doesn’t beat Link’s grab though :-(
Dtilt: Good against aggressive, non-campy links. Gives u some distance.
Fsmash: Good ‘ol noggin floggin. Use it; abuse it, but not too much.
Dsmash: YES! The Dsmash is wonderful against link. Comes out really fast, which is great when fighting link, and deals good damage. If they try to fsmash or ftilt, spotdodge to dsmash.
Eggs: Eggs are always good, but their power is lessened against link. He can break it with jabs, or he can simply aim his boomerang at your egg and break it. Still, ECE is very handy as it allows u to avoid Link’s projectile spam.

Ok that’s all for this part.

Edgegame: This is where I talk about recovery, edgeguarding, and…that’s it.

Recovery:

Link:
Decent Up b range
Can use the hookshot to grab the edge from far away, including sweetspot. Can use boomerangs and arrows to ward of any potential edgeguarders, including Yoshi.
All right when recovering against link, be sure to mix it up. Its quite hard, because his Up b can spike, his dtilt spikes, and his bombs and boomerangs can break your DJ. If the link knows how to fight a Yoshi, they will be able to gimp u easily. Even if u try to ECE to stop their edgeguard, they can let it hit their auto shield, then dtilt. Remember, against link, recovering high=good. U don’t want to go high all the time, but do it most of the time, because it helps avoid some of link’s edgeguards.

Edgeguarding:

Link has good recovery, including grappling edges, and bomb jumping. The key is to get him off balance. He may try and sweetspot, so hit him with an egg, screwing up his sweetspot attempts. I wouldn’t go out to hit him, especially if he has a bomb in his hands. I actually need some help on edgeguarding link, but I pretty much just use eggs and sometimes RECE.

Coming soon…whatever I feel like.

I worked on this for a while, but its probably wrong. I have quite a bit of link experience, so i think i know what im talking about.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say. :D So er, thanks?

I don't have much experience fighting against Links (virtually zero), but I do play as Link, and he used to be my main.

Things I would say you should keep in mind:

- Link can't grab if you're even remotely in the air (not technically true, but for all intents and purposes, if you're in the air, you won't be grabbed). If Link misses a grab, he'll be vulnerable, but less than you might think. Don't go for a f-air unless you were already doing one anyway.

- Link's u-tilt is very good for combos. I would imagine that against Yoshi Link would probably only get one u-air before Yoshi double jumps, but be careful coming down: Link's n-air is very gimpy and has insane priority.

- Link's d-smash is very fast, and also leads into combos well. I don't remember, but I think it's almost as fast coming out as Yoshi's d-smash?

- Once you hit %'s past about 50%, beware the up-B. It has great knockback and is pretty good in the way of range, so just be wary of a potential up-B at higher %'s. Oh, and I would imagine the knockback is great enough that it could cancel your double jump at pretty low %'s.

That's all I have for now, looks good though. ^^

D

Deleted member

K ty. Ur rright, dsmash does come out rather fast. K he cant grab u in the air *jots down notes* Yea, upb is really annoying.

D

Deleted member

Rename the thread to something sensible please.

*Will read and comment after my assignments are in*
UMmm how do u edit titles. I was going to but, i cant find out how to edit it.

Edit, nvm found it :p

Top Bottom