• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A hate the Fox matchup

Aurum

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nacho_Calibre
3DS FC
0791-2795-2968
Okay, so I play Smash with a couple of friends, go to local tourneys every once and a while, etc. I have a friend who plays Fox and the only tech skill he knows is to shine spike and jump out of shine. He literally uses the shine spike EVERY TIMe to kill me. How do I counter it? Please help!

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You are asking about the most complex matchup in the entire game. (Edit: as far as Ganon is concerned).

Do some reading, watch a few videos (linguini/kage/bizz/eikelmann on youtube, and look at twitch.tv/vsgc melee tournaments for spider_sense and tipman), and keep questions at least a little more situation-specific.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
You shouldn't be getting shine spiked every time if you're recovering properly. Even a good fox should have to work for that edgeguard with other moves like bair. The secret to coming back with Ganon is a combination of tricking your opponent and/or coming back enough times to increase your chances of their inconsistency messing up the edgeguard.

You are asking about the most complex matchup in the entire game.

Do some reading, watch a few videos (linguini/kage/bizz/eikelmann on youtube, and look at twitch.tv/vsgc melee tournaments for spider_sense and tipman), and keep questions at least a little more situation-specific.
Do you really think that? I'm curious about your reasoning on this.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For Ganon LOL. It's the sheer amount of Fox's options, which is partially a byproduct of his speed (and more importantly his "agility") as well as his effective moveset.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Because he is not the only character with high speed in many situations. Fox is not only horizontally agile because of his dd/run speed, but vertically also since he has the fastest jumps and fastest fall acceleration in the game. It just gives Ganon even less time to react generally speaking.

Edit: I guess I quoted it since it isn't spoken of much.

Last edited:

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
IMO, differentiate the timing of your fast-fall from off the stage to read how far the fox drops to shine-spike. Often just fast-falling by the ledge to an upB is a good counter to Foxes you should expect to shine-spike you.

Top Bottom