• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A hacker broke into an Indiana baby monitor & played "Every Breath You Take"

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
This is a thing now. :urg:

A hacker broke into an Indiana baby monitor & played "Every Breath You Take," followed by "sexual noises."

Nine baby monitor models hacked by security researchers | Fusion

"Over the last few years, hackers have set their targets on Internet-connected baby monitors. They have hacked into baby monitors to scream at toddlers, to curse out their parents, and to turn them into spy cams. Earlier this year, a hacker put live feeds from a thousand baby monitors onto a site titled, “Big Brother is Watching You.” Just last week, an Indiana couple was freaked out by someone hacking into their 2-year-old’s baby monitor to play the Police’s “Every Breath You Take,” followed by “sexual noises.”

With all these intrusions in the rear view mirror, you’d think the baby monitor business would be kicking security into high gear, putting the digital equivalent of baby gates everywhere to keep hackers out. But when a security firm tested nine Internet-connected baby monitors, including some of the most widely-available models, it found problems with every single one, flaws that would allow creepy strangers to drop into nurseries digitally."

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, clearly there's nothing hackers can't get into nowadays, but why baby monitors? And who's the idiot that thought a internet-connected baby monitor was a necessary thing? I've never used one, but this further solidifies my decision to never get one.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
...Uh...

*throws away all forms of contact*

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I've always thought that baby monitors were stupid, especially when people continue to use them past the time when their kids are babies. Like, there are teenagers that still have them in their room. That is creepy. I wouldn't even want my parents to have that kind of surveillance.

FairyGardens435

Smash Cadet
NNID
FAIRYWARS98
3DS FC
2810-1101-1258
I've always thought that baby monitors were stupid, especially when people continue to use them past the time when their kids are babies. Like, there are teenagers that still have them in their room. That is creepy. I wouldn't even want my parents to have that kind of surveillance.
Unless the teen's behavior is bad enough to require that they need to have a baby monitor or a "nanny cam" in their room (or worse, monitor the whole house) at all times, there is absolutely no need for one.

What's scary is that most nanny cams made today are made to appear like a everyday item, such as a stuffed animal or a pencil case. Hackers can take advantage of that and decide to record the room without you even knowing.

Top Bottom