• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to Shulk - This is the Monado's Power!

A Guide to Shulk - This is the Monado's Power!

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
NintendoPSX submitted a new guide:

A Guide to Shulk - This is the Monado's Power! - An detailed explanation of Shulk and his moves.

:4shulk: is a tricky little character mainly because he's one of the most unique characters in Super Smash Bros. Due to his Monado blade. Some would say to use the Monado Arts as many times as possible, some say Vanilla Shulk is best Shulk, some only change modes when needed, Shulk is a character with such variety to his attribute that it's near impossible to say what mode you should be at during a given time. Let's try to alleviate that by giving a semi-detailed analysis of the...
Read more about this guide...

Hamilton9669

Smash Rookie
I left you a review, and I would like to get your opinion on the info I prvoided for you.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Edits have been made to include Monado Art times and grabs/throws have been added. Some minor grammatical errors have been covered.

Just gonna add but Air slash is a KO move

As long as you're not predictable with it. Like, use it against an aerial attack because air slash's range is nuts

Fyrus

Smash Rookie
Nothing about Advanced Vision ? (Holding forward while countering)

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
@ F Fyrus @ Berserker. Berserker. I will be looking into more advanced tech's unique to Shulk later on, for now the guide is more for a basic-intermediate level understanding of him in a general sense.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Just gonna add this
If you get launched far off, it's GG because more than likely you'll still be in Shield mode and too heavy to recover to the stage.
Monado Shield and Monado Jump can be Combo'd essentially.

Step 1: Opponent knocks you off-stage in Shield
Step 2: You press B rapidly 3x (Twice to cancel, once to enter Jump) or 4x at a less rapid pace (thrice to cancel, once to enter Jump)
Step 3: Wait for Jump to activate.
Step 4. Recover.

Even if Jump is down you can always cancel your monado art by pressing 2x rapidly or 3x at a less rapid pace, which means you don't have to worry about the resistance from Monado Shield as you just cancel it and recover in Vanilla or whatever art you so please.

This coloring business is bloody tiring how the hell does Mason do it.

Last edited:

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
Nothing about Advanced Vision ? (Holding forward while countering)
I figured out how Advanced Vision works, so he can edit it into his guide. You are only half right. Advanced Vision is a ground-only Vision that does less damage but has more knockback, and you can perform it by tilting the circle pad in the direction that you're being attacked from. Shulk can use Advanced Vision if he gets attacked from behind as long as the player tilts the circle pad in whichever direction is backwards.

I've tested it, and I can use Advanced Vision consistently, but it can only be used on the ground.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I figured out how Advanced Vision works, so he can edit it into his guide. You are only half right. Advanced Vision is a ground-only Vision that does less damage but has more knockback, and you can perform it by tilting the circle pad in the direction that you're being attacked from. Shulk can use Advanced Vision if he gets attacked from behind as long as the player tilts the circle pad in whichever direction is backwards.

I've tested it, and I can use Advanced Vision consistently, but it can only be used on the ground.
Will definitely add this when I find the time! Thanks for testing!

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
No problem! ^^ If I find that my replays have me using Advanced Vision when attacked from behind, then I will link you to it and show you if you're still a little skeptical. Do you know the knockback multiplier for Advanced Vision. I read the guide, but I forgot if you had it listed.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
As a small note, the third hit of the down smash is the weakest, BUT it has slightly increased range vs the first two hits.

D

Deleted member 269706

As someone who has a growing interest in Shulk, I find that this will be extremely helpful. Many thanks friend!

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
No problem! ^^ If I find that my replays have me using Advanced Vision when attacked from behind, then I will link you to it and show you if you're still a little skeptical. Do you know the knockback multiplier for Advanced Vision. I read the guide, but I forgot if you had it listed.
I don't have any knockback calculation for Advanced Vision due to the fact I'm still learning up on it.

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
I don't have any knockback calculation for Advanced Vision due to the fact I'm still learning up on it.
I was told it has a 2.5 knockback multiplier, but it deals less damage than regular Vision. I can say that I kill with Advanced Vision far more frequently, so I'm pretty sure that's accurate. I'll be uploading some Shulk replays in just a little bit too, in case you're interested in watching. I need somebody who really knows Shulk to critique how well I did.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
I was told it has a 2.5 knockback multiplier, but it deals less damage than regular Vision. I can say that I kill with Advanced Vision far more frequently, so I'm pretty sure that's accurate. I'll be uploading some Shulk replays in just a little bit too, in case you're interested in watching. I need somebody who really knows Shulk to critique how well I did.
Haha well I won't say I "really know" Shulk even if I did write this Guide. (Weird I know) but I'd be glad to look at some to help improve the guide for everyone else~

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom