• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few quick Q's

LD50L042

Smash Rookie
New to the character and I have a few questions for those willing to help.
  1. When recovering, is it ok to just double jump through attacks so long as you aren't getting punished?
  2. How do I parry and is it practical?
  3. Is there an easier way to get out of tumble? (No double jump but I need to air dodge to recover.)
  4. Is doing really low DJC aerials bad? (Should I keep them a certain height?)
  5. Are retreating DJC Nairs possible?
I know some of this is probably common knowledge or documented in a thread or video somewhere but posting a thread seems easier. Thanks in advance.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
1. There's a small window at low %'s for most characters where you shouldn't nair or anything after getting hit while double jumping. If the opponent's got good reaction speed, they can cc the nair and grab. At mid %'s, you should wait for them to hit your dj and then nair. If you nair first they can just hit you out of it with a nair of their own.
2. Parrying is essentially getting invul frames from tapping l or r, but without shielding. You'll know when you parry because there won't be any shell fragments from the shield after letting go of l or r
3. Bair and nair both have 39 frames total, the two least of yoshi's aerials. use either of these aerials to get out of tumble and put out a hitbox just in case they try and gimp you
4. low djc are usually optimal because really high ones just waste frames between hitting them with the nair and landing
5. Yes, but the timing is strict and you only fade back a tiny amount, its not worth investing much time into

Feel free to correct me if any of the above are wrong :)

moofinmoofin

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0662-4288-9992
1. There's a small window at low %'s for most characters where you shouldn't nair or anything after getting hit while double jumping. If the opponent's got good reaction speed, they can cc the nair and grab. At mid %'s, you should wait for them to hit your dj and then nair. If you nair first they can just hit you out of it with a nair of their own.
2. Parrying is essentially getting invul frames from tapping l or r, but without shielding. You'll know when you parry because there won't be any shell fragments from the shield after letting go of l or r
3. Bair and nair both have 39 frames total, the two least of yoshi's aerials. use either of these aerials to get out of tumble and put out a hitbox just in case they try and gimp you
4. low djc are usually optimal because really high ones just waste frames between hitting them with the nair and landing

5. Yes, but the timing is strict and you only fade back a tiny amount, its not worth investing much time into

Feel free to correct me if any of the above are wrong :)
For 1, generally also, if double jumping is something that can reset a bad situation, do it. Yoshi is all about control, and if tanking a hit means taking your "turn" on the offensive sooner, by all means.

For 2, parrying is useful and the better you are the quicker you can get back to taking your "turn" on the offensive.

3 and 4 I agree with a lot, though going high has a lot of benefits as nair hits deceptively low underneat Yoshi.
For question 5, to add:

Nairs are great at crossing up, as our DJ changes our aerial direction and facing.
If you feel the need to fade back, just do a reverse of direction and then do a late DJC to hit them with your ass-hitbox of your nair, or a standard low DJC bair.

Top Bottom