• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions

4 Aces

Smash Ace
A few questions:

I've heard sometimes on the message boards about how using the hookshot in the air can lead to some very good comboes. Is this true? If so, will someone give me a few comboes and strategies?

When you upb near a ledge, you'll sometimes spin off and onto the ledge. Would this be a good edgeguarding tool, and a good way to grab the ledge? Also, how do you do it by just standing there right at the edge of the platform? It has only happened when I get slightly pushed off or when I do a running upb (like Sheik).

Whenever I do a fair, it seems like I'm doing foward-A too fast or I'm fast falling too slow, because the hitbox goes over the enemy's head. My goal is to be able to shffl a fair very close to the opponent and have it actually hit the target. I'm a little more consistent, when I shffl a little further away. One last thing, is the timing for the l-cancel of the fair much slower when you hit a target? Cause I always miss it when I hit someone.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
A few questions:

I've heard sometimes on the message boards about how using the hookshot in the air can lead to some very good comboes. Is this true? If so, will someone give me a few comboes and strategies?

I think some people say it can be used as a mindgame, like shffling it. I don't think it can lead to combos, becaus it has terrible landing lag.

When you upb near a ledge, you'll sometimes spin off and onto the ledge. Would this be a good edgeguarding tool, and a good way to grab the ledge? Also, how do you do it by just standing there right at the edge of the platform? It has only happened when I get slightly pushed off or when I do a running upb (like Sheik).

It's one of the fastest ways to grab the ledge while running to the ledge and you're not facing it, and if you time it right you may hit your opponent, so I'd say it's a pretty good edgeguard. You have to be running, or have an opponent/ally push you off the ledge to do it, you can't do it yourself while standing.

Whenever I do a fair, it seems like I'm doing foward-A too fast or I'm fast falling too slow, because the hitbox goes over the enemy's head. My goal is to be able to shffl a fair very close to the opponent and have it actually hit the target. I'm a little more consistent, when I shffl a little further away. One last thing, is the timing for the l-cancel of the fair much slower when you hit a target? Cause I always miss it when I hit someone.

Try fast falling it. That's what helped me. Just short hop and wait a little longer than for something like a nair, then start the fair and fast fall. It does help to come from farther away, so you are attacking the opponent as soon as your priority is in range.

I'm pretty sure the l-cancel is the same. Just practice.
My responses are in there. D:

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Thanks. =) Do you emphasize running? Like you can't do in a dash right? Are you sure about having to be pushed off? Cause I sometimes see in 00:06 demonstrations and Perfect Control vids that you can.

Top Bottom