• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few questions about playing online

Tushy

Smash Rookie
So I just recently started playing Project M on my Wii, and want to start playing with people online. Although, I have some issues/confusion about online play. If someone could answer a few questions for me that would be great.

1.) Is it possible to play Project M online with a Wii?

I've seen a few videos on YouTube about this, and it was all confusing. I get that you need to use a wifi-safe set, but then I don't understand the stuff about how servers are discontinued and what not. And then there was something about a different launcher and...I'm not really sure.

2.) Is playing online with a PC worse than on Wii and are the controls as fluent?

I haven't tried setting up Project M on PC, so I have no idea how well it works. If it happens to be that the Wii to PC port is bad, I'll assume that online is just pure garbage. I'm just concerned that a PC version will just be somewhat delayed, and not optimized very well for using a GameCube controller. My PC should be more than capable of handling it, and my internet is good enough to handle playing games online and hosting servers, but I'm just afraid that it will be bad regardless of my computer or internet strength.

3.) For playing on PC, you need an ISO, is there anyway I can obtain that with my own physical copy?

I have a Wii, and my own copy of Brawl. Is it possible to get the ISO without... "stealing" it? I just want to do it legally, and I'm not 100% sure how to go about doing that without destroying my disk, or doing it at all for that matter. If it's against the rules do discuss this here, just tell me, I'll ask around somewhere else.

4.) Does anybody really use online/Is there an active online community?

It would be great to set up and all, and would help me improve my skill immensely, but I don't want to go through the trouble only to find out that nobody really uses the function. I'm still new to the Smash community as a whole, so if this question seems rather stupid, sorry in advance.
If you can help by answering any of these questions, even just one of them, I would be very grateful. And I'm others could benefit from the help.

Thank-you in advance.

-Tushy

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
1. Yes, this is possible thanks to Wiimmfi's server. To play online, install the wi-fi safe version, and select "Play Online" from the main menu.

2. Assuming your PC is powerful enough to run the game at full speed, the experience should be identical to playing on the Wii. If you have a GameCube controller USB adapter, you can even use your GC controller on your PC, so there are no issues with controls.

3. You need to have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii first. Use this app: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip

4. For Wii online play, see this thread to exchange friend codes with other players ("with anyone" doesn't work for PM). For PC netplay, you may wish to visit Anther's Ladder.

Tushy

Smash Rookie
1. Yes, this is possible thanks to Wiimmfi's server. To play online, install the wi-fi safe version, and select "Play Online" from the main menu.

2. Assuming your PC is powerful enough to run the game at full speed, the experience should be identical to playing on the Wii. If you have a GameCube controller USB adapter, you can even use your GC controller on your PC, so there are no issues with controls.

3. You need to have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii first. Use this app: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip

4. For Wii online play, see this thread to exchange friend codes with other players ("with anyone" doesn't work for PM). For PC netplay, you may wish to visit Anther's Ladder.
Thank you for being so quick to respond! One quick thing though, does it matter witch wifi-safe version I use? And does it matter what version my friend/opponent uses? Again, thank-you for the help.

Y-L

Smash Champion
1. Yes. Just get the Wifi Safe set.

2. You need a good PC, but otherwise it is completely accurate to Wii. Just grab the mayflash 4 port adapter. Netplay (on PC) actually has considerably less latency than on Wifi since it's peer to peer instead of through a server.

3. As stated above, use cleanrip to grab your iso off your disk.

4. Smashladder.com

Top Bottom