• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A few Fox questions...

S P O N G E

Smash Cadet
I just picked up Fox and was wondering a few questions.

1) What stages are good for Fox/ bad for Fox.

2) What matchups are bad for Fox, if any.

3) What is the best approach vs a character who has a long range, eg. Marth or Link.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
1) super huge stages are meh for fox
2) wat? You mean bad MU? Uh...Zelda is one of the few. I think falco, and few others MIGHT be bad. He does have some challenging MU that aren't bad but I would say you have to at said MU right or you'll get booped. Like against mario or anyone with a lengthy cg on you.
3)bait them, laser camp, nair shine etc watch melee fox players play to figure that out

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
I just picked up Fox and was wondering a few questions.

1) What stages are good for Fox/ bad for Fox.

2) What matchups are bad for Fox, if any.

3) What is the best approach vs a character who has a long range, eg. Marth or Link.
1)Bad stages:GHZ,Metal Cavern,FOD i guess, and Lyalt Cruise now that's probably the worst of them all.

2)Fox dosnt really have a bad Match up and its definitely not Zelda lol.

3)Just try to get in with attacks and use your movement or you can just laser camp. Make sure to go on youtube and type Fox vs marth or Fox vs Link.

Jake The Preacher

The Amateur Preacher
Poke Nairs to get in, always make sure you have follow ups to them. Or the classic laser camping always works, as I said make sure you have follow ups for when they come in at you

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
1)Bad stages:GHZ,Metal Cavern,FOD i guess, and Lyalt Cruise now that's probably the worst of them all.

2)Fox dosnt really have a bad Match up and its definitely not Zelda lol.

3)Just try to get in with attacks and use your movement or you can just laser camp. Make sure to go on youtube and type Fox vs marth or Fox vs Link.
1) GHZ and FoD are fine for Fox. The only people he wouldn't want to end up on MC against would be characters with strong recoveries and bigger characters that own the stage, like Bowser, DK, or Dedede. Dedede also has the amazing recovery, so that's double bad, but he's kinda bad so it probably all evens out. Lylat cruise is only bad on account of the ledges, which just make it more difficult, not necessarily worse. His only other "bad" (or "meh" stage as he can function anywhere) is Dreamland.

2) I would agree he doesn't have trouble with Zelda, it's just a pain in the ass. I went to check the Fox matchup spreads for Melee's top tier characters, but the guide didn't have ratios for me to just look at. I know he has a little trouble with Falco, and possibly Marth. Main thing is that any character can punish Fox really hard if he leaves himself open, so you have to be extremely careful against basically everyone.

3) This is good advice. If you don't mind playing lame, just laser camp and force them to come to you, which in the case of Link or Samus, as examples, will already put them in a bad position since they're not built to approach.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
Zelda is definitely a bad matchup for Fox. A a good Zelda will chaingrab you and tech chase you on platforms and finish with a fair/bair which can kill when the chaingrab ends.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
Zelda is definitely a bad matchup for Fox. A a good Zelda will chaingrab you and tech chase you on platforms and finish with a fair/bair which can kill when the chaingrab ends.
A good ______ will _______ Fox. Most characters can either chain grab him or easily combo fast fallers. Nothing special.

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
A good ______ will _______ Fox. Most characters can either chain grab him or easily combo fast fallers. Nothing special.

But she has tools for everything else against Fox. Can avoid uthrow up air, neutral b stops pressure. Usmash oos stops pressure and comes out extremely fast.

Top Bottom