• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

a couple mario strats

Moof

Smash Rookie
well first off im sorry if this stuff has been said before but im saying it now

the first strategy id like to talk about is running/wding to your enemy then uair when you get close if this fails to hit follow with a bair...

second off mario can let go of a ledge and wall jump it with out using his second jump a use of this would be to wall jump off the ledge then follow with a rising fire ball then go to the stage and dominate them...

once again sorry if this has already been said, comments?

j3ly

Smash Champion
the technique you are referring to is called the doraki wall jump. from hangin, press back, and wait till the last possible moment to jump and re-grab. hold towards the stage while jumping back up

then from a hanging position, hit backwards. it must take no longer than 1 frame for the control stick to go from neutral -> away, and then mario jumps without using his 2nd jump

fireball idea is good - doraki jump -> reverse fireball (from the initial walljump?) -> maybe come on stage with dair /w the 2nd jump? i would think that the dair would auto cancel, good idea for getting onto the stage thanks for the input/idea! keep postin >__<

edit: i made a video to illustrate the idea, this is what you were going for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfPT3eOnzIc

vids lagging really bad. should hopefully fix itself in a bit

Moof

Smash Rookie
yeah i figured its been discovered the main idea was to reverse rising fire ball probably would require some fast fingers

j3ly

Smash Champion
its ok, the timing and finger movements are exactly the same as reverse laser with falco. the only limitation being if you miss the walljump, mario drops to his doom and shoots a useless fireball :(

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
We Mario's should be more unpredictable. Like in The Cape's combo video (Mario ***), Cape does a rising tornado over a recovering Fox and prevents him from recovering. It does take guts to be amazing, after all.

Moof

Smash Rookie
i was messing around with the doraki wall jump and you can mix up your recovery with that a lot

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
i was messing around with the doraki wall jump and you can mix up your recovery with that a lot
Note that you can only DWJ only if you've already touched the ledge.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
dude I have been doing the "Doraki" wall jump for so long that I change the way I do it. The way I do it with mario is a simply hit back + B and he wall jumps if you do it right

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
dude I have been doing the "Doraki" wall jump for so long that I change the way I do it. The way I do it with mario is a simply hit back + B and he wall jumps if you do it right
The accidental cape is a concern though. You either would safely cape off and do something from there...

...or get hit by the opportunity that stalling presents.

Been playing with Blawl hacks lately (B-) but I'll try this when I play Melee. ...Like tomorrow or something :D

...Melee too good.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
since this is mario strats, would up+b OOS work in shield pressure? I figure it works like samus' up+b. but would work best with a platform above you obviously

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
since this is mario strats, would up+b OOS work in shield pressure? I figure it works like samus' up+b. but would work best with a platform above you obviously
This was a really effective maneuver in Corneria as you'd sweetspot the fin afterwards. Now, I think the best option is Dsmash.

Dsmash is so fast and good that it rival's Peach's :D

j3ly

Smash Champion
upB oos is really good ooS in sticky situations
its also a good defence against the ken combo
and falcos spike, among others. cos its fast and gives invincibility frames

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
hmmmm sounds like corneria could be a counterpick =P

also an idea for a combo is dair > usmash OR utilt > rising tornado

only done it on a computer so no clue about DI but gimme feedback!

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
hmmm sounds like corneria could be a counterpick =P
Yeah, but lately Corneria has been a banned stage (and it usually stays that way unless it's a big tourney like Pound 4). You could still go for the Up-B OOS like say, Battlefield or DL64, but yeah, I personally would go for the Dsmash for almost everything :p

Jab-Dsmash
SHFFLANA-Dsmash
SHFFLADA-Dsmash
WD-Dsmash
Wavelanded Fireball-Dsmash
SHABAWD-Dsmash
(On spacies)Dsmash-Dsmash

j3ly

Smash Champion
ooS recently ive been Wd -> utilt. its very unexpected and utilt is goldddddd for mario.

dsmash is good cos it comes out in 5 frames, that ridiculously fast!!

different chars who can pressure your shield with spacing

fox
nair -> shine -> nair angle shield upwards and maybe try grab, otherwise roll out if they do late nair -> shine -> quick nair, or WD oos if they like late nair -> shine late nair.

marth
fair -> dtilt -> IASA jab this is a biatch, dont roll behind marth if you are both on the ground... and you will probably be cornered when bein pressured by this. u cant touch him cos of spacing, so WD oos is best outta poor bunch. upB ooS works really well here tho but CAREFUL cos marth punishes the best

falco PILLAH
angle shield upwards, otherwise buffer roll.

falcon
nair/anything -> jab learn to CC the jab, its always comming, and means nothing if CC'd. Its wierd comming outta shield str8 into a CC but once muscle memory is down he should have to revert to aerial -> buffer roll/DD camping instead, which is better than bein pressured with jabs.

samus
spaced jab - WD oos, if cornered, try upB or CC. she can most definatly space jabs against shield, its annoying. Also she may try to break a bomb on your shield and then do an instant one above you - if you cant roll away from this try to WD ooS and dont angle the shield towards the bomb cos she will dsmash.

If none of these are the situation then likely they misspaced, in which case uair (if you can combo oos) or nair oos is the best option. but obviously grab if possilble. its best to FH nair oos for 2 reasons:

- its as quick as SH nair in the speed it comes out in, and you can WL after it which would be confusing as hell to the opponent.

- if you are under a platform you could either autocancel it, or l-cancel onto teh platform and fall through with another/uair (autocancel) if they didnt get sent very far by the nair

so in response, upB ooS is a good option alot of the time - especially as you can reverse upB oos. this puts space inbetween you and sends them the other way.
unfortunaly people are good at adapting and mario tends to get cornered against long ranged opponents, so you need to know all the options well enough to not choke under pressure and be able to switch between them effortlessly

one more thing before i go out and destroy my braia auto cancels are the secret to making mario fast vertically, and to a lesser extent horizontally but certainly both. learn every auto cancel, every stage, every move that comes out fast (utilt is god and jab is ok) and its important to be able to isai drop. i reccomend falco on battlefield to learn that

j3ly 4 pres

Top Bottom