• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Compilation of Advanced Mario Techniques

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone, this is my first post on Smashboards and quite an ambitious post at that! But I did my part, I lurked for a while and read the rules, so this will hopefully not become one of the several locked "noob" threads. I happened to notice while we have Mario AT discovery thread and several individual AT threads, there is unfortunately no compilation of it all like in the Sheik forums.

I decided to take it upon myself to compile some of the ATs that I found online and some that I was probably not the first to have discovered. I will update this compilation as time goes on, since I will probably miss some techniques.

Smash Techniques

Hyphen Up-Smash/ Running Up-Smash
Usefulness: 3/5

A technique that is done by running and then immediately charging, then using an Up-Smash. This allows you to slide forward a little bit while using a smash attack. Not as good as DACUS, but whatever...

Side Smash Angling
Usefulness: 4/5

After starting the charging animation for the side smash. You can angle the attack normally, up or down. The up angle and the down angle have stronger kill potential than normal. The down angle can be used to poke people off ledges.

B Special Move Advanced Techniques

F.L.U.D.D. Techniques

High Pressure F.L.U.D.D. Recovery
Usefulness: 2/5

In order to use this technique you must have a fully charged High Pressure F.L.U.D.D. and have your back facing the stage. ONLY USE THIS IN THE UPPER PARTS OF THE BLAST ZONE! If you use this somewhere in the middle or the lower part of the blast zone you will probably kill yourself! Horizontal Recovery is quite nice though!

F.L.U.D.D. Angling

You can angle the water shot by the F.L.U.D.D. with the joystick either Up or Down. This pretty much saves the F.L.U.D.D.
from mediocrity.

F.L.U.D.D. Canceling
Usefulness: 5/5

You can tap the joystick left or right while charging the F.L.U.D.D. to dodge in that respective direction and stop charging. You can also cancel the F.L.U.D.D. mid-air using an air dodge and from there you can use the B Special or aerial of your choice to punish foes that try to get you.

Super Jump Punch Techniques

Psyche-out recovery

To do this technique you have to grab a ledge, drop down a bit and immediately use Up-B. Very good for edge guarders that tend to stay too near for their own good.The only reason this technique is rated lower is, you can't use it too frequently without it being predicted and punished.

Extended Horizontal Recovery

In order to do this technique you must use your Up-B and push your Joystick sideways in the direction you want to go. This makes Mario get a little more horizontal distance by controlled falling.

Cape Techniques

Cape Sliding

In order to perform this technique you must use the cape when Mario puts his right foot down for the first time in his dash (The start of the running animation). You actually slide forward a bit while using the cape making it an interesting approach option against projectile spammers.

Cape Edge Grab
Usefulness: 1/5

Use the cape on the very tip of the ledge to instantly grab the ledge. I guess it's nice to help get off a quick Back Air.... maybe....

Cape Stalling

Use your cape while descending to slow down your momentum and confuse would-be jugglers. If they have a good air game this might not save you though....

Aerial Tricks

F-Air Meteor-Runoff

Against low recovering opponents run off the edge and use your F-air. If you can connect the blow it can spike your opponent. Be sure to B-Reverse your Up-B to recover properly afterwards.

Tilts

F-Tilt angling

You can angle your forward tilt by gently inputting up or down after a side tilt. This can be used to poke through weakened shields, in an exposed area!

General Techniques

Run-to-shield

You simply dash (the start-up animation of the run) and immediately shield. You actually slide quite a bit and the timing is pretty generous. You can combine this with cape sliding for a VERY safe approach.

Shield Grab

Simply hold up your shield and press the grab button when your opponent is within range. Very useful if the opponent is foolish enough to run directly into you. Just be careful you don't get grabbed instead!

B-Reverses and Wave Bounces

If I write the instructions to do this I'm going to get carpal tunnel. Look it up on youtube!

Pivot S-Tilt and Smash

You simply run and then quickly turn around and either put in the input for a Side Tilt or Smash depending on the situation you're in. Fun for catching falling opponents!

Short Hop Aerials

You very briefly press the jump button (I DO NOT RECOMMEND TAP JUMP FOR THIS). Use any of your aerials you want, but probably not a F-Air it's too laggy. You can also turn yourself around to hit them with a B-Air. Also all of your aerials CAN cancel once you hit the ground, but that doesn't help much...

Conclusion

Thanks guys for your time and I hope you learned something! Some of these names are probably not the official ones, so just tell me the proper terms and I'll fix them. If you know of any techniques I haven't covered (like ones involving fireballs) please let me know! And again thanks for everything!

Edit: Got rid of Cape Canceling didn't realize it was pre 1.04, since it was not listed in community patch notes. Edited Forward Smash Angling as well as a better description for the running Up-Smash. I also changed old F.L.U.D.D. to the new High Pressure F.L.U.D.D. Recovery. I decided to keep the general basic techniques since Mario benefits a lot from them. Also, I didn't feel that the F.L.U.D.D. Techniques were well enough known about, at least for newer players. I will add Fireball slide later once I figure it out.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
@ Heart of Ice Heart of Ice

Hey there, and welcome to the Mario boards. For your first post, this is good. There are some things to say about it though.

Smash Techniques

Hyphen Up-Smash/ Running Up-Smash

A technique that is done by running and then immediately using an Up-Smash. This allows you to slide forward a little bit while using a smash attack. Not as good as DACUS, but whatever...

Side Smash Angling

After starting the charging animation for the side smash. You can angle the attack normally, up or down. The up angle is best for killing, but the down angle can "encourage" people to leave the ledge earlier.
For Running U-Smash, Mario has to be charging in order to slide.

Angling your F-Smash, regardless of if it's up or down, gives stronger KO potential.

F-Smash Normal - 99%
F-Smash Up - 93%
F-Smash Down - 95%

This is because damage is slightly higher on the angled versions (literally by a few points of decimals).

B Special Move Advanced Techniques

F.L.U.D.D. Techniques

F.L.U.D.D. Recovery

In order to use this technique you must have a fully charged F.L.U.D.D. and have your back facing the stage. ONLY USE THIS IN THE UPPER PARTS OF THE BLAST ZONE! If you use this somewhere in the middle or the lower part of the blast zone you will probably kill yourself! Horizontal Recovery is quite nice though!

I can confirm that FLUDD actually does not help Mario's recovery this way. While it does increase Mario's momentum, it does not increase Mario's maximum momentum, so this has always been a placebo effect. If you use High Pressure FLUDD, this will actually work the way it's supposed to.

It is however, useful to use FLUDD to push back opponents who attempt to edgeguard Mario.

I actually wouldn't call FLUDD Angling or FLUDD Canceling ATs though. They're just basic control schemes. FLUDD KO should be noted as an AT though.

Cape Canceling

You can slow yourself down if you've been launched by using the cape. Might just save your skin!
This also doesn't work at all from my testing. This was discovered pre-patch 1.0.4, so this was probably just Vectoring at work.

A more useful AT is Cape Stalling.

Since this is the Mario boards, I would only account for ATs that are Mario-specific, since the rest of the ATs are accounted for in the Competitive forum.

For Fireballs: There's Fireball Sliding, which is noted in Nyani's video along with Cape Sliding (which has been coined Cape Dash. I dunno if we're converting the name since Cape Dash had a different function in Brawl).

This is a good idea though. I'd like for this to get more attention.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
If you have gust cape you can cape glide

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
@ Heart of Ice Heart of Ice

It is however, useful to use FLUDD to push back opponents who attempt to edgeguard Mario.

A more useful AT is Cape Stalling.
I thought that using the F.L.U.D.D. for gimping was too obvious for me to bother mentioning. I also tried to use the F.L.U.D.D. as an anti edge guard technique, but didn't have enough success to find it worth a mention.

Oh, and what is Cape Stalling? I could list it on this thread!

@ MrM MrM Could you elaborate on what Cape Gliding is?

How do you do the Fire Ball slide? It would be a good addition! Anybody know how to do it?

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Cape Stalling is simply using cape to halt your descent to avoid juggles. If you seen Fox use his shine in Melee/Brawl, it's the same idea.

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
In brawl you can cape as you run off a ledge or platform giving you horizontal momentum with the gust cape it works the same way

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Thanks a lot. Picked up Mario recently. Going to practice these right away.

Victreesmash

Smash Rookie
I feel like something that is really useful as well is cape gimping characters with bad recoveries like Falcon and other Marios.

Top Bottom