• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Case for Miis

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Disclaimer: I don't really WANT Miis in the game, but I wouldn't be upset if they were included. I'm just here to attempt to make an objective case for why Miis are even a plausible option. Also, I'm not going to defend this argument, because I don't think it's worth defending. But maybe I'll get some people thinking in ways they previously weren't. And I apologize if this is redundant. I've been gone for 2 years. =P

Relevance
Mii's, like Wii Fit Trainer, are now a part of Nintendo's heritage. Wii Fit Trainer is relevant because she represents an important aspect of Nintendo's current game design philosophy (at least, that's how I see it). Miis are relevant for the same reason. They're also an important part of the way Nintendo wants gamers to interact with each other on a global scale. I know that as adults who grew up when Nintendo focused solely on its star characters, it's hard to accept Miis as relevant, but starting with the Wii, Miis became a very big part of Nintendo games. I think we should at least recognize that. Are they deserving of a Smash Bros spot? Maybe, maybe not.

"They're not actual characters."Well.... neither was Mr. Game and Watch (whose name was invented for Smash Bros). Or R.O.B. And now Wii Fit Trainer. I think it's time we put that argument to rest. It's not about "being a character." It's about being relevant to Nintendo's heritage and who Nintendo is.

"So we can use our own Mii's? What does that mean for character balancing?"
I think this is a perfectly relevant concern. If Mii's are custom (weight??) then how do they play? Well they could maybe just filter all Miis into 3 categories (light, medium, heavy) and have them operate accordingly. It would make balancing less of a nightmare. Just a thought...

"It's stupid"
Yes, well.... you're entitled to that opinion. =P But that's not going to stop them from doing it if they want to. And I'm sure just as many people would be happy about it: especially younger gamers who were introduced in the Wii's gen: those gamers perceive Nintendo as a company that finds it important for gamers to be able to put their own likeness into the game experience. Don't be selfish, guys. =P Try to think like a kid. Maybe it'll grant you a different perspective on some things. Again, just a thought.

I'll just leave you with that.

EDIT: Gosh.. just realized I was in General and not Character Discussion. Sorry about that Mods. You can lock or move the topic if you deem necessary...

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Why do they have to be in different slots or character balances? It could just be a single character that can swap faces in and out. The moveset would use the assets from the wii games such as Sport equipment (Wii Sports), Instruments (Wii Music), and other abilities from Wii Party and other games.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Why do they have to be in different slots or character balances? It could just be a single character that can swap faces in and out. The moveset would use the assets from the wii games such as Sport equipment (Wii Sports), Instruments (Wii Music), and other abilities from Wii Party and other games.

Nobody said "have to." =P Just addressing a common argument.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Conis

Smash Rookie
I could've seen Miis as a plausible enough addition beforehand (though I didn't want them), but with the additions of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, they'd seem awfully redundant now. Villager is another avatar character with a physical appearance that is similar to a Mii's, and WFT represents the Wii/Nintendo's new design philosophy/casual gaming/what have you. What other purpose would Miis serve that those two characters don't already?

Not to say they can't or won't get in now, but it would make very little sense at this point.

Top Bottom