• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A call to abolish Sudden Death in FG

Should sudden death be abolished in FG?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I think it's about time Sudden Death is removed from FG mode. This is supposed to be a competitive mode and to have matches decided basically by random chance is and always has been stupid. It doesn't matter if one player has a huge percentage lead, if the players are on equal stocks it goes to sudden death regardless. Sudden Death has no place in what is supposed to be a competitive mode.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting sick of having opponent run away from me in the last 10-20 seconds of the match to run it down into sudden death when I'm the one with a huge percentage lead. They should be approaching me to try to end it before the timer runs out, not running away from me. I don't necessarily mind them doing it if THEY have the lead - but if I have the lead, it's plain ridiculous. It's akin to a football game, and the team that's behind deliberately wastes time because there's a random chance they could be declared the winner at full time anyway.

I'm calling for Sudden Death to be abolished in FG (I don't mind if it stays in FF though). Replace it with declaring the winner being player/team with the least damage taken on the final stock, or the player/team that's done the most damage during the course of the match (like how tourney mode does it) - I don't really care which option they go with (obviously option 1 will be consistent with most tournaments though) but the ultimate point is that they need to get rid of sudden death in FG.

While we are at it they should probably increase the 1v1 FG timer from 5 minutes to 6 minutes but that's a different issue.

I don't think anyone on these boards actually likes the idea of Sudden Death in FG. I don't know if there's a way we can send a message to Nintendo about this but I really wish we could. It needs to go.

What say Smashboards posters?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The benefit to Sudden Death is that unlike all other tiebreaker methods, it actually motivates engagement. It is entirely your (and your foe's) choice to NOT engage knowing that you will be bombed if you fail to do so.

Percent is a bad tiebreaker method. In the exact opposite case of a percent tiebreaker, without sudden death, YOU as the person with the percent lead should be the one running away and avoiding engagement.

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I agree but I feel like it would be better if they just had an infinite time limit. I don't even understand why competitive matches EVER have time limits...

Raijinken

Smash Master
I agree but I feel like it would be better if they just had an infinite time limit. I don't even understand why competitive matches EVER have time limits...
Necessary evil as a caution against things such as:

Two players agreeing to screw around.
Sonic vs Rosalina.
Villager vs Villager.
Etc.

Nobody likes them, and they're somehow considered a better choice than just heavy-handed disqualification.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
It's more of an issue in 2v2 FG honestly since it's time and more than 60% of the games I play with my best friend end up going to sudden death.

At that point the game just comes down to luck of whoever inputs their buttons faster. It be a whole lot less of a problem if they just made it stock...

KirbCider

Smash Ace
To be honest, I don't think Sudden Death should be removed but rather improved in some way or form.

I've heard that the Tie-Breaker Method for the Tournament Mode causes problems of it's own. If it was a "Least Percentage" sort of thing it would give people more of a reason to just run away the whole time and camp. If it was a "Most Percentage" sort of thing it would give people more of a reason to either run away, or attempt to spam a certain move a lot just to rack up your damage. Yes, I hate it so much when people do nothing but try to run whether it's the last 10 seconds or in general. Sometimes it's just so insanely silly.

It's even more silly in Sudden Death at times whether it's 1V1 or 2V2.

It's either attempt to approach and hope for the best, or camp out at the edges the entire time. I've had some Sudden Deaths go on for 2 or 3 full minutes because of this because neither of us would refuse to give up. I think what may help in Sudden Death is if we had some sort of edge grab limit maybe. That, and/or have the bombs start spawning off the Stage instead of just on the Stage itself.

Heck, I think it'd be even tougher/scarier if they added random Smart Bombs along with the normal Bombs. I don't know.

I will admit it is insanely annoying, yet I don't think I can blame anyone but myself most of the time mainly because their methods of running away or whatever actually works. Either way, I think it may just end up a losing battle whether it was removed or improved.

Doesn't hurt to try either method though I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom