• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

64 VOD database project (needs your help!)

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all. You might know me as the 64 section's most impoverished poster but hopefully I'm gonna be able to change that soon with the help of this magical new "information economy" I keep hearing so much about. But to do that I'm gonna need to get a nice little portfolio of projects going on. The next thing I'm going to work on will hopefully also be a nice treat for the 64 community.

So check it out: some of you may have seen the site vods.co which is a searchable database for recorded matches for Melee, Brawl, Pm, and Sm4sh. In order to demonstrate that I can make a simple database application and hopefully a pretty little HTML5 front end (my html/css skills are basically still frozen in the 2004 era internet).

Of course the first step is gonna be to simply collect as many youtube or twitch channels as I can find with archived tournament matches. So this is where you can help. If you are interested in helping out with this project all you need to do to help is post links here to any archived sets you know of. It's okay if you just give me a link to a youtube or twitch channel and lemme know what tournaments they have sets of, I'll do all the data collection myself. In terms of the application and what it can do I figure I'll just record basic parameters like players, the tournament, the date, possibly commentators (if there are any), length of the set, and the game count data.

That's probably pretty much all it needs to do but if any of y'all can think of other cool features you want to see implemented and I'll see if it seems plausible based on my experience level and the amount of time I have. Another cool thing about setting up this database is we can easily analyze the data for info about tiers and match ups etc. etc. Although for the time being I'm probably gonna confine the data set to recorded matches just to make it easier for me to get something done ASAP and also because it's hard to verify matches and set counts that are just listed in some old challonge bracket, some times they aren't totally accurate.

Also just out of curiosity @ Shears Shears if you are interested in hosting an app like this lemme know what we'd need to do to make that happen. I haven't done much database stuff, especially in recent years but I'm planning on working with Rails and MySQL since that's what a lot of good tutorials suggest you start off with.

Shears

Smash Master
Yeah I can set you up with something to do all this without learning any back end. I'm definitely interested. In fact some of my sites are designed to kind of be this VOD library potentially.

Http://elorankings.com has NA and Xanadu and is designed to be a place to have complete match history and video archive. Check out the ones I created to see the video archives and match history.

If you want to do more and make a different type of video and match repository I'll certainly help out.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
I plan to do this with a YouTube Channel I am starting up called SSB Archives. This will hope to host archived footage of every tournament match, friendly, etc. that has been recorded.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
I plan to do this with a YouTube Channel I am starting up called SSB Archives. This will hope to host archived footage of every tournament match, friendly, etc. that has been recorded.
Uhhhh you realize you can't just upload other people's videos to your own channel right? VGBC for example relies on ad revenue from their videos and would be very unhappy about you doing this.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Uhhhh you realize you can't just upload other people's videos to your own channel right? VGBC for example relies on ad revenue from their videos and would be very unhappy about you doing this.
Perfectly understandable, and I will be in talks with those organizations for their permission (Videos that are not mine will not be monetized). If they say no, so be it, and it'll all be cool.

nickthename

Smash Apprentice
Perfectly understandable, and I will be in talks with those organizations for their permission (Videos that are not mine will not be monetized). If they say no, so be it, and it'll all be cool.
You could just put other people's videos in your playlists without having to reupload them.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Yeah a lot of channels already do this but one of the coolest things you could do would actually just be make a bunch of playlists like one for each tournament in the proper order and all that. That'd actually be pretty dope.

Shears

Smash Master
Not monetizing the videos is the problem. If you had a VGBC video up on youtube without ads, and VGBC had it with ads, which one is everyone going to watch? Now GimR is homeless. If you monetize the videos and have ads well thats a problem too because now the money is going your way and not theirs and you're infringing on their intellectual property. Again, now GimR is homeless. The only solution to your endeavor is to create playlists that link and feature channels and their videos. This way, your channel has all the videos and the original channels still get the views.

HermitHelmet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hermit_Helmet1
Yeah a lot of channels already do this but one of the coolest things you could do would actually just be make a bunch of playlists like one for each tournament in the proper order and all that. That'd actually be pretty dope.
That is the plan for videos that I do not own.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot y'all. I just moved back to Athens and I'm scrambling to get a job right now but once I've got that down I'll get to work on it.

Top Bottom