• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

60 FPS vs Game Size and Graphics/Resolution

Booster

Smash Lord
The age old question: Frame rate or Graphics? This debate has been going on for awhile. Some games look better and they're bigger but at the cost of Frame Rate. Some games look extremely ****ty and are smaller but have 60 frames per second (Generally kids games and most Wii U games). I personally prefer the size and graphics of a game over 60 FPS, there's alot more to do, which gives a game longer life and more variety as opposed to other, smaller, uglier games (Mario Kart 8 is an exception due to having great graphics and 59-60 FPS).

However, my friend Jelly/Jerry prefers 60 FPS, saying that 60 FPS games are alot more stable and have less of a chance of freezing, but if every game was 60 FPS, games would be smaller, giving less life.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't think the size of a game has anything to do with frame rates more than just the graphics, but as technology gets better (especially PCs), we can have our cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. This is more a preference than anything else, and there isn't much (for me) to debate here, but if you want me to give my two cents, here it is:

Frame rate can be important, but even at 30-40 frames, the game is perfectly playable to me because as far as I'm concerned, the difference is negligible for me to notice or care. That said, if a game's graphics doesn't look as amazing as what the PC, PS4 or Xbox One can muster, it can still be a great experience if the game itself (story, gameplay, length, etc.) is good all the same. Great graphics does not a good game make, and this has been proven countless times; same goes for frame rates. True quality comes from the substance the game actually has to offer in other more relevant categories. Graphics and/or frame rates should be seen as a bonus.

Booster

Smash Lord
I don't think the size of a game has anything to do with frame rates more than just the graphics, but as technology gets better (especially PCs), we can have our cake and eat it too, as the saying goes. This is more a preference than anything else, and there isn't much (for me) to debate here, but if you want me to give my two cents, here it is:

Frame rate can be important, but even at 30-40 frames, the game is perfectly playable to me because as far as I'm concerned, the difference is negligible for me to notice or care. That said, if a game's graphics doesn't look as amazing as what the PC, PS4 or Xbox One can muster, it can still be a great experience if the game itself (story, gameplay, length, etc.) is good all the same. Great graphics does not a good game make, and this has been proven countless times; same goes for frame rates. True quality comes from the substance the game actually has to offer in other more relevant categories. Graphics and/or frame rates should be seen as a bonus.
Most great console games aren't even at 60 FPS, so that amount of FPS is overkill. There's a reason why 30-40 is the industry standard: It's enough.

Sparklepower

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Overfired
For me it depends on the type of game it is.
If it's something fast paced and requires precise timing (i.e. any fighting game, or competitive RTS or FPS games) I'd greatly prefer 60 fps.
For something that doesn't really require precise timing or control, and you can take it slow (i.e. Most RPGs, Platformers, etc.) I would prefer better graphics over 60 fps, 30 fps is good enough for that.

Booster

Smash Lord
For me it depends on the type of game it is.
If it's something fast paced and requires precise timing (i.e. any fighting game, or competitive RTS or FPS games) I'd greatly prefer 60 fps.
For something that doesn't really require precise timing or control, and you can take it slow (i.e. Most RPGs, Platformers, etc.) I would prefer better graphics over 60 fps, 30 fps is good enough for that.
True.

It's ironic because all console FPS and RTS run at 30 frames and it's Platformers that run at 60 fps xP

Twewy

Smash Lord
Not true, I'm pretty sure there are console FPS games that run at 60. Timesplitters 2 feels that way, at least.

On the debate of 60 FPS, I feel with games such as Bayonetta, God Hand, or any fighting game, 60 FPS is a must for fast-paced gameplay. Graphics are nice, but I don't eat soup based on how the bowl looks. However, there are times where 60 FPS can screw with the game. From Software released the PC version of Dark Souls II not too long ago, which is capped at 60 compared to the console's 30. However, From has caused major bugs due to tying actions to the framerate. Weapon durablity lowers twice as easy, and attacks reach out further than they should be.

Booster

Smash Lord
Not true, I'm pretty sure there are console FPS games that run at 60. Timesplitters 2 feels that way, at least.

On the debate of 60 FPS, I feel with games such as Bayonetta, God Hand, or any fighting game, 60 FPS is a must for fast-paced gameplay. Graphics are nice, but I don't eat soup based on how the bowl looks. However, there are times where 60 FPS can screw with the game. From Software released the PC version of Dark Souls II not too long ago, which is capped at 60 compared to the console's 30. However, From has caused major bugs due to tying actions to the framerate. Weapon durablity lowers twice as easy, and attacks reach out further than they should be.
This is why From Software needs to stick to Playstation consoles, their games are the best when exclusive to those platforms.

Also a fun fact: Bayonetta 2 will have the original Bayonetta on the same disc and the first one will run at 60 fps in full 1080p and have new features, such as...a Star Fox costume where Fox McCloud has giant boobs. I hate to say it, but it should've been Krystal and not Fox.

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Depends on the game I guess.

The problem is that its easy to advertise quality graphics, but its not easy to advertise 60 fps as very few video streaming services have that option.

Games which want to be realistic will have to scale down the FPS, though less realistic games like Mario don't have to.

DaSasQuach

Smash Rookie
I always go with framerate, especially when playing Counter-Strike and other fighting games. That 60FPS is sooo crucial to those games, I honestly will not touch a fighting game without 60FPS.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
I don't really care about graphics. They're like icing on the cake, but much less delicious.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I prefer frames to polygons. As others have said, though, FPS has no real correlation to the "size" of a game. Let me explain.

Basically, frames per second is the number of times the screen you're watching is refreshed with a new rendering of the events of the game. Obviously, more times per second looks smoother. 30 is a nice benchmark, but 60 looks really buttery.

There are SO MANY things that can affect what frame rate a game achieves, but the short version is that you want your graphics processing to be as computationally simple as possible.

How can you achieve this? A number of ways. First, though, we need to understand a little bit about the graphics pipeline (ie, the steps the graphics card goes through every time it renders a scene).

The short version is basically that the relevant models for a scene are created. They're then transformed into world space. Then the camera is transformed to the appropriate viewing angle. Then lighting is applied (this step is time consuming). Then things are appropriately scaled to deal with the fact that 3D graphics are projected onto a 2D viewing space. Then polygons that can't currently be seen are discarded. Then the process called "rasterization" begins, wherein each pixel on the screen is assigned a color based on the camera position, lighting, and models previously generated. Shaders, texturing, and other things are also other steps along the way, but those are whole other rabbit holes. To get 60 fps, you have to do all of that 60 times per second (and have a >=60hz display).

Anyway, with this in mind, a couple of things should be clear. A) The less lighting and modeling you have going on, the easier it's gonna be on your graphics card B) the fewer pixels on your screen, the easier as well.

This is why "smaller" games tend to run at higher FPS (they tend to have less complicated lighting models, shaders, etc). This is also why it's easier to run at 60fps in 720p than it is at 1080p. This is also why it's so easy to make HD remakes of older games run at 60 fps. Because the newer hardware is much better than what the remade game previously ran on, it can almost certainly run whatever lighting and shading algorithms were being run originally, but much faster.

Ultimately, though, the reason big games aren't at 60 fps is because developers are lazy. Any number of big budget games have been 60fps, it's not impossible. But devs began to realize that the development time required to ensure 60fps was not seeing any kind of return on investment. No one wouldn't buy a game just because it was 30 fps instead of 60 fps, even though 60 looks better. Insomniac Games pretty famously declared not long ago that one of the Ratchet and Clank games was going to be their last 60fps game for this reason.

So in short, size of a game and its FPS are not inherently related. It's just that the big budget titles tend to have fancy lighting algorithms and high poly character models, which is taxing on console graphics cards. They could probably squeeze 60fps out if they wanted, but without a meaningful ROI, they won't.

However, my friend Jelly/Jerry prefers 60 FPS, saying that 60 FPS games are alot more stable and have less of a chance of freezing, but if every game was 60 FPS, games would be smaller, giving less life.
Neither of these arguments is true. Frame rate has no meaningful relationship to propensity to freeze, and as I said above, FPS has no meaningful correlation with size of a game.

Last edited:

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
My PC can shoot past 60 FPS, at least it did when I was playing Garry's Mod.

I always go with framerate, especially when playing Counter-Strike and other fighting games. That 60FPS is sooo crucial to those games, I honestly will not touch a fighting game without 60FPS.
^this, anything bellow 55 just feels sluggish IMO

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
My PC can shoot past 60 FPS, at least it did when I was playing Garry's Mod.
Yes, but consoles will basically never run any current gen games faster than 60. Also, if you have a monitor that doesn't have a refresh rate of >60hz, those frames are wasted anyway. Unless you want screen tearing.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Yes, but consoles will basically never run any current gen games faster than 60. Also, if you have a monitor that doesn't have a refresh rate of >60hz, those frames are wasted anyway. Unless you want screen tearing.
Screen tearing is a visual artifact in video display where a display device shows information from two or more frames in a single screen draw (as Nixon_Corral mentioned above, each screen draw is happening 60 times in a second) The artifact occurs when the video feed to the device isn't in sync with the display's refresh rate.

Here's an example of what screen tearing would look like in an extreme case:

I agree wholeheartedly with Nixon_Corral's opinion regarding frame rate.
I prefer frames to polygons. As others have said, though, FPS has no real correlation to the "size" of a game. Let me explain.

Basically, frames per second is the number of times the screen you're watching is refreshed with a new rendering of the events of the game. Obviously, more times per second looks smoother. 30 is a nice benchmark, but 60 looks really buttery.

There are SO MANY things that can affect what frame rate a game achieves, but the short version is that you want your graphics processing to be as computationally simple as possible.

How can you achieve this? A number of ways. First, though, we need to understand a little bit about the graphics pipeline (ie, the steps the graphics card goes through every time it renders a scene).

The short version is basically that the relevant models for a scene are created. They're then transformed into world space. Then the camera is transformed to the appropriate viewing angle. Then lighting is applied (this step is time consuming). Then things are appropriately scaled to deal with the fact that 3D graphics are projected onto a 2D viewing space. Then polygons that can't currently be seen are discarded. Then the process called "rasterization" begins, wherein each pixel on the screen is assigned a color based on the camera position, lighting, and models previously generated. Shaders, texturing, and other things are also other steps along the way, but those are whole other rabbit holes. To get 60 fps, you have to do all of that 60 times per second (and have a >=60hz display).

Anyway, with this in mind, a couple of things should be clear. A) The less lighting and modeling you have going on, the easier it's gonna be on your graphics card B) the fewer pixels on your screen, the easier as well.

This is why "smaller" games tend to run at higher FPS (they tend to have less complicated lighting models, shaders, etc). This is also why it's easier to run at 60fps in 720p than it is at 1080p. This is also why it's so easy to make HD remakes of older games run at 60 fps. Because the newer hardware is much better than what the remade game previously ran on, it can almost certainly run whatever lighting and shading algorithms were being run originally, but much faster.

Ultimately, though, the reason big games aren't at 60 fps is because developers are lazy. Any number of big budget games have been 60fps, it's not impossible. But devs began to realize that the development time required to ensure 60fps was not seeing any kind of return on investment. No one wouldn't buy a game just because it was 30 fps instead of 60 fps, even though 60 looks better. Insomniac Games pretty famously declared not long ago that one of the Ratchet and Clank games was going to be their last 60fps game for this reason.

So in short, size of a game and its FPS are not inherently related. It's just that the big budget titles tend to have fancy lighting algorithms and high poly character models, which is taxing on console graphics cards. They could probably squeeze 60fps out if they wanted, but without a meaningful ROI, they won't.

Neither of these arguments is true. Frame rate has no meaningful relationship to propensity to freeze, and as I said above, FPS has no meaningful correlation with size of a game.
One thing that I'd like to clarify regarding the 3DS is:

1080p is 1920 pixels wide by 1080 pixels tall. This means that it has to color 2,073,600 pixels every time it refreshes the page.
That's 124,416,000 pixels being colored every second.

The 3DS in 2D mode has a resolution of 400 pixels wide by 240 pixels tall. That means that it only has to put out 80,000 pixels per frame. That's 4,800,000 per second at 60fps.

This doesn't seem like a lot, and it really isn't, but the 3DS has a much slower processor than people realize. That and it has 3D mode, where it has to render the scene twice per frame, once for each eye. Turning on 3D mode changes the screen so that it displays 800 pixels wide (400 for each eye) by 240 pixels tall. This doubles the amount of information it needs to render.

To be honest, I'm shocked that the 3DS can do 60fps at all in 3D mode.

Top Bottom