• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 character slots left: 3 newcomers and 2 veterans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xigger

Smash Lord
All right, so everyone knows that there were 6 character slots on the Dojo character page. Popular speculations are "You're looking into it too much" and "there will be 18 starter characters." Either way, what about the main page's layout?

If the main webpage's characters were to line up evenly in the end, then you could guess how many newcomers vs veterans would be announced. With 5 characters, the only possible combination to line up perfect rows of 5 would be 3 newcomers and 2 veterans. Also, each row would have a 1:2 newcomer to veteran ratio.

Even if you think the starting roster will be larger than 18, you can make educated guesses on the main webpage too. Anyone else think there could be merit to this?

nessokman

Smash Lord
The web page is obviously subject to change at any time. They will probably change it to fit in all the characters :I

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Yeah there's going to be more than two slides.
And besides that, the number of characters left is different for computers with small resolution and mobile phones.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They most likely haven't decided the full roster size as of yet, they're trying their best at including as many characters as possible, so since it hasn't been decided yet there's not anything to find about that when looking into the website.

GGMM

Smash Rookie
http://www.smashbros.com/nl/characters/mega_man.html

If you look at the character selection page on this page, you see:

You can click on every dot there, but from the third there are no characters anymore:

At first i was really happy cause i tought they leaked the number of characters, but then i realised it would mean that there would me at least 154 characters.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
From the last few posts I realize that Sakurai is trolling us again. :laugh:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
When is he not trolling us though?

This guy clearly knows his fanbase. ;)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Just so you know, prior to Olimar's reveal there were four empty spaces on the site. Now there are five. These empty boxes mean nothing and are simply there for aesthetics. Case and point: you're crazy.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Also, if you view the site from your phone there are only two empty slots.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Ok so most likely it's all just subject to change and means nothing but if you care to put any stock in it I've crunched some of these number and yielded some very interesting stuff:

RosterNumber.png

The Online site has the Blank Squares in Rows of 9, while the Mobile site has them in Rows of 5: It's been theorized before that the obvious roster number we can assume from this is 45 (being divisible evenly by both 9 and 5). Now the site appears to be set up with "newcomer rectangles" in the middle of two "veteran squares"... If we use this newcomer to veteran ratio of 1:2 on a finished page of 45 total spots then we get a finish page with 15 newcomers and 30 veterans.

Now taking into account the mobile site: it isn't set up in this 1:2 ratio way that the online site is set up (a veteran "square" on both sides of a single newcomers longer "rectangle")... Instead the mobile site has ALL of the newcomers rectangles on top and then ALL of the veterans are placed in rows of 3 underneath using up the same amount of space across the page as a single newcomers rectangle. In this format the number of newcomers doesn't directly affect the number of veterans directly However the final number of veterans MUST be divisible by 3.

INTERESTINGLY 30 veterans (the number we got by using the 1:2 ratio on 45) IS divisible by 3. This number fits the 1:2 newcomers to veterans ratio on the online site, it also fits the need for the final number of veterans to be divisible by 3 on the mobile site, AND it would fill the sets of blank square slots on both sites (sets of 9 blank squares on the online site and sets of 5 blank squares on the mobile site).

This would mean out of the 35 characters in brawl, 5 of them are being "cut". This also depends on if Sheik and Zero-Suit Samus get their own "veteran" squares or simply get updated to the Zelda/Samus pages. Also if past Veterans like Mewtwo or Roy return, if they are updated, will they take up "newcome" or "veteran" spots?

I agree that this is all probably subject to change, the game is still in development and the final roster may not be decided yet, but it is VERY interesting that ONLY a 45 character roster with 15 Newcomers and 30 Veterans fits EVERY aspect of these sites perfectly. It's also a reasonable roster size to assume we'd see this time around, 15 newcomers is also a highly likely amount, and 5 cuts is also a reasonable and likely amount of cuts.

Again I understand the reasons this could mean nothing so put whatever faith in it you will, but if we end up with this exact roster count, I won't be that surprised.

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to smash reading too much into things like the website layout is nothing new. People are hungry for any information they can find. Most people want negative reinforcement so they latch on anything that can be seen as a negative even if its far-fetched.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Posting it here again.

@papagenos
I disagree with this part of the analysis.

The website when I set my monitor's resolution to 1600x900

And when I set the resolution to 1280x720.

See?

Donkey Kong moves to the top row when I increase my screen's resolution.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Judging by the newcomer section on the old DOJO, not all spaces in a row of character profiles need to be filled, so while the 30 veterans theory makes sense on paper, it's not necessarily accurate based on precedent.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Posting it here again.

@papagenos
I disagree with this part of the analysis.

The website when I set my monitor's resolution to 1600x900

And when I set the resolution to 1280x720.

See?

Donkey Kong moves to the top row when I increase my screen's resolution.
Judging by that "Best Drawings" tab, I can tell I need to update the Miiverse drawings very actively everyday. Didn't think it would be that active. O-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom