• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

4 specific settings for people with D-Link routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokipin

Smash Rookie
Forgive me for not posting this in the lag alleviation thread that no one reads past the first page. This is advice for people with D-Link routers, hope it helps.

1. Don't use TKIP security
2. DMZ enabled for Wii
3. Wan Ping Respond enabled
4. GAMING mode enabled

TKIP:

This may not be the case with your router, but when I switched from TKIP to WEP, the lag went down by a lot. I think for whatever reason, the connection from my particular router has to be sent through a proxy when it is set to TKIP. This may not be the case for your router, and I would recommend changing the other settings before you mess with this one.

Wan Ping Respond:

I had this disabled for some reason, and it occurred to me that it might be the reason why I was rarely host in online matches... because the server would query my network to see if it's active and wouldn't get a response, so it would say "OK he can't be server." After enabling it, I'm commonly host.

GAMING mode:

This is actually what made the biggest difference in terms of the whole experience. Before I enabled it (I don't know if it's on by default or not) I would get disconnected all the time before finding players. It's as if it DID find players, but those players were deemed incompatible with me and I got disconnected. I would keep getting disconnected until I found a compatible match, after which I didn't get disconnected until I stopped playing. Needless to say, it was gay.

I think this "GAMING mode" has different names in different router brands, so if you have that ******** "disconnect n-times before finding a match" issue, I recommend googling.

This thread http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19478097-What-is-Gaming-mode-on-Dlink-WBR2310-router can give you ideas about what the setting might be on your router.

Chuz

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I just checked my router settings to change it, but ironically, everything you mentioned was already done. I still sometimes D/C and the delay is still horrid but oh well...

Chaco

Never Logs In
This could be used in FAQ's. However it does not deserve it's own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom