• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS 3DS Video/Audio Capture Kits opinion? Recording SSB43DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrosUnited

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BrosUnited
(If this is in the wrong section, please move it. Thank you very much)
Hello everyone!
BrosUnited is planning to record Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS on our YouTube Channel [ https://www.youtube.com/user/BrosUnitedCNL ] as soon as it comes out. With that being said, there are two actual options we are interested in.

1.) Purchase this,
http://www.3dscapture.com/
(This is currently not available, as they are out of stock until August 25th. Also, we would have to ship our DS to this one person to install the board onto the DS. Seems a little sketchy.)

2.) Purchase this,
http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/product/21
Which looks uncomfortable to use because let's face it; it's HUGE!

or...

3.) Shoe box,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-Y88-XhPE

Does anyone know the reliability of the first two options especially option #2 or an additional option?
Thanks for any feedback.
Oh, and if you like Smash videos of all kinds, please check out our channel!

Last edited:

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Hmm, if you wanna record, 3DS capture is very reliable, as I haven't heard any problems with it :)

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
I can't report on the quality of number 2, but the reason it looks so big is they're showing of that the attached capture device still fits with the Circle Pad Pro Accessory. They also have a 2DS available, which might be a good option since I doubt 3D is an issue for the videos you'll be posting.

Likewise, they have a 3DSXL model available too, as well as 3DSes ordered from Japan, America and Europe if you need one for a specific region.

edit: I can't post links, but Kotaku apparently talked to the people who make number 2 in Japan in an article if you want to google that.

Last edited:

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I haven't tried out any of these, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think you should try the shoebox one, but instead
EDIT:Sorry, couldnt finish it cause my tablet is malfunctioning.

Last edited:

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
I can't report on the quality of number 2, but the reason it looks so big is they're showing of that the attached capture device still fits with the Circle Pad Pro Accessory. They also have a 2DS available, which might be a good option since I doubt 3D is an issue for the videos you'll be posting.

Likewise, they have a 3DSXL model available too, as well as 3DSes ordered from Japan, America and Europe if you need one for a specific region.

edit: I can't post links, but Kotaku apparently talked to the people who make number 2 in Japan in an article if you want to google that.
I just looked at the article :p considering a Kotaku writer actually went there to mod his 3DS, its safe to assume that the second choice is more relible.

EDIT: Link: http://kotaku.com/my-quest-to-play-3ds-games-on-my-tv-1512835011

Last edited:

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I haven't tried out any of these, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

You should use the shoebox one for now, but instead of using a android cam, use a HD Webcam. Trust me, theyre not expensive, there are some under 50 bucks, and they are really good. When you keep gaining more views/followers, get a capture card or save up for it.

supahVGC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Super
3DS FC
4382-2037-5660
Yes, the others are so expensive, but the shoebox is the cheapest, and you can still get HD quality :)

EDIT: I'm using my android cam, but I'm gonna use a video editing program to increase the sharpness

Last edited:

BrosUnited

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BrosUnited

You're right. It looks good.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
Here's an example of someone using a logitech webcam. I believe the one he is using isn't HD, and it still looks good. Imagine what you can do with an HD one. You may need to get 2 cams, or put the cam in a position so that borh screens get recorded, for the percentages. I recommend the former, though.
You can use a low quality cam for bottom screen.
EDIT:Better example, with direct sound I believe

Last edited:

BrosUnited

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BrosUnited
Hmm?! Did you already order it?! :O
No I got the picture on the site you linked lol.

Here's an example of someone using a logitech webcam. I believe the one he is using isn't HD, and it still looks good. Imagine what you can do with an HD one. You may need to get 2 cams, or put the cam in a position so that borh screens get recorded, for the percentages. I recommend the former, though.
Thanks for the idea.

Last edited:

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
The choices you have are basically between immaculate construction and excellent service (1) or wide availability of products and variable build quality of your products with potentially expensive repair fees if something breaks (2).

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Yea, the first one was one of the first people to do it and I've only heard good things about the guy No clue on the second one.

PingPongCop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bottlecapn
3DS FC
2938-8474-3044
Looks great! Can you explain to me how this works though?

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
Looks great! Can you explain to me how this works though?
Logitech C920
This is what the guy in the second video used. This one is a bit pricey,you could find one under 100 bucks but cheaper ones can be found with around the same quality.
I'm not 100% sure what he did, but he probaly did it the shoebox way, shown in the OP or he used the stand you get with Kid Icarus, placed the cam in a good position, cropped the vid and putted it in a 3DS template. BTW, In the second video, it wasn't streamed but in the first vid, it was. (Check the description.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hoping we'll be able to upload replays to Youtube or something. You'd need to edit in the commentary and it wouldn't be live, but it'sbetter then fidgeting with cameras or everybody buying capture devices.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hoping we'll be able to upload replays to Youtube or something. You'd need to edit in the commentary and it wouldn't be live, but it'sbetter then fidgeting with cameras or everybody buying capture devices.
Didn't Brawl allow saving of Replays to SD cards? That should be an option on the 3DS version.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Didn't Brawl allow saving of Replays to SD cards? That should be an option on the 3DS version.
You could, but they were saved as imput strings instead of actual video. Same thing with the snapshots. People had to screencap the snapshots just to upload them. Worst comes to worst, we'll have to send replays to a 3DS with a capture card and replay them.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You could, but they were saved as imput strings instead of actual video. Same thing with the snapshots. People had to screencap the snapshots just to upload them. Worst comes to worst, we'll have to send replays to a 3DS with a capture card and replay them.
Or you could just take a camcorder and record the replay.

If Sakurai brings back that mechanic it would be a godsend. I can understand livestreaming/recording in real time something like XY or FE:A. But a game like Sm4sh or KI:U? Uncomfortable.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Or you could just take a camcorder and record the replay.

If Sakurai brings back that mechanic it would be a godsend. I can understand livestreaming/recording in real time something like XY or FE:A. But a game like Sm4sh or KI:U? Uncomfortable.
Oh yeah, reminds of a guy who'd stream clan wars in KI:U whenever he played. Can't remember his name though, I wasn't really into clans. I'll poke around some old haunts and see if anything about the guy and how he streamed comes up.

BrosUnited

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BrosUnited
Bought the 3DS from option 2 about 15 days ago and just got it today. Works great!

Last edited:

TryHardOliver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0130-2283-2936
I think Smash 4 should have a in game recording gimmick where you can upload to youtube and social media sites

D

Deleted member 245254

I have had two mods done by Katsukitty, one on a JP 3DS and another on a foreign 3DS. The construction is impeccable as there is no extra weight or oddity tacked on to the bottom or anywhere, and the software is easy to use. Both cost around 220USD. He also gives technical support via skype if you have issues.

I can understand that not being in Japan can be a deal breaker as service support can be a pain through both a language barrier and a large distance (so not easy to replace or fix if you have issues) but I can specifically vouch for the quality of their service.

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
I have had Katsukity's 3DS XL modification for about a year now and I gotta say the thing is magnificent!
The mod is built into the XL's hardware so it doesn't have to be more bulky like how the regular 3DS is.
The software may take a second to figure out how to install but once you have it all up and running your ready to record.
Personally for YouTube uploads I use DxTory since it seems to have the best settings and render speed out of any screen recording type software.
For the audio, I had to buy a couple of things, I needed a headset, a male to male audio cable, a headset splitter, and an adapter for my headset.
The reason I needed the adapter was because my headset doesn't come with USB but through the 3 ringed line in. So I had to buy a splitter to split the audio and the mic and then used a logitech usb adapter as it's own line in for just my headset.
My 3DS XL is connected to my PC through the built in line in mic on it...most common PCs have this. I connect the male to male to it and that is how I get my voice AND game audio at once.
Sony Vegas is my rendering software of choice, it is super user friendly and easy to learn. I use the highest settings possible because I was my videos to look as best as they can on YouTube.
And finally for Live Streaming, I'm using OBS because of similar reasons. It seems super easy to use and I have little problems compared to XSplit.
The only thing I DON'T like about OBS is how weird the cropping tool is :/ meh they might fix this in a later update I guess?

All in all I think it was a well invested purchase :p MY channel has been BOOMING ever since I got the thing lol
https://www.youtube.com/user/b2j135
there it is btw if anyone wanted to see how good the quality is.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Guys, even one 3DS is enough, as it can serve as a spectator

Put up a few of those, and you're good to go

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please do not bump threads that have been inactive for more than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom