• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Patch 1.0.5 Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
The following is a list of (possible) changes that i discovered messing about with Marth in training mode.

All of the following was tested against a Mario in training mode. If it's not Mario it will be stated otherwise.

A friend of mine claimed that Marth felt smoother to move around with. I can't confirm this personally, but we think there may have been an overall change to the characters. I'm unsure about it myself but it certainly feels that way. I think it may be me trying to notice something not there.

The F-Smash tipper, along with his tippers in general feel easier to pull-off. I can't be certain, but I'm certainly hitting them much more consistently. I think this may be a change to sweet spotting in general to make it more lenient. My friend says he's pulling off Falcon's knee for days and only gets the weak hits when he mistimes it horribly.

The un-tipped F -Smash also seems to kill earlier. In training mode while at 0%, I f-smashed Mario at 115% at the edge of FD and it killed. Landing the tip on Marth's kill moves is still crucial, but if you can't quite get it you don;t have to wait until 150% for it to work any more.

Now for other stuff. Please note that in training mode the rage mechanic isn't dispelled, so that may play a bit of a part unless stated otherwise. It's also why I'm reluctant to give exact percentages.

The recovery on fair definitely seems shorter now and before 100% on most characters the un-tippered hit will have them directly in front of you. While a f-air to f-air true combo happens at very specific percentages, if your opponent doesn't air dodge or have an immensely fast mid-air attack you're very likely to hit them with something else. This makes Marth's already ridiculous off stage game even better. <3

And now for combos!

You can TRUE COMBO down throw into tipper up air. Against Lucina I did this at about 30%. Against Mario it happens around 20%. I'm pretty sure this wasn't a thing before, but if it was... oops. :p

YOU CAN TRUE COMBO FAIR TO FAIR. I first did this un-tippered to tippered and it killed. For both times the first hit was performed on-stage at the edge on a grounded Mario and the second off stage. I performed a short hop and no double jump or fast falling was used. I can't remember the percent Mario was at. The second time was un-tippered to un-tippered and it was done the same way. I did it around the 60% mark. The percentage and timing on it is super strict, but it's back baby.

There's also an almost Ken Combo. It also feels like I should be able to combo fair to d-air, but because I'm on the 3DS every time I go for the d-air I end up fast-falling and it misses. If someone on Wii U could test it for me when the patch is out that would be great.

There's also a pseudo-Ken Combo. If you fair someone and they double jump after they recover from hit stun, you can respond by double jump d-airing. I believe after enough practice, you can definitely space the dunk spot on it. You can also probably use any of Marth's aerials at this point and it will work out.

This isn't a true combo, but at lower percentages if you f-air and your opponent doesn't tech you can just throw out an almost guaranteed tipped Shield breaker. At certain percentages in mid-air, if you f-air them (and they don't DI or air dodge) you can hit them with a tipped shield breaker as well.

I'm also exploring Marth's Dancing Blade options. I've been trying to combo f-air into it, but I haven't gotten it to work out yet. I'm going to continue looking into Marth's changes. If anyone else has discovered anything really interesting about Marth in the new patch, please share it here!

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Rewrite Rewrite , welcome to Smashboards! The down throw to up-air has been able to be performed since previous patches. Although it can be evaded depending on the situation. Also, the Ken combo is not in this game. It is evadable.

@ Lavani Lavani , @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans , I believe this patch was only for adding some features and removing bugs correct? I also read in the Competitive Impressions Thread dedicated to patch 1.05 that Marth and Lucina remain unchanged.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
@ Lavani Lavani , @ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans , I believe this patch was only for adding some features and removing bugs correct? I also read in the Competitive Impressions Thread dedicated to patch 1.05 that Marth and Lucina remain unchanged.
Correct.

Quick patch summary: Greninja, Palutena, and Lucario lost some ATs, a few other various bugs were patched, diagonal inputs now give ftilt/sideB/item throw instead of jab/neutralB. CPU AI seems to have been changed too; lv9 CPUs no longer tech everything, as an example.

I didn't really pay attention to what features were added.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
@ Locuan Locuan I don;t remember true combo fairs in previous patches. If there were I hadn't heard of it them. The recovery on fair is most definitely shorter now. The sweet spot on tippers also feels far more lenient, as well as on sweet spot moves in general.

Also, I was aware that up throw to up-air could be a combo. I didn't think the game registered it as a true combo before though.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I don;t remember true combo fairs in previous patches. If there were I hadn't heard of it them. The recovery on fair is most definitely shorter now. The sweet spot on tippers also feels far more lenient, as well as on sweet spot moves in general.
The recovery on F-air from my testing seems to be exactly the same. If the animation was shorter there might have been the possibility of performing short hop double f-air, or short hop fair > u-air which is not able to be performed. As for the tippers, as long as you space correctly you should have no trouble connecting them, which is the same as with previous versions of the game. In order to test the animation correctly we would need someone with a capture card for the 3DS to test the number of frames. I can also not get to recreate your true combo F-air's as you call them. What is the setup? I tried recreating what you mentioned in the original post. I can say with certainty that the second setup you mentioned for two fairs did not show up as a true combo in my 3DS. Additionally, the combo counter in training mode can sometimes count two hits as combos when they truly aren't. (There is a bug there that they have not yet fixed).

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
The recovery on F-air from my testing seems to be exactly the same. If the animation was shorter there might have been the possibility of performing short hop double f-air, or short hop fair > u-air which is not able to be performed. As for the tippers, as long as you space correctly you should have no trouble connecting them, which is the same as with previous versions of the game. In order to test the animation correctly we would need someone with a capture card for the 3DS to test the number of frames. I can also not get to recreate your true combo F-air's as you call them. What is the setup? I tried recreating what you mentioned in the original post. I can say with certainty that the second setup you mentioned for two fairs did not show up as a true combo in my 3DS. Additionally, the combo counter in training mode can sometimes count two hits as combos when they truly aren't. (There is a bug there that they have not yet fixed).
It's not a short hop fair to fair on stage, but off the stage it is a true combo. It's really picky on it's percentage though.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It's not a short hop fair to fair on stage, but off the stage it is a true combo. It's really picky on it's percentage though.
Yes the first one being on stage close to the ledge and the next off-stage. I tested starting at 50% and after that around 60%. I could not get it to confirm.

Last edited:

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
Yes the first one being on stage close to the ledge and the next off-stage. I tested starting at 50% and after that around 60%. I could not get it to confirm.
I just performed it again and I've figured out how this time. Here are all the specifics:

Stage is Final Destination. Marth (me) is at 60% and Lucina CPU is at 68%. I forward throw Lucina (4%) putting her airborne. While she is still airborne I non-tipper f-aired her (7%) and then non-tipper faired again (7%) and the game registered it as a true combo as in the combo number rose. I've true combo'd it into both a tipper and non-tipper.

I was incorrect about the grounded part and must of hit the CPU during it's recovery from off-stage. I was also wrong about the percentage. It is 100% do-able though. I just did it five more times.

This means that so long as you and you're opponent are mid-air and aren't going to hit the ground this will be a true combo. I'll start testing when it works on other characters as well.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
This means that so long as you and you're opponent are mid-air and aren't going to hit the ground this will be a true combo. I'll start testing when it works on other characters as well.
With your parameters I was able to perform it and both F-airs did register as combos. It is important to note that the f-throw will not combo into a f-air at all. Back on the two f-air's being able to combo, this is something that must have been able to be performed in the previous patch as well. Anyways, this is most likely a specific situation where the DI, in this case none, allows the character to be hit by both due to that character being in hit-stun.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Damn, all these "discoveries" get me all hyped for Marth, but then let me down. No hate on the OP and in fact, welcome to Smashboards you tease! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom