• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3 Quick tips to immediately improve your Ike play

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
  1. After a full hop or double jump fair/bair, fast fall as soon as you possibly can every time.

Ike does not benefit from lingering in the air after using these moves, even if you hit with them. Spamming fast fall to get to the ground will help frame trap air dodges and dodge punishes while being able to retaliate yourself. Full hop fair + fastfall is almost identical to short hop fair, with ~22 frames of endlag after the last hitbox before it autocancels.

Most air dodges are 30-32 frames with at least 7-9 frames of vulnerability at best if you miss right as the air dodge ends. Most times, you should be able to punish air dodges if you fast fall and retaliate quickly enough.

2. You can turn around during your initial dash. Utilize turnarounds/pivots at will.
    Ike can turnaround into fair, nair, or bair depending on the situation. Fair, bair, nair, and reverse nair leaves you 4 options out of a jump with a choice of nair and fair or bair being available at any given time. You can run towards them and turn around, or dash away and turnaround.

By the time you jump, you have the choice of how the jump momentum will work. For instance, you can dash away and turn around into an approaching fair or a retreating fair or nair.

Mix this up with ground options, empty hops, dashes (Ike has a decent empty dash and dash+shield), and delayed attacks, and you can make yourself more unpredictable. When fresh, spaced fair and nair are safe and fresh bair for most spacings.

3. Use C-stick set to attack to optimize dtilt spacing.
    Along with jab, dtilt is one of Ike's best ground spacers. If you're landing from an attack or walking, dtilt carries your momentum for a little extra range when approaching or space when retreating.

Dtilt also works as a combo or trap starter. C-stick set to attack will allow easier dtilts without worrying about moving the control stick a certain way.

These are a few quick things that may help your play that shouldn't take much technical effort.

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about Ike's d-tilt spacing with c-stick. You said that it carries momentum from a walk and landing after an attack. Does it just extend the hitbox or does it actually cause Ike to slide a little bit?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have a question about Ike's d-tilt spacing with c-stick. You said that it carries momentum from a walk and landing after an attack. Does it just extend the hitbox or does it actually cause Ike to slide a little bit?
He just slides. It takes a moment for the dtilt to come out, so he gains a bit of extra reach from that.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
Great insight. I'd say the 1st point was my biggest hindsight; i relied wayy to much on autocancelled shorthop fairs and bairs to even think about the advantages of fastfalling. Thanks alot for taking time to write this san.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
A frame trap is when you attack a character when they are stuck in an animation that can't be cancelled or provides invulnerability. An example would be hitting an opponent the moment they hit the ground after being thrown, capitalizing on the player's inability to move his avatar due to the impact animation having priority. (They missed their tech, which provides movement and invulnerability)

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
@ san. san. I have a question about the above, and I know it's older advice but it's probably still apt...

I get a lot of mileage out of c-stick running u-smash. Is tilt-sticking worth giving that up for?

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
In my experience, switching c-stick to Attack comes with 2 major benefits to Ike. One is that he can perform his down tilt in either direction faster without a missed input causing a dash-attack (or U-tilt without jumping if you favor tap jump), and the other allows Ike to not lose momentum during Aerials. C-sticks used for aerials will apply counter-movement in whatever direction you hit the stick in while jumping which can throw off our aim when we are trying to do retreating f-airs, d-air while rising with a jump or b-airs on a air-dodging target, etc.

Whether it's worth giving up tilting smashes is up to you, but I can say from personal experience that you can perform a running u-smash very fast by hitting the shield button while running and instantly using OoS u-smash. The Shield actually doesn't have time to perform it's starting animation, so you don't have to worry about delaying your attack since OoS options override shield animation and you can still have the option to charge it when needing to psyche out your opponent. You can actually transition a sprint into any of Ike's OoS options this way, which is nice.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
@ san. san. I have a question about the above, and I know it's older advice but it's probably still apt...

I get a lot of mileage out of c-stick running u-smash. Is tilt-sticking worth giving that up for?
To get the most mileage out of usmash, you may need to run and then jump cancel into usmash sometimes. That's going to be difficult with smash stick unless you have tap jump on. I don't, so I just jump cancel and perform up smash manually. Overall it just depends on how comfortable you are for what you gain vs. what you lose.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'm willing to give it a try. At this point, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with Ike if I'm going to get any good with him. I'd like to play Ike, but always do so terribly that I can't justify it.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm willing to give it a try. At this point, I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong with Ike if I'm going to get any good with him. I'd like to play Ike, but always do so terribly that I can't justify it.
It's definitely the way to go IMO and greatly helped a lot of players, just don't want to push my opinions on others too much.

Arrei

Smash Lord
For me, using smash stick was definitely one of the biggest things I was "doing wrong" with Ike. Ike needs to be able to frequently change his position to maintain his space and trap opponents with, and not being able to back off and adjust my positioning in the middle of an Fair or Bair led me right into a lot of punishes.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
I'd highly recommend it. Ike gains a lot from the added mobility tilt-sticking your aerials gives you. I'm even starting to use it plus L jumping for spacing nairs(diagonal input with tilt stick.)

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
...Well, I can say it has helped me a little. Still feels very weird, but I tried it out for about 50 matches today and won roughly 84% of 'em (yeah, I know, for glory win-rates do not a tournament super pro make... but it 's something when I was doing nothing but losing with him earlier).

Figure that's putting me on the right track. I do find it odd though that late-game it seems like I'm constantly just finishing for a tilt or smash to kill, or a d-throw at very high percentages. Edgeguarding is possible but limited, I pretty much have to pick my option and go with it and hope for the best.

I want to continue improving with Ike. Growing dissatisfaction with Robin leaves me trying him as my replacement Fire Emblem character, but it feels like I don't quite get him right just yet.

Arrei

Smash Lord
As you get your opponent's percent up, almost every one of his moves becomes a kill move. His most reliable tools to close the stock will probably be Utilt, Bair, USmash, or an Eruption edgeguard, so you'll want to get good at using those, but he has so many more options too. Ftilt takes longer to kill than it used to but it's his longest reaching kill move besides FSmash, an airdodge-happy opponent can be ended with Uair, fastfalled if need be to catch them in its lingering frames, Fair is absolutely lethal offstage and can even kill from onstage following a read or punish, and dash attack, ooohhhhhh, dash attack. Opponents who are scared and trying to put distance between you are absolute cannon fodder for dash attack kills, especially after an Fthrow or Bthrow. Killed a Luigi who lingered beyond the ledge too long at 78% with it yesterday, with only 70% damage on me even.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Sounds pretty good. Maybe I should spend some time today learning the kill percents for those moves. Thanks for the thoughts!

Top Bottom