• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List / Chart 3.1 June Tier List [Borbs]

[Team Nostalgia] Borbs

Smash Rookie
This Tier list is outdated and bad, please refer to another one, as this one has many contradicting points that don't make sense, my years of research sadly did not play out how I intended. I disagree with many points I have made and would recommend a more official and honestly accurate tier list. Next one will have more effort in it I swear.

As somebody who has been a part of the smash community for many years, played each game, and played competitively, I thought I should share my tier list with you all.
I will be going through each character and their respective tiers, so lets get started. (Top Tiers -> Bottom tiers), Adjustments shown by the fighters placements are based off the official /r/smashbros tier list (January 2019, although by the time this is published its going to be obsolete xD) this one is based on update 3.1 rather than 3.0. This tier list is also highly subjective, however I would really appreciate constructive criticism.

Here are specific descriptions of each of the top 30. (Wasn't able to do them all, as there are way too many)
<also i'm aware this tier list probably has some issues, sorry in advance>
S TIER:

:ultpalutena:1 Palutena (+8): Despite not getting buffed by patch 3.1, I do believe that Palutena Is the best character in the game within the meta at the moment. Palutena has a highly flexible playstyle that can me both offensive and defensive and has many options that wall out many of the top-tiers. It also helps that her objective worst match-ups (Peach, Daisy, Pikachu, and Pichu) got nerfed pretty hard, taking out some of her fiercest competitors. Keep in mind though I do NOT think Palutena is broken in anyway, the game is relatively balanced and I do think she still has many flaws, but at the moment I do believe she is the best based on skill level and meta shown today.

:ultwolf:2 Wolf (+4): While a devisive choice, the push toward rush heavy characters and fast movement has really shown wolfs true potential. While he did receive minor nerfs, his shine being buffed to an actually usable move and the nerfing of Peach and Daisy has really improved his chances at winning tournaments. However Palutena and Shulk do counter his play-style very well, he has many options focusing around fast game-play and spacing.

:ultshulk:3 Shulk (+21): This is probably the most controversial opinion here, but I believe with years of research that Shulk is a top-tier. With Shulk dominating in many locals and coastals, and with good showings at regionals as well, he has proven himself to be well worth the title of top tier. Having many options with the different arts is already a plus, however being able to change arts in hit stun allows for many creative escape options for combos, he overall has a lot of tech skill and the skills of many up and coming players have shown the results necessary for me to consider him a top tier.

:ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf:4 Pokémon Trainer (+11): This may come as a surprise to none, but Pokémon Trainer is in S tier as well, with versatility with their Pokémon switching and movement options they have the tools necessary to compete in most situations, using Squirtle early game, Ivysaur for kills and spacing, and Charizard for recovery. Because of the three-in-one dynamic, there are not many characters that can win just by match-up.

A Tier:

:ultpikachu: 5 Pickachu (~0): Pickachu has stayed the same, although his debatably bad match-up against Peach and Daisy has been remedied, he suffers from representation, with Esam and select local players showing his worth. Pickachu does have amazing options and is very flexible, justifying his placement.

:ultpeach:6 Peach (-5): Peach has been nerfed pretty hard with the patch, hurting her K.O powers and beckthrow kill, as well as making picking turnips not the safest option. She still has many tools that keep her in the higher tiers, in order to kill players need to use more skill than ever. With Peach already being an incredibly high skill based character, increasing the gap is going to hurt her results and in turn her placement on the tier list. If players improve and it becomes more common to play her, then her placement would see an increasement.

:ultdaisy:7 Daisy (-6): She suffers from the same issue as peach, however her animations are different and have slightly larger hit boxes, but not by much. this placement is really nitpicky.

:ultroy:8 Roy (+8): Roy's placement is largely due to having better specials than Chrom in addition to early K.O setups that are growing with the fast-paces rushdown style that the meta is shifting torwards. overall good character.

:ultpichu:9 Pichu (-8): This character got gutted like a deer... too gruesome? Pichu now deals much more damage to herself, as well as losing his relatively safe down smash and forward smash. On top of everything her hitbox is bigger, this takes away one of her best tools, being smol. Overall her placement is being generous, largely due to how badly she got nerfed.

:ultike:10 Ike (-3): Ike is still a great character and has many options that keep him relevant in todays meta, however with more and more ways to gimp Ike and Ike players relying on being in the air to kill, his placement is understandable.

:ultchrom:11 Chrom (+5): While the chromicide and other tools have been removed, he still has a great combo game and amazing killing tools, however I don;t see him rising any further due to the evolution of gimping methods being found by many of the higher tier characters.

:ultfox:12 Fox (~0): Has speed, fast kill options, and versitility, however his lack of range and bad grabs are a bummer and hurt him, his up-smash and speed overall keep him relevant.

:ultwario:13 Wario (+1): He has great combo game and good gimp game, however his lack of speed and lower than average range keeps him around this area on the tier list.

:ultken:14 Ken (+28): Ken recently recieved some crazy buffs on his command moves, and the community is starting to push this characters capabilitys to the limit, although I won't put him up higher due to lack of representation

:ultinkling::ultinklingboy:15 Inklings (-11): To be serious here, Inklings are the "Melee Fox" of this game, with excellent kill confirms and a lot of optimization left to be discovered, however due to lack of playing and results, they have fallen down the tiers.

:ultlucina:16 Lucina (-13): She has many options available to her, however the with the gimping meta being optimized and lack of placements, she has fallen down from her shaky podium.

:ultmiifighters:S Miis (N/A): The Miis in general have a lot of customization, although appearance has very little affect on the game so I'll leave it here.

:ultswordfighter:17 Mii Sword Fighter (+20) <Customs enabled>: Mii swordfighter has many kill confirms, usually from tornado to hero spin, although it may seem like a stretch, many people have used this for edge-guarding and more, giving the character a reliable kill move as well as spacer, although the characters speed is lacking.

:ultolimar:18 Olimar: His recovery nerf hit him very hard, and in a very rush down and gimp heavy meta, patch 3.1 nerfs didn't help at all.

:ultmarth:19 Marth: His small tipper hitbox and lack of reliable kill setups is whats keeping Marth from being higher up.

:ultluigi:20 Luigi: Amazing grab game and out of combo options, however the mediocre recovery and lack of truly reliable kills filters this character to a grappler, which are not very good in this meta.

:ultivysaur:21 Ivysaur: Great kill moves, but is still summarized to a grappler, also has a hard time recovering as well as getting in early percent.

:ultlink:22 Link: Has mixups and edgeguarding tactics with bombs, as well as good smash attacks, but has trouble getting juggles and getting back to the stage.

:ultyoshi:23 Yoshi; Has great range, damage, and juggling tools, however he lacks proper representation to prove that his is anything higher than low-high tier.

:ultrosalina:24 Rosalina & Luma: Great range and luma mix-ups, in addition to great juggle tools, strong splash attacks, and edge-guarding. her recovery isn't the best though.

B Tier:

:ultdarksamus:25 Dark Samus: Higher than Samus due to acceleration and better roll, also it has overall better hurt-boxes.

:ultsamus:26 Samus: Samus has many tricks up her sleeve that keep her viable, being her amazing zoning tools and recovery. She's an amazing tank, however the meta really hurts tanky characters the most.

:ultrobin::ultrobinf:27 Robin: Another tanky character, however Robin has their blade which allows them to space and close gaps with ease, however that is an unrealistic expectation as Robin sports one of the worst running speeds, besides that though robin also has some of the best projectiles in the game, and would really be great on a decently fast character.

:ultdoc:28 Dr Mario: As B-reverse tech becomes more common and rush down characters become the standard, Dr Mario's perks begin to show light, with a overall better F-air, better projectile that can combo into moves, and a down-throw kill confirm, Dr Mario has what it takes to compete in most match-ups. However one tragic flaw keeps him from being a high-tier, and that's his atrocious recovery. His recovery is so easy to edge-guard, that you can really take advantage of Dr Mario's own great edge-guarding without being super safe.

:ultsnake:29 Snake: Snake has some of the best projectiles in the game, however snakes slower and more skill based game-play has shown many issues against top-tiers like Palutena and Wolf, and overall Snake has little results at the moment, with most people switching, so its hard to say Snake is a top-tier without proper supporting evidence.

:ultfalcon:30 Captain Falcon: Captain Falcon has crazy combo game, rivaling if not outright beating many top tiers, however with the skill gap being so great its hard to say whether he is really that good. Players like Fatality and others have proven his potential, however with the skill gap shown its hard to say whether the character is good, or the players playing him are.

-Fin of character specific descriptions-

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
:ultsnake:29 Snake: Snake has some of the best projectiles in the game, however snakes slower and more skill based game-play has shown many issues against top-tiers like Palutena and Wolf, and overall Snake has little results at the moment, with most people switching, so its hard to say Snake is a top-tier without proper supporting evidence.
What? Little results? People switching? Even if you remove co-mains like Mr. R and Salem from the picture, Ally, MVD, and several other prominent solo Snake mains are getting top 8s and winning 500 man tournaments all over the place. Barely having to switch off, if at all. He's a strong contender for #1 in the game right now.

Also hard disagreements on a lot of other placements. Luigi's recovery isn't just mediocre, it's abysmal without a misfire. Mario has nutty combos and a better recovery than Doc, with edgeguarding that's better. You rank Ken super high because he got big buffs, but so did Sheik, Diddy, and Lucario. Cloud and the Belmonts have a bad recovery, but still can be extremely oppressive onstage. Sorry man, I can't get behind this.

D

Deleted member

Let me say this - I'm gonna have to disagree on a lotta placements. Multiple Snakes have won national tournaments, and if not - very high placings. I also can't see why Pokemon Trainer is S. As one with an extremely high learning curve, yes Trainer has a lot of strengths, but characters like Lucina and Palutena have more prominent strengths than Trainer. He/She's still pretty high (Middle of A), but doesn't really count as among the BEST characters in the game. Ganondorf is pretty weirdly placed here - yes, he's unarguably better than 4 and Brawl, plus he got greater range on smash attacks with his swords, he's still extremely polarizing with his sluggish speed and exploitable recovery. Don't count on Nairo's victory vs. Light - a set of more consistent, prolific results are needed if you want to place him higher.

I'm going to have to disagree on a lot of other placements as well - you put a lot of work on this, but I think you're over/underestimating a lot of characters in the list here and haven't seen the full light of attributes.

Top Bottom