• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2 Newly Discovered Techniques

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
So I found these out messing around with Link. I'm not sure exactly how useful they'll be but I think with proper application they might atleast add something to Toon Link's game.

1. Falling Up B
Run to the edge of a platform or stage and just as you are approaching the edge quickly press Up B. Be careful not to jump. If you time it just right, Toon Link will begin his normal Up B on the ground but will slide off the edge of the platform or stage. If you do this off the stage you can DI toward the stage and Toon Link will begin his Up B but grab the ledge half-way through. This technique was possible in Melee but this is the first time I've seen it in Brawl. The timing is pretty tricky. If you do it too early you'll do the regular standing Up B and if you do it too late you'll do the jumping Up B. If you hold B for too long the Up B will cancel as you leave the ledge giving you a small flash of light but no attack. When you do it right often Link will do his Up B scream twice in rapid succesion. It's really creepy. I'm not sure how useful this will be. Using it to grab the ledge is about the same speed as hugging and a bit more dangerous if you screw it up. But I have to say, holding a bomb then doing this off the edge of a stage with the double scream and having the bomb blow up in your hands during the invincibility frames leaving Toon Link unscathed is probably the most terrifying thing I've seen in my life.

2. Boomerang Slide
Using the same idea as the first one, if you run toward the edge of a stage or platform and just as you are about to step off it throw your boomerang, for some inexplicable reason Toon Link gets a boost in his horizontal momentum. This works whether you actually have your boomerang with you or not. This seems actually pretty useful for edgeguarding. If you send your boomerang toward them and they attempt to dodge it, you're close behind to hit them. It also just speeds you up in general on platform stages. You'll notice if you're doing it right.

If you're having trouble with these, don't be discouraged because the timing is pretty difficult. I don't have the equipment to make a proper video so if someone out there figures these out and could make a video it'd be great.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
The second one is really useful (and pretty easy), but I can't manage to do the first one more than once out of 20 attempts.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
yeah the first is pretty hard to pull off but looks pretty sweet. I don't know if it's going to be useful for anything at all.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I can't make a video of any quality. If someone else can do these well and would make a video I'll add them to the thread. The second one I think could be very useful. It moves him faster for edgeguarding than just jumping off would.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
the boomerange opened a lot of options for me. it gets me on the edge+edgeguards whie i still got my jumps. good stuff thanks bro

Top Bottom