• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

♥ Falco Video Critique Please ♥

SjowMeYourMoves

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm a falco player from a small town near Toronto, Ontario and I've been playing competitive smash for somewhere between 6-12 months. I don't travel to Toronto nearly as much as I want to because of expenses but I've helped build a decent smash community where I live.

I have 3 videos here I would just like some criticism on, and I'm sorry for some of the bad quality we don't have a good recording setup yet we are working on getting a good quality mic+capture card. If anyone has advice for a capture card too that would be great just send me a PM.

https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=p2CCaGYZ13c&list=UUaFB-dfWEStzdbdACMvdVDw
https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=T0h-jcnIt4E&list=UUaFB-dfWEStzdbdACMvdVDw
https:// www .youtube.com/watch?v=BRV2jPDb67M&list=UUaFB-dfWEStzdbdACMvdVDw

The first video is Falco vs Captain Falcon
The second video is Falco vs Fox
The third video is Falco vs Sheik(one of the hardest matches for me)

I don't have enough posts to post links yet so sorry for this format as well!
Thanks for reading!

I posted this in the Falco Video Thread but I figured more views = more answers. Please delete if double post is bad.

JNova

Smash Rookie
Just watched the first match. Maybe I watch the other ones later.

In my opinion, you do rather well. Being calm in Neutral and hitting edgeguards (which is rather easy against falcon, but ok).

You can punish Falcon way harder if you get Shine-Wavedash consistently. Either you follow up with another dair-shine at 0%-50% or put pressure on the Falcon who techs on the platform with shine or wavedash on the platform -> tech-chase. Feel free to do rising up-airs under the platform to get a nice shield poke, if you think you can't follow up with something else.

(I'm pretty sure, you practiced dair-shine - wavedash - dair-shine, but in an actual match you mess up the wavedash)

After 50% (this is where d-air can be teched) you want to hit falcon off stage and keep edgeguarding him. Most easily done by Shine -> shine-bair or just bair. Getting a d-air near the edge is a good option aswell, as you can cover his tech-options quite well.
Most beginners are not used to teching Falco's d-air after 50%. Punish this accordingly.

I noticed your laser game is rather ... stiff.
Most of the time you SHL at one spot and try to get an aerial in. At that time Falcon is already gone somewhere else. Try to cover more space with your lasers by jumping much farther while SHL'ing.
Be aware of what you want from the SHL. Do you want to be defensive with it, covering his SHFFL/Grab approaches? Do you want to keep the opponent at the ledge? Do you want to go in with a shine/d-air/grab?
For whatever reason you want to use your SHL, space it correctly, because the stun of the laser is not that long.

Though I like your SHL wavedash backs, it's always a nice way to feel out your opponent, but be aware that you give up alot of stage advantage and before you know it, you are at the edge.

Oh, and I want to point one bad habit of many who are learning spacies (like me). That Jab -> D-Tilt on Shield. It's completely unsafe, if you can't get a shield poke and you get obvious about it. Basically the only thing the Falcon has to do is, shielding, waiting for you to do the D-Tilt and knee you in your face.

EDIT: Rather use Jab->Jab, Jab->Grab, Jab->Shine. Tho if your opponent's shield is small enough, feel free to get that shield poke

Last edited:

SjowMeYourMoves

Smash Rookie
Ya I said I couldn't post links because of my post count was hoping people would just remove the spaces around the www
JNova thank you for the reply it was very helpful. If you only watch one of the others watch #3 please as I have a lot more trouble vs Sheik than anybody else. As for the laser game, sometimes I feel like I can't approach without doing SHL ---> aerial-shine so that's why I would stay in place and shoot 1-2 lasers so they would either stay in shield or change their position, usually jumping. You make a good point about losing stage position with SHL wavedash back.

EDIT: I'm definitely working on waveshining more consistently as well

Last edited:

JNova

Smash Rookie
Ya I said I couldn't post links because of my post count was hoping people would just remove the spaces around the www
JNova thank you for the reply it was very helpful. If you only watch one of the others watch #3 please as I have a lot more trouble vs Sheik than anybody else.
I do think you do rather well against shiek, better than against Fox or Falcon, because Sheiks are usually more defensive and you feel more confident going in.

As for the laser game, sometimes I feel like I can't approach without doing SHL ---> aerial-shine...
I suggest you forget the idea of not having an approach without SHL. Try learning how to approach with out lasers, just by putting the fear into the opponent with either Aerials or Grab at first. This is one of the first mix-ups, somewhat. Aerial your opponent a bunch of times and if you see the want to shield your approach, just go for a grab (this is better done on small stages like BF or YS). I mean, Fox doesn't have that SHL, which stuns and he does quite well. Furthermore Mango is one of the best Falcos (imo) and he rarely uses Lasers. Watch how he applies pressure on the opponent without using SHL. More importantly, when DOES he use his laser

...so that's why I would stay in place and shoot 1-2 lasers so they would either stay in shield or change their position, usually jumping.
That's generally a good idea/tactic. People who are either in Shield, Platforms or Air have less options. It shows, you control them. Feed on that control as much as possible.
  • If the are on the platform, wait for them to come down, watch how do the come down (Sheik usually tries to b-air, f-air you), space and punish accordingly; get center stage as fast as possible (don't be toooo obvious about that), showing your opponent, if he comes down he will get laser'd again
  • If the are in the air, don't attack them right away. I noticed you you really want to d-air them, which is ok, but not a good idea if they are in low%. Try to put a wall of b-airs. Force them to the ledge and using their Double Jump (if they do, for the love of god, punish them as hard as you can). You can even try Up-Air (Sheik gets juggled really hard). If you want to keep things safe, wait for them to come down either on the platform or on the ground
  • I'm pretty sure, you know what to do if they are stupid enough to stay in shield
You make a good point about losing stage position with SHL wavedash back.

EDIT: I'm definitely working on waveshining more consistently as well
Few things:
Learn how to act OoS. You roll way too much.

If you get the d-air on Sheik, don't always shine. Depending on where you land, grab them or better yet Up-Tilt them. At Mid-High% Shine usually puts floaties way too high to get a nice follow-up. Up-Tilt gets you an almost guaranteed b-air . Better yet, on stages like BF or YS with platforms, you can do Up-Tilt -> Jump -> Shine -> Waveland on platform -> something like F-Smash/run off d-air...
Practice against a lvl 1 cpu marth and think about your basic combos you want to go for.

At low% you want to d-air Sheik, covering her Crouch Cancel options. At Mid-High% you rather want to go for n-air and b-air, sending Sheik off-stage/to the ledge. At Mid-High% she can't CC you that well.

Don't jab Sheik (or other good CCers like Samus) if they aren't in their shield. A smart Sheik will CC down-smash you into the oblivion, if you get too obvious about your jabs.
At High% you might want to do Jab -> f-smash/b-air. Especially if you think the Sheik will go for a grab.

The most important thing imo is, learn how to edgeguard Sheik. Watch the video again. Look how often you got Sheik into a edgeguard situation and didn't convert. Considering how you played the Neutral Game, you could have 2-3Stocked her.
Watch how PPMD edgeguards M2k at SKATR 3.
Usually you want to cover the ledge and get Sheik to recover on stage and punish her HUUUUGE recovery lag.
I think you probably know that, but you are way to scared of Sheik's fair if you are on the ledge.
In that case abuse your invincibility on the ledge (I know it's scary, but you have to try it)

EDIT: In general watch PPMD's Falco. He is a veeeeery good example on how to play Falco

Last edited:

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I watched the first one and this is what I think

Your edguguard game was excellent keep it up
I feel your get ups could use a little more creativity
Your punish game would be a lot better if you wavedash into your shine
Try and put some more nairs in there i see alot of bairs which is good but you wanna have a balence between lasers and defense along with offence
Dont roll unless you absolutly have to bad habit
you jump alot aswell work on that habit too
I think you got the overall feel of falco pretty well just work on grasping the knowlage on the small details and practice

Top Bottom