• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Zero's Advice: General Matchup Q&A

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Not a bad match you are playing the matchup right for the most part.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I need to put up more. I think I have some against DK and fox. (Since DK is our current discussion and all)

And yes, use of pellets was spot on. I personally would have used more MB. But that's just my playstyle.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To all Mega Mans out there, the Rosalina sub-forum has a match-up discussion thread all set up to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Mega Man. Got anything to share for the Rosalina vs. Mega Man match-up? Then head to the following thread link...

http://smashboards.com/threads/411703/

In terms of the rules, be sure to go to the directory thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/404194/

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
could you please tell what can I do to improve this MU? I think I need to try ledgetrumping

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Before I forget. Just had a long sparring match vs Ryu last night.

• You can crouch under jab, dash grab, hado, shakenetsu, and probably cl.lp. You can crouch the donkey kick, but there's a hitbox on his body and the grounded leg as well.
  • At close range and low %, possibly SDI shakenetsu towards Ryu and utilt through it. I think the last hitbox is further forward so if you're deep in it, you won't get launched = frame advantage = utilt.
  • Ryu's SH spacing game and fast fall is amazing. Battlefield felt like a bad choice because of his platform movement allows for fast fall FAir or NAir which gets him a lot of reward on hit. Lylat would have been worse if it weren't for the tilt.
  • Anti-air his FAir jump in and shield>utilt soft NAirs that don't cross up. Spaced FAir is safe.
  • Getting grabbed is better than getting TSRK'd, but his pummel and throws hurt and positional advantage = great for Ryu. Hado traps, Cr.lk>TSRK punishing ledge getups. Scary stuff.
  • Speaking of TSRK, utilt punish it. The shield push puts you almost at the perfect space to do it.
  • Back air beats Tatsu and FA (duh but yeah...) Edge guard away.
  • MB and CB go underneath Hado. Item MB clashes.
  • If you call a hado, FH diagonal MB>utilt is a great punish from midrange.
  • DI FAir away to avoid it linking into itself for an easy 28%.
  • Tatsu edge guard is mean when you are forced to up-B straight vertical.
  • Dsmash is safe on block. Don't try to punish.
  • Utilt at unsafe % is never worth it. Usmash instead.
  • Tatsu is great vs pellets. Bad vs shield.
I think that's all I have for now. A lot of it is duh, but random thoughts.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Thanks for the info, this will be super helpful.

But, I'm still new to Ryu... And maybe others are too? What do those abbreviations mean?

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Cl. Lp is light utilt (elbow)
Donkey kick is fsmash
Hado = Hadoken
Shakenetsu = red Hadoken
TSRK= true Shoryuken = input Shoryuken (up-B)
Cr. Lk = light dtilt
FA= focus attack = down-B
Tatsu = Tatsumaki = side-B

I think that's all I used. Cr. MK and cr. HK are heavy dtilt and dsmash, but I used dsmash instead because I'm a SF scrub.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Ryu's hurt and hit box on his fsmash extends well beyond his foot. I've Mega Uppered and connected when it looked like I really shouldn't have.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I just space ryu from a distance. And MB goes under hado. So I just kinda chill like that. And if he aprpaches from above he eats a tornado.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
He has a slow air movement speed which really helps all mega matchups. Keep him in the air easier with air shooter and stifles his aerial approach options.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some MUs I'd love to talk about sometime. I am either unfamiliar with them and lack experience, think they could give Mega Man a tough time, or I'm just plain curious: :4greninja::4tlink::4pit::4darkpit::4olimar::4lucario::4bowser::4wario::4pacman::4mario::4jigglypuff::4gaw:

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
He Out Spaces US And Has The HOO ha. I find him incredibly easy to gimp tho. I usually just wait for him to approach with an Ill timed over b. And do some grab shenanigans. But his gyro, once held really seems to mess with their flow. Plus, It stays out and returns to the stage if we do it it and stuff.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
I find Rob one of the hardest matchups. Discuss?
I suck at dealing with ROB, but I can tell you we've got some pretty useful things agaisn't him.

The most important thing vs ROB is knowing how to deal with the Gyro, and Mega Man can definitely use it for his own advantage, just picking it up and then using Specs (we got 3 more projectiles to camp him, his laser is not enough) will limit his options heavily.
You don't really want to be in the close combat scenario on the ground, MM lacks many option to beat ROB out, but in the air is a different story, ROB's aerial are pretty laggy and you can mess him up with the range on yours, but be careful of the huge area that his NAir covers.

Off stage both robots are sitting ducks, but at the very least Mega can do something to mix his recovery up. DON'T GO TO THE LEDGE UNLESS YOU HAVE TO, ROB can put you on a pretty tight situation where to put the Gyro in front of you and they go for a meteor, pretty scary stuff. Abuse his recovery with some Slash Claws or Air Shooters.

I feel like as the time and experiences goes on, ROB's tools and options become more and more predictable, I can see the MU having MM as the overall winner by a little bit, you just need to understand that most of ROB options, while powerful, are not as good as ours.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
R.O.B. is an annoying fight alright, but I don't think he's a bad matchup at all, I think we win his one nice and easy.

• We aren't exactly known for our close combat skills, but ROB is not the best at Melee himself. His jab sucks, his tilts are pretty slow and have mediocre range (dtilt being a fast one tho, its pretty good), his grab range is so-so, and his smash attacks are all pretty laggy for the most part. We are a heavy fast faller who is combo food, but ROB is even bigger than us and even heavier. With his giant size and weight, I find that we can rack up a bit more damage than usual with Dthrow > Bair and its easier to hit him with Fullhop Metal Blade > Mega Upper as a kill confirm. Overall, would say ROB is just a wee bit better at melee though, only because of his dtilt and hoo hah.
  • ROB's air game kinda sucks, and one of his biggest weaknesses is that he has a lot of trouble safely landing back on the ground without getting juggled. His only quick aerials are Fair and Uair (which only protects his head), all his others are all pretty laggy and do a generally poor job of protecting him while airborne. He can use his trusty Nair which has minimal landing lag but its a little slow to come out and you can straight up challenge it with Uair. Speaking of Uair, I looooove using falling Uairs quite a bit in this matchup and everytime I get ROB airborne I blast away with it, ROB is pretty floaty for a big guy and I find myself killing him the most with this aside from gimping him.
  • ROB's recovery is weak as it lacks any protective hitbox and is slow moving, and he's essentially forced to recover low. Recovering high with ROB is usually not a good idea since again, his landing options suck and he's asking to be Uaired if he does. If he recovers low pick up a metal blade and turn on leaf shield/plant barrier, he has to go through both lol. You can also just straight up spike him with Dair, he's too big and slow to avoid it. Some ROBs wll attempt to shoot a gyro or laser at you before flying, but if you see it coming just powershield it.
  • Lemons harass him at mid-range once you get inside. Mega Man laughs at characters lacking mobility and ROB is no exception. To do eal with the gyro, you shoot it with lemons to make it go away, or toss metal blades to zip past them and trade with ROB. In my experience a few days ago, Leaf Shield blocked a gyro when I had it up and it just sat in front of me so I could pick it up (although really, I do not recommend grabbing the gyro unles he's offstage or if you know you can hit him, its a trap since your options are limited while holding it), that's something to take note of. He does outspace us with Lasers, but I don't consider them an issue unless they're fully charged. Uncharged lasers only do 4% and he has to qait for quite some time to use it again if he burns it.
There's no way its in ROB's favor at all imo. Its not an easy matchup by any means, but I'm still gonna give the edge to Mega Man here. 60:40 our favor.

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Yeh I come across a ROB once in a blue moon and they're usually good. Does seem like his aerial approaches suffer to air shooter and I need to use his gyro against him more.

Dsmash, usmash, hoo ha and his side B all feel super ****in strong when they're used properly. I dunno if it's nair but one of his aerials has like no endlag I was getting caught in a falling aerial --> dsmash consistently.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
ROB's NAir is hard to get used to, the startup baits you to attack him since it's so long, be careful with that. But even then, if you PS it you can get an easy Mega Upper onto him, so try to get your timing down

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I faced mistereric on the ladder. He is one of the best robs out there and he gave me some tips on the matchup (he spanked me obviously).

I didn't play my best against him by any means. Rob is surprisingly quick and you need to watch out for Usmash kills as well as the hoo hah. You want to try to get in to max pellet range, when you are further away he generally out spams us. Too close and he grabs and other shenanigans. Watch out for his aerials because they hit really hard

we have to avoid his projectiles and use his large size against him. Falling uairs are great and zigma uppers work really well.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think it is in our favor as well.

You are using way too many fsmashes and not enough pellets. Also that is a pretty bad captain you were playing against

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
The CF MU might look difficult on paper, but then you apply the real enviroment fights.

Lemons>Dash Grab, that means a LOT vs Falcon.
Being Fast Faller<Air Shooter, the Captain can be juggled easily with the tornados, and because of his weight he's forced to eat almost the entire damage (Easy 30% on certain situations)
Hard Knuckle/Slash Claw>Everything that CF has off stage.

We can also recover from high so the spike it's not an option, and the lemons keep him away, although his speed and weight makes the Metal Blade a little bit of a bad option.

Still, 60:40 if I rate this MU

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Problem I think without the metal blade is that damage is a lot harder to rack up, and he really does kick ass going into those mb startups. Also CF's fsmash punishes on usmash/utilt's massive endlag is easy and huge.

To me it always feels like CFalcs gets momentum and keeps it way easier, and MB being kinda crappy (he can react to z1gma so easily) means getting a kill is that bit tougher.

50/50 maybe... Probably one of the few that's actually solidly against mega. Having the tools is okay, but falcs spends loads of time dashing around in his shield and nullifies some of mega's most consistent kill setups. Whereas he can get you into a scary situation (diagonally above him, often offstage) with a dash into MB read, or a dash out of shield on lemons. All easily done on reaction. As falcs learn the matchup (a rarer one) I'm sure more will realise that foxtrotting is bad and safe grab and jab approaches are successful as hell.

If there's anything that keeps him in check it's gotta be his recovery.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I don't think I have faced a falcon that I felt I couldn't win I think it is a good matchup for is. Pellets stop almost all of his approaches except powershielding walk/run ups.
We can gimp him with LS and jab locks to upper are easy on him.
60-40 for the mega man

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I don't think I have faced a falcon that I felt I couldn't win I think it is a good matchup for is. Pellets stop almost all of his approaches except powershielding walk/run ups.
60-40 for the mega man
I'm not so sure.

I mean, i know i was facing people way above my level, but i got to practice with a few of the top players in my region, and while i was keeping it an even match in the beggining, one mistake is all it took for Falcon to get a kill. I am actually affraid of using pellets against them more than anything, because Falcon would literally run and get a punish in the smallest of opportunities, and it's tough to escape his juggles. Our recovery is pretty good, but if he guesses right ONE time, his moves have enough knockback to force us to spend our DJ and then easily kill us, or just kill us at the right percent, so while we do edgeguard him well, i would say it's the same for him.

I don't think this MU is impossible, and again, i am not on the same level as the people i played, but still, i don't think Megaman has that big of an advantadge against Falcon.

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
60-40 for the mega man
How often in a match do you find that falcs goes off stage where he's low down enough and far enough away that LS is actually viable? It's really situational and the setup is way more likely at high %s. Most of Mega's knockback is diagonal up.

Feel free to post matches against some solid Falcons who know the matchup, but to me it seems workable but unfavourable. Much less reward, much more consistency required to stay in it. Landing with mega isn't great because of a bad dair and fair/bair having considerable endlag too. Punish windows that are normally okay are like massive gaping holes when you have someone as fast and reactionary as falcs in my experience.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
How often in a match do you find that falcs goes off stage where he's low down enough and far enough away that LS is actually viable? It's really situational and the setup is way more likely at high %s. Most of Mega's knockback is diagonal up.

Feel free to post matches against some solid Falcons who know the matchup, but to me it seems workable but unfavourable. Much less reward, much more consistency required to stay in it. Landing with mega isn't great because of a bad dair and fair/bair having considerable endlag too. Punish windows that are normally okay are like massive gaping holes when you have someone as fast and reactionary as falcs in my experience.
That's why you need to play extremely defensive with Megaman

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I think mega has the advantage. I rarely lose to one. And I play a pretty solid falcon often. Next time I play him, I'll u
Post a video..

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I can't upload any that are longer than 3 minutes unless I can send them to someone to upload. If I get one I'll post it if I can. On anthers ladder I rarely lose to a falcon even if they are a few ranks above me.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Mewtwo is a pretty easy matchup overall for MM: We ca easily juggle him, and Mewtwo being so tall just makes easier to Bair him from the ground on the other side.. he can use confusion against our projectiles and that hurts fsmash a lot, and his usmash make it a bit hard for us to hit him with an uair while Mewtwo is on the ground

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I just badger mewtwo with lemons until I get the opportunity to kill him. I've yet to play a good one. They all just roll and spam shadow ball.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I know it plows trough our projectiles, but does a fully charged Shadow Ball does as much shield damage as Samus's Charge Shot?

Just wondering cause never fought a Mewtwo main either, they also seem to be unexistant in my region.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Also I forgot to mention mewtwo can easily punish our landings with shadowball, so using rush on stage is a bit dagerous

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So is this thread talking about Mewtwo as well now? Because I called dibs on this match up first. :smirk:

Top Bottom