• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Zero's Advice: General Matchup Q&A

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've fought only a few good peach's there just aren't many this time around.

If you can do customs danger wrap does wonders.

Also she is easy to gimp if you can hit her after the second jump because she has pretty bad vertical recovery. Also up smash catches her frequently.

Greward

Smash Lord
Mega should beat peach, he has good tools against float (bair, fair, pellets, even up air).
She's pretty slow in the ground so projectiles do annoy her. Just be wary to counter her floating with an appropiatedly spaced aerial move. She can't airdodge while in float so that's it.
Pick big stages, you don't want to fight peach in small places because if she gets in it's very hard to do anything.
Overall peach matchup as any character is about keeping her out of your face. and Mega is no exception. She needs to be up close and personal to use her massive combos.
If you are in shield against her dair stuff you can try to usmash out of shield but it doesn't really work lol it's better to roll out or even upB out of shield to try and gain some room.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
:4peach:... now that's a character I don't see very often so apologize if some parts of this are wrong.

First of all, ALWAYS remember Peach's float, I can't tell you how many players forget about it and fell in the bait. But onto the specific MU:

The Man has a lot of things going of him, he dies pretty late because of the few kill options she has, it can screw her floating abilities with Air Shooter/Danger Wrap (DAir destroys Danger Wrap tho, so don't feel too confident into it), Metal Blade it's really annoying and she dies pretty early out of Mega Upper.
Buuuuuut not everything in this MU it's happy. Mostly because of Peach's float. The Man does not have an attack that can cover easily diagonal angles (MB has barely even KB) so we have to worry about her landing, while at the same she can ignore some of the more traditional "Pew pew pew" lemons and we're forced to shield. But at the same time, if she touches the shield, yes getting some heavy punish if not spaced perfectly.
Buuuuuuuut the thing that I think make this MU even is her ability to screw up our recovery with her float. Recovering high? Float high enough. Low? Same thing. If she reads the route we are taking, we can potentially be screwed much earlier than normally.

5-5, Mega Man has the punishes and spacing, Peach has her float

Woohoo982

Smash Apprentice
Uh, just going to touch on the G&W Matchup here:
Megaman will lose. Probably not badly, but will lose.
He's full of energy projectiles, his F-Smash can be bucketed(that's bad for you) and G&W loves when you go in the air.
To be fair, his aerial game is good, but G&W has wind boxes and stuff. U-Air is dangerous for us though.
You'd want to take us to a stage where there aren't platforms or platforms close to ceiling, such as FD and Duck Hunt. Delfina isn't that great for us either.
Overall, i'd say the matchup is 35:65, G&W's favour.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
He's full of energy projectiles, his F-Smash can be bucketed(that's bad for you) and G&W loves when you go in the air.
To be fair, his aerial game is good, but G&W has wind boxes and stuff. U-Air is dangerous for us though.
You'd want to take us to a stage where there aren't platforms or platforms close to ceiling, such as FD and Duck Hunt. Delfina isn't that great for us either.
While I can agree on the ceiling part (dem windboxes), you seem to forget that Metal Blades and Leaf Shield exist, and that our strongests attacks that aren't Charged Shots are not energy-based. And I can't even remember if we discussed G&W yet. Are you guys discussing Mega Man or something like that ?

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know Metal Blade and Leaf Shield counted as energy projectiles. Also I don't think it'll be productive at all absorbing the lemons or Crash bombs. Danger Wrap I can see though.

also I see you're sticking to the idea of a Megaman player going full ****** and using Fsmash against G&W (to be honest you shouldn't use Fsmash much at all with megaman) and forgetting Megaman's other kill moves that kill you much earlier than your against us.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Never use Fsmash against G&W's it makes a crazy strong bucket.

MB isn't energy cause ness can't absorb it, don't think leaf shield is either.

The crash Bomb explosion is energy based.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
How are you even approaching mega man in the first place?
You have the aerial mobility to jump over pellets, but your aerials have so much landing lag and startup that it almost doesn't matter.

If you try to duck under pellets, here's a metal blade for your trouble.

I also don't see how G&W will be able to land a kil consistently against a mega man outside of edgeguarding.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Mario's got some combos that sometimes trap me and overwhelm me for very easy kills. I hate getting dunked by him. I would agree that it's not a blowout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FPe2IAAmts

I managed to do well against a Sheik. It's wifi so, ya know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD4Cc-WwVQM

I had my eyes on her aerial movement to keep my lemon wall spacing, liberal use of Leaf Sheild to stop some of the close range rushing, trying my best to avoid landing lag and keep moving, using up-angled MB and poking with Fair to challenge the aerial approach. I misjudged my distance at the end but I won the next match.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

TriTails

Smash Lord
Yo Blue Bombers!

Us Luigi boards are discussing how the Super Fighting Robot fares against the green plumber over here!

Drop in if you have things to share! We'll see who comes out victorious! Fire Jump Punch or Mega Upper!

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Wow! Mega is getting a lot of attention in the MU-verse this week. Love it! :D

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
Guys, does anyone know how to deal with against custom Sonic as Megaman? For Vanilla Sonic I was fine, pelleting to stop approaches, but Sonic's custom special that grounds people ended up going above my pellets and grounding me. Also what customs should I go? I was doing pretty bad with Rush so I switched to Tornado Hold and tried to go for more edge guards and switch up my play style but I still lost.Anyone got any advice?

Greward

Smash Lord
Guys, does anyone know how to deal with against custom Sonic as Megaman? For Vanilla Sonic I was fine, pelleting to stop approaches, but Sonic's custom special that grounds people ended up going above my pellets and grounding me. Also what customs should I go? I was doing pretty bad with Rush so I switched to Tornado Hold and tried to go for more edge guards and switch up my play style but I still lost.Anyone got any advice?
Try to stay out of range of it. Up air works fine to beat it, probably up smash too. The only time I played against it in tournament I just tried to avoid it or up air against it.
It's very annoying really, sonic is definitely easier with customs off lol

zeezee

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-0319-8479
Greetings from the Villager boards Mega Mains!
I created a video that goes really in depth on the Villager X Mega Man match-up and while the guide was specifically made for Villager players, I believe it can give you guys a pretty good idea of what exactly is effective against Villager in this match-up and I do go over some of the things Mega Man can do to get around Villagers tactics, so be sure to give it a look if you're struggling with any Villagers.

Thank you!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Your thoughts on the matchup with :4greninja:? I am a player of both characters and am debatably among the most prominent players of both characters in my state, and while I don't particularly have trouble with the matchup on either side, it is only natural that I'd love to know how my main and my secondary fight against each other. I even used to main Greninja (or as I like to call him, Gekkouga) myself, but later switched to Mega Man after attending a national and doing better with him than Gren, and he's now been demoted to 2nd rate. Sometimes the secondary becomes the main since he's easier to use and/or a better character lol. Unfortunately, I myself don't get to experience the matchup much: There are hardly any other people in my region that play Greninja at all and I've only seen like at most 4 other people playing him in some of my locals, I haven't played against any of them yet and from what I've seen none of them are particularly good or amazing (or at the very least, none of them are prominent or well-known). There are a few other Mega Men and I've played them with my Greninja, but I felt that most of them were a little below my skill level and that I simply outplayed them more than anything else. I've heard good things about this one other guy in my region who plays MM and is usually considered the best one we have besides myself, he once told me has problems with Greninja and wanted to play me online and so we did, hearing that I play the character (we haven't yet met in person). He beat me pretty badly at first, but eventually I got a little more patient and started getting the better of him, but I still don't know if that's a good measurement of the matchup since it was an online match and while I think he is good, I felt that I adapted overtime while he kinda didn't and I also disagreed with his choice of custom moves (he used Skull Barrier, and I personally don't think its worth taking against Gren and losing Leaf/Plant). I would also still love more challenging foes besides just him too.

The Greninja boards think the MU is 55:45 and that they win it slightly, but I've yet to hear what you guys think from our side. From my opinions its a super even MU for the most part and can honestly go either way. Without customs, it probably favors Gekkouga slightly, and with customs it probably favors Rockman slightly: His weakness is his bad frame data and poor Out Of Shield Options (this character dreads having to push the shield button, abuse it), and while he has the mobility to bypass our lemons, he doesn't really have any safe approaching normals to go with it and overall he doesn't have a great approach game and can't play rushdown, pretty reliant on a heavy bait and punish playstyle like :4sonic:. He's not really going to be winning the projectile war either, uncharged shurikens get cancelled by lemons and charged ones can be interrupted by lemons before he can finish charging and we can jump over them anyway. What he does offer though, is a better damage output than Rockman and can combo us fairly, and while he has no approaching normals he still has amazing air mobility to get around our wall of projectiles and a difficult to gimp recovery, as well as decent (but not good) kill setups. I feel Danger Wrap would pretty darn helpful against him, normally he can completely avoid projectiles by jumping over them and fasfalling but DW and Air Shooter can help cover the air and threaten his landing, & Gekkouga's landing options aren't particularly good outside of Hydro Pump (which DW can still threaten) and we get another option to kill him with. Tornado Hold worsens our recovery and it can get gimped by his Hydro Pump, but works great onstage against him as an out of shield option and he has to think twice about recovering low with it. Customs don't really do much to change Gekkouga's gameplan, and I don't think any of them in particular are effective against Rock, so if he uses any fighting him shouldn't change the way he plays with them on and if he does have them, its arguably easier to deal with him.

Also, since @NinjaLink plays both characters as well, I'd soooo love to hear what he thinks if he were to show up.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Your thoughts on the matchup with :4greninja:? I am a player of both characters and am debatably among the most prominent players of both characters in my state, and while I don't particularly have trouble with the matchup on either side, it is only natural that I'd love to know how my main and my secondary fight against each other. I even used to main Greninja myself, but later switched to Mega Man after attending a national and doing better with him than Gren, and he's now been demoted to 2nd rate. Sometimes the seconary becomes the main since he's easier to use and/or a better character lol. Unfortunately, I myself don't get to experience the matchup much: There are hardly any other people in my region that play Greninja at all and I've only seen like at most 4 other people playing him in some of my locals, I haven't played against any of them yet and from what I've seen none of them are particularly good or amazing (or at the very least, none of them are prominent or well-known). There are a few other Mega Men and I've played them with my Greninja, but I felt that most of them were a little below my skill level and that I simply outplayed them more than anything else. I've heard good things about this one other guy in my region who plays MM and is usually considered the best one we have besides myself, he once told me has problems with Greninja and wanted to play me online and so we did, hearing that I play the character (we haven't yet met in person). He beat me pretty badly at first, but eventually I got a ittle more patient and started getting the better of him, but I still don't know if that's a good measurement of the matchup since it was an online match and while I think he is good, I felt that I adapted overtime while he kinda didn't and I also disagreed with his choice of custom moves (he used Skull Barrier, and I personally don't think its worth taking against Gren and losing Leaf/Plant). I would also still love more challenging foes besides just him too.

The Greninja boards think the MU is 55:45 and that they win it slightly, but I've yet to hear what you guys think from our side.
I believe we have no troubles with Greninja but thats perhaps because Ive never fought a serious one, but I think we have no trouble against water shuryken since we cancel it with pellets when it is beggining to charge and we can easily avoid his grabs and keep distance with pellets

D

Deleted member

Just wanted to pop in with some advice for Link/Tink's projectile spam.
As some of you remember, I had a long post in the Leaf Shield guide, about some things I've been experimenting with.

Well one of them was, how it affects the MU against Link/Tink.

Lately, if I find either of them to be camping with their arrows and boomerangs, I will camp them as well. Well, I find Leaf Shield to be perfect for that. And so far, it has forced my opponent to approach me. Here's one I recorded to share in this thread:

Last edited by a moderator:

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
What the hell smash boards?! When I book mark a page. It means let me know when stuff is posted. Geeze I missed a lot.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Like we even know XD
Where are you gone, @ Locke 06 Locke 06 ?
Hi.

If anyone's wondering why the MU thread has gone stagnant, it's because a new thread is gonna be put up so that I can edit the OP without breaking Smashboards.

Unless someone wants to play facilitator in my place, a new thread will get put up when I feel like it.
Haven't really felt like it lately. Been busy with stuff.

D

Deleted member

So, Sheik..
Funny you mention this. I was on Anthers ladder playing ranked and friendlies with a guy who plays Sheik. Even though I won the ranked set, I felt helpless, much of the time. My opponent said he was relatively new to Sheik, and mains Sonic and Luigi. He mentioned that he was a tourney goer, and that much of his region was free.

He was very, very good.

At first, Sheik seems like the obvious rushdown type of opponent. Much like C. Falcon. So, I attempted to use a lot of lemons to keep her out. But it was when he caught on and started camping me with Sheik that I had trouble. He sat back and drew needles for much of the match. Which disallowed me easy access to the Metal Blade without taking a good chunk of damage. Needles obviously outrange us, and draw faster than we can produce just about any of our projectiles.

In addition, as most Mega Man players will know, Sheik will also negate your lemons/short hop lemons with Bouncing Fish. This was another thing I had to watch for. Because at this point, it was how to approach her? I ended up reading her approach habits and having to react quickly out of shield to get a grab from her FAirs.

I ended up winning the set through aggressive edge-guarding (ledge trumping to bair or ledge trumping to dair).

After the set, we played some friendlies, so I can try to familiarize myself with the matchup. And in everything I attempted to do, the only thing that truly made a difference -- aside from the edge-guarding -- was stage selection.

The matches I beat him convincingly were Battlefield, Halberd, and Smashville/Town & City. Platforms helped cancel out Sheik's ability to camp me, which forced him to approach.

Unfortunately, with the little amount of lag on Sheik's moves, once she did approach, it meant more hit and run tactics, yet, from me.

Air Shooter was great but sometimes negligible, because Sheik and Bouncing Fish out of danger.

I also attempted to use full hop FAirs, landing safely with lemons and hopping back. This was somewhat successful; Half of the time, if not a little over, Sheik's FAir beat it. This kind of stunted me. The range on her FAir is extraordinary and frustrating. And if it didn't beat Mega's FAir, then it exchanged. And due to her speed, it was mostly in her favor. In addition, my opponent then used needles, as I spaced my Fairs, upon landing.

The reason I chose these tactics, is because I got a chance to speak to Mr. R awhile ago, a short conversation, and he recommended when fighting Sheik, to literally run away at times, if you need to. Because Sheik will beat out most everything of Mega Man. And he needs to keep her zoned.

Overall, I felt overwhelmed, as All of Mega Man's, "tools," were somewhat limited. Even though I won, I realize I have a long way to go in that matchup.

D

Deleted member

Oh, lastly, the guy literally told me that he is picking up Sheik because she's broken.

I haven't faced a good Sheik like his before. Typically, I don't have too many issues with Sheik's. But I've never faced a Sheik that could camp, either. And I hate calling any character, "broken." But holy crap, I really don't believe there is anything she can't do.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Not sure how but i double posted... sorry.

EDIT: Or maybe not... i don't get my internet sometimes.

Anyways:
Oh, lastly, the guy literally told me that he is picking up Sheik because she's broken.

I haven't faced a good Sheik like his before. Typically, I don't have too many issues with Sheik's. But I've never faced a Sheik that could camp, either. And I hate calling any character, "broken." But holy crap, I really don't believe there is anything she can't do.
Well, i don't want to say broken, but who beats her?

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Howdy super fighting robots! The Doggy boards are discussing this MU, and would love your input!

Click on this image of 'MURICA MEGUR MENZ to go straight to the thread!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Sheik is a very tough matchup. I use her as my secondary.

She has trouble killing but generally will kill with a smash, vanish, bouncing fish, or an edgeguard. She has a really good offstage game so mix up your recoveries.

She can combo is for days so just be aware of that.

She is relatively light so off the top kills work best.

Also watch out for fairs to jab. Her jab is quick and can beat out a shieldgrab. Which happens offen

D

Deleted member

Sheik is a very tough matchup. I use her as my secondary.

She has trouble killing but generally will kill with a smash, vanish, bouncing fish, or an edgeguard. She has a really good offstage game so mix up your recoveries.

She can combo is for days so just be aware of that.

She is relatively light so off the top kills work best.

Also watch out for fairs to jab. Her jab is quick and can beat out a shieldgrab. Which happens offen
Yeah. Mega Man's heaviness helps out a lot in this matchup. Make sure you've got your DI down to prevent being killed off the top. I found her TIPPER USmashes to be quite dangerous, so watch out for platforms that have an auto-sweetspot for her.

And like you say, she can combo for days, and one thing they'll do, is do a FAir on your shield to an FTilt string. Watch out for that. Sheik's can mix it up very easily with spaced FAirs and FAirs on shield. Definitely don't let her get in on your shield. Stay spaced if you can.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
:4kirby::4metaknight::4pikachu::4lucario: I was told have an advantage against Sheik. :4sonic::4yoshi::rosalina: and a few others are even.
Well, i expected Yoshi and Rosa to be good against her but i still don't see them winning. Lucario i guess cause aura+rage, Pikachu, MK and Kirby probably cause of the size,floatiness,recovery and easier time killing compared to Sheik.
Still i don't think they have an advantage, so far it only seems that they don't lose as bad as everyone else against her.

Also, after getting his throw nerfed, does Sanic really goes even against her?

Greward

Smash Lord
No character beats sheik solidly enough to be considered a counter. Mr R said that her worst matchups are pikachu and customs kirby.
I believe that Mii Brawler is pretty good against Sheik too (even?). Lucario has his aura stuff but I'm not sure, it could be evenish. Yoshi, Rosa and Sonic definitely lose against Sheik. MK I dunno.

As for Mega - Sheik, she outcamps us long range so we have to keep it mid range. Try to bait her into whiffing an aerial move and punish with pellets. Don't use pellets as pressure randomly since she can bouncing fish. Stay very patient, we can't trade hits with an aerial move with her so we have to stay in shield a lot. Spam shield hard and try to get a grab or up smash out of shield whenever she misses up, but we wary of tomahawks or dash grab. Fair can be used to outrange her aerial moves but it requires a very specific situation.
Try to get a ledge trump, she can die very early out of a trump - Bair. She can struggle at killing us if we don't get gimped, but be wary of time out, if she gets you up to 200% before killing the game will probably end in timer.
Up tilt "out of shield" can work against Fsmash and multijab, whiffed bouncing fish and sometimes against the other smashes.
Danger Wrap can be used to trade against a Fair, which is pretty cool. Customs ON does help us. I recommend using beat as the upB in this matchup since she has an easy time gimping the other two.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No character beats sheik solidly enough to be considered a counter. Mr R said that her worst matchups are pikachu and customs kirby.
I believe that Mii Brawler is pretty good against Sheik too (even?). Lucario has his aura stuff but I'm not sure, it could be evenish. Yoshi, Rosa and Sonic definitely lose against Sheik. MK I dunno.

As for Mega - Sheik, she outcamps us long range so we have to keep it mid range. Try to bait her into whiffing an aerial move and punish with pellets. Don't use pellets as pressure randomly since she can bouncing fish. Stay very patient, we can't trade hits with an aerial move with her so we have to stay in shield a lot. Spam shield hard and try to get a grab or up smash out of shield whenever she misses up, but we wary of tomahawks or dash grab. Fair can be used to outrange her aerial moves but it requires a very specific situation.
Try to get a ledge trump, she can die very early out of a trump - Bair. She can struggle at killing us if we don't get gimped, but be wary of time out, if she gets you up to 200% before killing the game will probably end in timer.
Up tilt "out of shield" can work against Fsmash and multijab, whiffed bouncing fish and sometimes against the other smashes.
Danger Wrap can be used to trade against a Fair, which is pretty cool. Customs ON does help us. I recommend using beat as the upB in this matchup since she has an easy time gimping the other two.
I found Mega's FAir to rarely outrange her aerials. And when I did get it, it's because she used her aerial first.

Also, USmash OOS or a grab CAN be good, but dangerous. Her lagless-ness is ridiculous. She's whiffed grabs and dash attacks, and I try to follow up with a grab and she spot dodges and begins her FTilt shenanigans.

I think you're correct in punishing her with lemons. That was the safest I've found.

Ledge-trumping to BAir is also what I've found to be extremely effective in this matchup. And yeah, living for so long feels great. She gets those early combos very easily against Mega Man. And then mid percents to late percents I found myself fighting back very nicely, landing a kill and evening it out.

Top Bottom